What's new

Ideas!

Josh73

Giga Poster
Okay, I know I don't get on here much, but I really need some help. In tech class (shop class), our assignment is to build a flat ride out of wood, pulleys, motors, etc. Anybody got any simple yet unique rides I could build?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^A pirate ship could actually prove more difficult that you'd imagine. You have to have the power source alternating directions, so you either need to do:
-what they do in real life and have wheels that push the ship in one direction then drop out of the way and let the other side work
-some sort of control unit on the motor that changes it's direction
-some kinda of free-wheel type mechanism that would allow the ship to only be powered in one direction.

I think your best bet will be something with just circular rotation involved (ie, no oscillations). What about something like a Scrambler (easy with pulleys etc), Enterprise, Carousel, Starflyer?

Mike

Giga Poster
How about a Whip-style ride?

Something like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKDZfi00jpY[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ethan said:
Drop tower? I have NO scientific knowledge...

I made a drop tower out of Lego once for a CF competition... And a big wheel made out of paper sheep.

So anything should be pretty simple with real building materials :)

dominoes

Mega Poster
I made a chairswing in my class, but I guess that is too easy. How about a ride like Midnight Express?

midnightexpress.jpg

You would have the cars free swinging. Then the center bar runs along a runner, and is attached to a spinning center. The center bar is attached to the spinning center by a hinge.