What's new

IAAPA 2018

Pear

Strata Poster
If anyone will be at the show for the next couple days would you mind getting some photos of the new GCI trains including the backside? Asking for a friend who is trying to model them in blender!

Peet

Giga Poster
Not exactly a revolutionary change from the milennium flyers is it?
Given their inverting concept model, maybe these infinity flyers are designed to go upside down whereas milennium flyers are not.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Given their inverting concept model, maybe these infinity flyers are designed to go upside down whereas milennium flyers are not.
That also may explain why GCI have never even made an overbanked turn.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I wonder if these Infinity Flyer trains will also replace Millennium Flyers in general, and if so to what extent. Are the Infinity trains only for inversion coasters, or will they also be used for non-inverting, but thrill to extreme rides?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Actually, they are. Although these look like a modernized version of the Millennium Flyers, this chassis has a completely different architecture. The big difference is that this new coach appears to have a flat floor, which allows for a higher, more open seating position, more outboard lapbar pivot points, and a ****load of package space underneath for that brand new suspension and who knows what else. Millennium Flyers, as great as they are, basically utilize a flanged bucket with the wheel bogeys mounted to the side walls and flanges and the seats mounted to the rear wall. Boodley likely designed the millennium flyers this way to fit as much hardware as he could between the rails and lower the heartline. Doing so ultimately drove the lap bar pivot points inward to allow space for riders' outboard legs.

I wish I could take a peek underneath this coach - I'm sure I could pick out a bunch of other improvements if I was looking at a better photo or the real thing.

That also may explain why GCI have never even made an overbanked turn.

Although this is possible, I honestly believe that the only reason they haven't built one is due to customer requests or their own conservative, traditional mentality. GCI did a 90° banked turn on White Lightning, which has plenty of structure behind it - I don't see why they couldn't push the tops of those ledgers out a few more degrees and achieve an overbank. But GCI has a ton of pride for building traditional, pure wooden roller coasters and customers know this. They likely just haven't been asked to build one, and their model is their way of showing that they're open to building something more exotic.