What's new

Ice Age 4D - Alton Towers & Gardaland

Robbie

Hyper Poster
marc said:
Another dead franchise, what is the point :(
It's not dead. The fourth film comes out in July 2012, and the last one made nearly $1bn at the worldwide box office.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I think what Marc meant was that, well, as a franchise, it's not exactly one with many thousands of massive fan followers. I'm sure there a re a few who will probably be creaming at the prospect of seeing a 4D (eugh) Ice Age attraction, but unlike - let's say - Ben 10, it's hardly anything which is going to bring new people to the park.

Ben 10 is a franchise which is still ever growing and does indeed have a mass following of youngsters (and indeed their families), which is why Drayton Manor brilliantly created an attraction which would garner that audience of fans, similarly with Paultons and Peppa Pig.

Ice Age just doesn't have that sort of fan following, and as such I can see it as a 'dead' franchise even if it still is being stretched to its core with money-grabbing garbage films.

And don't even get me started on 4 **** D cinema... eugh...

TilenB

Strata Poster
I don't know about Alton Towers, but in Gardaland it will probably replace the SpongeBob ride

nadroJ

CF Legend
^It'll go where the Shrek thing was meant to go won't it? Bleh, I don't really care for 4-d shows, I'm sure the kiddies will lap it up so I guess it's a worthwhile addition.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Going in Cloud Cuckoo's Theatre, rather than the Farm tent...

Still dire... Not a great brand, on it's way out (like Shrek and Saw), and will probs see a retheme in the near future if not next year...

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Robbie said:
marc said:
Another dead franchise, what is the point :(
It's not dead. The fourth film comes out in July 2012, and the last one made nearly $1bn at the worldwide box office.

Yeah, marc, owned by a 'C'! :p Heh-heh! JK, JK.

Anyway though, with What Lies Beneath? coming anyway, it's good to have a new attraction to come with it, after all, we didn't really get much last year. Not that it's compulsory for new attractions every year, but it's still nice. Hopefully this will regenerate whichever area of the park it's going to be located in.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
ciallkennett said:
I think what Marc meant was that, well, as a franchise, it's not exactly one with many thousands of massive fan followers. I'm sure there a re a few who will probably be creaming at the prospect of seeing a 4D (eugh) Ice Age attraction, but unlike - let's say - Ben 10, it's hardly anything which is going to bring new people to the park.

Ben 10 is a franchise which is still ever growing and does indeed have a mass following of youngsters (and indeed their families), which is why Drayton Manor brilliantly created an attraction which would garner that audience of fans, similarly with Paultons and Peppa Pig.

Ice Age just doesn't have that sort of fan following, and as such I can see it as a 'dead' franchise even if it still is being stretched to its core with money-grabbing garbage films.
The last film, just two years ago, made more money than the previous two combined and the new one has been licensed for more products and spin-offs than ever before. With the fourth film coming smack-bang in the middle of Summer, surrounded by videogames, toys and TV spinoffs, it's going to be totally in the face of millions of families who'll want to enjoy it as much as possible.

Fox definitely do not see this as a dead franchise and have made lots of effort to make sure those companies (like Merlin) will get a good, lasting return on their investment. And, let's face it, all Merlin are doing is buying a licence, recutting the last film, and adding a wind machine. On two sites they'll get the money back - and, in a couple of years, retheme the 4D Cinema with a new film.

Seems like a good move for Merlin.

marc

CF Legend

Christ.

I did not even know there was a 4th film after the slating that the 3rd film got over promoting child snatching :). For me it was/is a dead franchise.

Anyway if it's that huge then good on them for getting the film.

I liked the 1st film, I did like some of the 2nd one until it got silly and got so many facts wrong. I liked the films for the side story not the main story.

Lofty

CF Legend
marc said:
I liked the 1st film, I did like some of the 2nd one until it got silly and got so many facts wrong. I liked the films for the side story not the main story.

To be fair, I don't watch it for it's Historical/Geographical facts. :wink:

I think it's good that they've actually got on to something like this. When it comes down to it, Ice Age is extremely popular, more so then people are willing to believe. It's got some really fantastic characters that children LOVE. Good on Alton.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
4D Theatre.

Yay.

Excuse me while I just mop up the mess I made in uncontrolable excitement.

marc

CF Legend

I know what you mean Lofty but most of the time kids films try and give some facts etc.

As you say at least they are getting something else for families to do in the park. I never go to that area anyway I don't think I have been round there since the re theme.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I haven't been on many 4D's, DLP, Mingo and Drayton.

I thought the effects on HISTA were great, but Spongebob and Happy Feet not so much, in fact they were both crap. Just like being at a cinema with a rocking seat really.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I know it sounds pretentious, but after growing up with the high quality (although now even these have become very dated) 4-D shows at the parks in Orlando, any other 4-D show I've seen has been absolutely crap and gimmicky. I know that these things are ABOUT being gimmicky but at least TRY and be subtle about it!

Meh, unless they pull of something extra special with this, it's not going to be anything other than yet another film in a box. Not that I ever really venture into the kiddie areas of the Towers enough to care.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
I know what you mean Lofty but most of the time kids films try and give some facts etc.

Which bits did you object to? The fact Noah's Ark happened 16,000 years too early? Mammoths hanging from their tails thinking they were possums? Smilodon hanging with prey? Talking animals?

I think it's all perfectly feasible to be honest ;) :p

If this is going in the Cloud Cuckoo theatre, they excellent. They've had a run of absolutely awful shows in there year after year (somebody from Towers Times will be in soon to tell me off for dissing the shows :lol: ) so this can surely only be an improvement?

Big crowd eater, there's a chance the kids will like it, it might get people back around that area again. It makes sense, but it's a completely unremarkable and unimaginative addition. Big. Fat. MEH

Robbie

Hyper Poster
The third film got 4.5m viewers on Channel 4 last night. If half of them go to the 4-D experience Alton Towers will be very happy!

marc

CF Legend

Yeah I tried watching it after 30 mins I turned it off.

It's very different it being on tv for free than a family of 4 paying £200 to go to Alton to watch a 5 min 4d film. Maybe year 1 will be ok but in the long run probably not.

Shrek 4d in its 1st year had 3 hour queues now days its walk on.

Ollie

CF Legend
£200? That family are getting conned. And you're not paying all that money just to watch a 15 minute 4D film. You're having a day out in one of the top theme parks in the UK.
I reckon it'll be quite popular. When you see 3D/4D shows at other parks the theatre is usually at least 80% full each time so loads of people still enjoy going to see them.