What's new

How good is McAfee?

Ollie

CF Legend
I find it funny how everyone with a Mac defends it with all they've got.
I've got a few lecturers in college with Mac laptops and it's funny to tease them.
Yes it may be better but I'm happy with a PC at the moment so each to their own. :p

mrclam

Giga Poster
Macs are just pcs (literally - the inards are exactly the same) in an expensive white box...

But back on topic.. download avast is my recommendation

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Now that they are Intel based, yes. But their are still some differences. OS X is far better, and if I want to, I can run Windows in Bootcamp. Funny, Windows runs better on a Mac than it does on a PC! Figure that one out?

I use Zone Alarm on my Bootcamp partition and I don't find it intrusive at all.

Homer

Hyper Poster
All you need to know about Norton, PIFTS.exe is a dangerous program that comes with Norton.

PIFTS.exe is a recent Norton embedded "feature" which is logging all Google searches and cookies, then sending a report to several agencies, including not only Symantec but also Microsoft, a strange server in Africa and a government server in Washington D.C.

Google PIFTS.exe.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Anti-virus is anti-virus.

My family PC goes between Norton and McAfee, whichever is offering a cheaper deal.

Also, buy a Mac.

A Mac costs the same as a comparable Windows PC, no viruses (only exist in theory), superior Operating System; you will never look back.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hyde244 said:
A Mac costs the same as a comparable Windows PC, no viruses (only exist in theory), superior Operating System; you will never look back.

No, it costs a premium of around 25%-30%.

Plus, I can get a Windows PC for under $200 which will do absolutely EVERYTHING Mr Nash wants. What would the cheapest Mac be then?

This is what I hate, it's the inability to look beyond the love of the box and what people actually spend and actually do.

Macs are excellent machines, but there's a reason they only make up a small percentage of PC's. If Macs were as cheap and flexible as Mac owners say, then they'd command the largest share of the market as they ARE great machines with an excellent OS. So sorry, but Mac is a limited viability option.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Well I'm still happy with their 30% rise in sales in a declining market. That must be saying something about them. With more sales, Apple can lower their prices or as the are doing now, giving much more for the same price.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You need to live in 2009 Erol, not 2007 ;)

Recent sales report said:
Mac sales were down 1 per cent November compared to 2007, while Windows PCs were up 7 per cent year-over-year. NPD credits Cupertino's lackluster performance on Apple being harder hit by declining desktop sales.

The total number of desktops pushed out in November dropped 20 per cent reports NPD, with Windows boxes falling 15 per cent and Mac desktop sales down a whopping 38 per cent year-over-year.

Oh, and one from three days ago
latest Apple news said:
Apple Inc.'s retail sales, which fell by more than 5% in January, plummeted nearly 17% in February compared with the same month in 2008 as the company's high prices continued to take a toll, research company The NPD Group Inc. said today.

"They had a pretty crummy month," said NPD analyst Stephen Baker. "Some have noted that they had some tough year-to-year comparisons, but this is a little more concerning than just comparisons."

During February, Apple sold 16.7% fewer Macs than in February 2008, while PC sales, which account for the bulk of the computer market, were up a dramatic 22% year over year.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
PMSL!

Erol. If the question of this topic was "Which shoes should I buy". Your answer would be a Jag.

Even if the topic said "I walk 200 yards to work, and spend all day on my feet, which shoes do you recommend?" your answer would still be a Jag

This is because:

a) You own a Jag (well your Dad does).
b) Because you own it and love it, it is the absolute answer to everyone's transport needs - practical or not, within budget or not - it IS the answer!
c) Hurrah and all that :p

I have no idea why Mac owners have a poor name which puts people off buying their products? :p

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I'm going to double post. Why? Because I can.
I give you -

Nike Air Macs

nikeairmacs.jpg

sponsored by Jaguar.

Beautiful!!!