What's new

Hopi Hari Suspends Operations

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I was under the impression that they're relocating, but can't remember where I heard that now.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Alton Towers had a shuttle?
Yup, Thunderlooper was located where Blade currently sits. It operated from 1990 to 1996. https://rcdb.com/798.htm

I'd always thought I'd end up travelling to Brazil at some point, and Hopi Hari was likely to feature, so hopefully Gavin's comment is correct.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I was under the impression that they're relocating, but can't remember where I heard that now.
It was Brazilian Mirabilandia that was relocating, not Hopi Hari. They've been struggling heavily ever since that drop tower accident in 2011 (or 2012). They've also closed down their operations for a few months last year, but then managed to reopen later in the year. Funny thing how they advertised they are finally building their Intamin 10 inversion coaster after their last re-opening, even though the ride has since been sold on to a park in Malaysia...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Ah, yeah, that's the one I was thinking of.

I didn't know about the Intamin relocation to Malaysia though. Any other details?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Hopi Hari is a complete and utter mess at the moment. I've been following the parks issues for a while.
In April they had their electricity cut off because they couldn't pay their bill

The saga with the Intamin has dragged on for years. I'm not 100% clear on the details but there was some legal battle over who actually owned it with the man/investor that owned the nearby shopping complex. He took ownership of the ride in lieu of debts owed by the park to him. He then sold it on to Movie Animation Park Studios (MAPS) in Malaysia.

The ride has basically been in Limbo for years and the park couldn't afford to put it up anyway. After the investor sold it I saw pictures of it being loaded onto trucks and shipped off. Then days later Hopi Hari announced they would be opening it in 2017 (Which obviously isn't happening) and was basically a complete lie as they no longer owned the ride and it was on its way to another country.

Then there is MAPS itself which is another mess at the moment. Severely overdue (Was supposed to open in December) and not finished yet. They announced the purchase of the coaster last year and it still hasn't shown up. I have no idea what's going on now. Its been ages and two parks still claim they are opening it.

Having said that I will be surprised if Hopi Hari lasts the year. Just hope someone picks up the shuttle and the Intamin spinner.

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
The campaign to bring ThunderLooper back to Alton Towers (or anywhere in the UK) starts here!
See if we can make it the only coaster to cross the Atlantic three times, let alone twice.