What's new

Houston, Texas | Grand Texas | Theme Park

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Showing off their ambitious plans at a recent press conference, Grand Texas Theme Park developers will be looking to fill the void that Six Flags AstroWorld left when it closed in 2005. In addition to the park, which will be situated on 150 acres, the master plan includes Big Rivers Water Park, that will sit on another 40 acres of land.
The two parks are just part of the overall development of Grand Texas Sports and Entertainment District near New Caney, Texas. There will also be a 450,000-square-foot shopping and restaurant district called DownTown Texas, a ballpark that will host professional- and independent-league baseball games, a 200,000-square-feet event center that will host a professional hockey team, a 90 acre sportsplex with baseball and softball fields, and at least two hotels and an RV resort in an area called Hospitality Village.
The first part of the master plan to be delivered will likely be the water park, which is slated for April 2015, with the theme park having a summer 2015 opening. The master plan includes 22 more acres for future expansion.
Initial renderings show that there are plans for at least three major coasters (a woodie, steel and mine train coaster) as well as a kiddie cred.

Click on images to enlarge.
main-street_page_05.jpg

main-street_page_04.jpg

main-street_page_03.jpg

main-street_page_02.jpg

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

Source: http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/spri...cle_11277cc4-4e80-11e3-9865-001a4bcf887a.html

Park's website http://grandtx.com/venues/grand-texas-theme-park/

Hutch

Strata Poster
Looks like a pretty cool location for a park. I'm especially looking forward to see how the new coasters turn out. Gives me another good reason to take a trip to Texas (which probably won't happen anytime soon).

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: Houston, Texas | Grand Texas | Theme Park

Since it will be north of the city, instead of landlocked in downtown like Astroworld was, I see this having potential. Houston needs a park since it's one of fastest growing cities and the closest thing is Galveston. Considering for North Houston suburbs (where this is basically going) it's up to 2 hours to get there, good location.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
So just to clarify...this isn't at the same location that Six Flags astroworld was at. Different location. Right?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: Houston, Texas | Grand Texas | Theme Park

Its up north, New Caney, about 30 minutes from downtown off I-69.

GeForce

Roller Poster
Yes the location is different since the old location has been used by Reliant to expand their sports complex. It would be very interesting to know if the wooden coaster will be a new version of the Texas Cyclone since a lot of people loved that ride at Astroworld.

CoasterWild

Mega Poster
ECG said:
Showing off their ambitious plans at a recent press conference, Grand Texas Theme Park developers will be looking to fill the void that Six Flags Astroland left when it closed in 2005.
Err, Astroland is a different park in Coney Island. :roll:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Can you tell that I live in New York City. :oops:
*Fixed

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Grand Texas announces "Lasso" mascot and Flint Ranch-themed zone, where horses, bison and longhorn cattle will graze beside the roller coasters.

Grand-Texas-theme-park-horse-mascot-HORIZONTAL_120108.jpg

The 14-acre ranch area aims to tap into Texas' agricultural roots for low-key diversions ranging from horseback riding to a petting zoo. ... A farm house building and barn will sit at the center of the ranch to offer pony rides, a hayloft playground and a chance for city slickers to try their hand at milking a live cow. ... Just west of the farm area, a large equestrian arena will house Grand Texas’ Best of the West Show, a regularly-scheduled performance similar to the over-the-top cowboy events made famous by "Buffalo Bill" Cody. Expect a blend of daredevil stunts, musical interludes and comedy. The venue also will host official amateur and professional rodeo competitions.
Source: http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...eady-for-agritainment-at-houstons-theme-park/

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Time for an update.

After two months of land clearing...

1901240_626933224042022_1638847065_n.jpg

10246546_626933497375328_1969021028_n.jpg

...there is signage! =D>

10299515_641927959209215_4655287078222530801_n.jpg

10171840_641928039209207_5795044198993352417_n.jpg

From the park's Facebook page.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Work has resumed after a two month delay.
The Grand Texas Entertainment District is starting to take shape.
Heavy equipment is turning dirt just off State Highway 242 in New Caney, transforming it into a 610-acre theme park.
Monty Galland, the CEO of GT Operating Company, the company developing Grand Texas, says a major milestone was reached earlier this month.
“Our construction was stalled temporarily while we were waiting for the construction loan to be complete,” says Galland. “That has been completed, and so we are now in the process of resuming development of the infrastructure.”
The loan was supposed to have closed in July; but work on the site delayed the closing to Sept. 17.
The park will open in four phases.
A sportsplex featuring amateur ball fields is slated to open in the spring of 2015.
That will be followed by a waterpark around Memorial Day.
Then in the spring of 2016, the amusement park is slated to open.
And finally, an events center that will one day be home to a minor league hockey team will open in October of 2016.
Source: http://news92fm.com/480368/work-on-grand-texas-getting-underway/

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So they delayed the park until 2016? Probably smart.

When I was there last week, a lot of people were talking about it, and we are still nearly two years out. Fourth largest city in the country needs a quality park that will also pull from New Orleans, which this should. I have high hopes for this park, which I know I shouldn't. Considering the growth of Houston and how valuable that land will be in a few years, it's good that they purchased that much land.

For a reference on growth, one suburb had 30,000 residents in the 90's, today they have over 70,000 students.

Spatte7263

Roller Poster
My grandparents live 2 minutes from this park. It's not in Houston, it's in a town just outside of Houston. Plus, Kemah Boardwalk isn't exactly tiny, I think Kemah Boardwalk filled the void well so far.