What's new

Ian Watkins Pleads Guilty

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Hadn't found a topic for this, but I believes it deserves one of it's own current importance.

In case you've been living under a rock, Ian Watkins, the signer of Lostprophets (NOT the singer from Steps) has pleaded guilty to several counts of serious sex offences.

It's never nice hearing about this sort of thing, but some of the stuff that was pulled up in the prosecution case has made me feel pretty repulsed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25108439

Given what he's admitted to, I can't see him lasting much longer. He'll either be killed or kill himself. Already been on suicide watch during his time in custody, so wouldn't be suprised if his next headline is his death.

I've been following the story for quite some time, as I've known several with close industry connections, a friend of mine has Lostprophets lyrics tattooed on her, and I know quite a lot of people whose teen idol has now been reduced to a hate figure. I used to host sanctioned 14+ events, and one of the last songs we played at the end of of the night was Rooftops (one of their biggest hits) and the crowd went crazy for it - that memory has been rather ruined.

If there is any good to come out of this, it's that people shouldn't be afraid to come forward to report this, no matter who the person is, or what their standing is in society.

Thoughts please...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Guess I live under a rock, as do most Americans, since I've never heard of him or the band. Neither has Aidan or his girlfriend, who I just asked. I also checked Billboard and "Last Train Home" is the only song to make it into the U.S. Top Ten (at #10) and "Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)" made it as high as #22, so no real impact here. At least not as much as the Pete Townshend charges, even though this is much worse.

marc

CF Legend
I had no idea about this either tbh until slayed made a status about it and a asked what happened.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Yh, I think unless you grew up in this 'scene' you won't know who he is/ Still doesn't make it any better for those of us who had posters of him on our walls <///3

EthC

Mega Poster
I can't even look at him! He totally used his fame to do this, hope he rots for it!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I heard about this when news first broke - it's awful.

The thing is, anything you did before it came out there's nothing to really feel bad about. The rest of the band didn't seem to know anything about it - so there's no issue morally or feeling weird or anything about having their posters or buying their stuff before you knew. It's kind of what it always was.

It's the same with the albums I have of theirs. Are they now null and void because of this? the money has already been spent, and while I guess you're still "supporting" them by listening to them (and it is a bit odd) - it's still just the same music you liked. Though out of respect, I am getting rid :lol:

I also saw them live once, and they were actually really good. Has no relevance at all :p

But yeah, disgusting man and he deserves worse than is coming to him.

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
A girl i know claimed to be a groupie way back when these guys first got going. Back then she said she'd slept with him a couple of times (Might have been 15/16) but i bet shes feeling a bit crappy now!

A lot of people are saying they wont be listening to their music anymore, but its not like the music is related to anything he has done over the years?

Although this video now seems a little strange, especially when you notice what watkins says in the intro!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZzgN7efCoE[/youtube]

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I always thought the Lost Prophets were ****. Obviously the singer spent too much time raping children to concentrate on making good music.

Now if only The Feeling and Scouting For Girls had a Jimmy Savile moment, then the world would be rid of crap bands.

Oh and yes, string the bastard up, I'd pull the lever myself etc.