What's new

In your opinion, what is the best UK wooden rollercoaster?

In your opinion, what is the best UK wooden rollercoaster?

• Antelope at Gulliver's Warrington

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big Dipper at Blackpool Pleasure Beach

• Roller Coaster at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach

• Scenic Railway at Dreamland Margate

• Tyrolean Tubtwist at Joyland Great Yarmouth

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if this already has a thread, but as Wicker Man, the UK's first wooden coaster in 22 years, opened this year, I would be interested to know which UK woodie is you guys' favourite. According to RCDB, there are currently 10 wooden roller coasters operating in the UK, and a good variety of ages and ride types are amongst these. Do you prefer the vintage thrills of BPB's woodies or the modern thrills of Wicker Man? Or do you like something in between?

For me, my favourite UK wooden coaster is Wicker Man because I personally think that the ride keeps its pace well and has much better, more thrilling transitions than most other UK woodies, in my opinion. I also feel that the ride has some surprisingly intense moments and overall flows really well. The only quality that I would say that is weaker in comparison to other wooden coasters in the UK is airtime; I personally think that Megafobia and Grand National both have more airtime than Wicker Man, but airtime isn't Wicker Man's focus, and I personally prefer Wicker Man's overall layout and coaster experience.

I would be interested to hear some of your thoughts.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Hhmmmm, interesting topic. Got to be Wicker Man for me, love the theming and story but even if it was plonked on a car park I'd still prefer the layout to Megafobia. Here's my overall ranking:

1. Wicker Man
2. Megafobia
3. Big Dipper
4. Nick Streak
5. Grand National
6. Blue Flyer
7. Scenic Railway

Matt N

CF Legend
Seems like I forgot to include my ranking:
  1. Wicker Man
  2. Megafobia
  3. Nickelodeon Streak
  4. Big Dipper
  5. Blue Flyer
  6. Grand National
The reason I've put Nash below Blue Flyer is because of how excruciatingly rough it was. It was very hard for me to enjoy it due to the pain, although based on layout alone, it would probably be right up there with Megafobia and Wicker Man.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
It's Wicker Man. Clearly it's Wicker Man.
Granted, that has more to do with the strength of the competition than it does with the actual quality of the ride, but hey ho. To quote a line - "We work with what we got".

Last edited:

Snoo

The Legend
Megafobia.

As an outside observer, Wicker Man isn't exactly a stellar ride. On top of that, GCI tends to be.. well.. lackluster anyway. Seeing Megafobia gets me excited, even if it isn't the best in the world so if I had to pick, definitely Mega over WM.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Easily Wickerman.

The only thing close to it in reputation terms would be Megafobia but when I rode it it was ****ing pants.

After that, it'd be Streak followed by RollerCoaster at Yarmouth, and then any combination of the BPB woodies that are all a bit rubbish

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Unfortunately, Wicker Man is probably the best we have at the moment, which is a reflection on how poor the rest of the selection is at the moment.

The Grand National of 10 years ago would have completely blown it out of the water, but Nash hasn't aged well, and lacks the insane ejector airtime that it once had. I suspect the same is true of Megaphobia - I only rode it at the last Live, which I believe was 2014, and it was running very poorly, but I can understand why it was once regarded so highly.

Unless those rides get some major TLC over the coming years, it looks like we'll have to continue to go abroad to get our wooden coaster kicks.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Unfortunately, Wicker Man is probably the best we have at the moment, which is a reflection on how poor the rest of the selection is at the moment.

The Grand National of 10 years ago would have completely blown it out of the water, but Nash hasn't aged well, and lacks the insane ejector airtime that it once had. QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. Whatever is wrong with the National now, you can't forget how good it really was. Getting thrown that high out of your seat before seemingly not landing until the very bottom of the drop was brilliant. They could fix it easily with money if they had any.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Haven't done any but Megaphobia looks the most appealing to me. If it's true that it hasn't been running well recently then that's a shame. Wicker Man looks okay, it's hard to imagine that being the best.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Would still be Wild Mouse, but out of the current ones?

It’s been a while since I’ve ridden Megaphobia and I just can’t be sure if that’s still the best woodie we have now, so I’ll have to go with Wicker Man, which to be fair, was really good at the back at the end of the day. I like Grand National also, but without airtime that impresses me quite as much as it used to, it’s a little basic compared to Wicker Man.

I still haven’t managed Antelope or Scenic Railway, but they’re hardly gonna make a dent here.

Peet

Giga Poster
I've been on all of them, it's very hard to choose between Grand National, Wicker Man and Megafobia. I've ridden them all in the last few months (actually I rode Wicker Man today) and I always thoroughly enjoy all of them, although they do pale in comparison to Wodan, Cu Chulainn or Colossos.
I'm going with the Nash for the historical value and moebius goodness.

And yeah, Wild Mouse would be #1 if it was still around.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I haven't ridden Wickman yet #Basic and it would have been Wild Mouse....

However I did have an excellent ride on Grand National last week, back row! Plenty of airtime! So I'm going with that!

I personally thought Megafobia was ****.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
From the ones I've done:

1) Grand National (because I actually felt airtime and its roughness makes it a bit like an endurance challenge)
2) Wicker Man
3) Big Dipper
4) Nickelodeon Streak
5) Blue Flyer

The last two are very boring and Dipper isn't much better.

Will

Strata Poster
I've not done 'fobia in at least 4 years, but I suspect it would still be my favourite.
With the obvious (much missed) example, I don't generally approve of rough wooden coasters. Wickerman is made of 'meh'.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Depressing.

Would have been mouse, but now I don't even have an answer.
Can have a bit of fun on Dipper or Streak depending on how theyre running on the day.
Can't do Antelope.
Forgotten Blue Flyer.
Grand National is the only ride in the world I will never ride again.
Megafobia sucks.
Our brakemen things are dire.
Not gonna acknowledge Tubtwist.
Wicker Man sucks.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Easily Wicker Man, I enjoyed it a lot. grand National and Big Dipper were too rough for me last time I tried them. I rode Wild Mouse once in 2013 and loved it at the time, not sure what I'd think of it if I could ride it now. Nick Streak and Blue Flyer are fun. I haven't tried Antelope or Megafobia

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
I loved megafobia and speed when I went to oakwood, and I thought it was a lovely family park, megafobia is better than wickerman for me, alot more thrilling, but to be honest I prefer the pair of side friction woodies in Denmark to anything over here