What's new

Holiday World | Mammoth | Water Coaster

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yep, world's longest water coaster called Mammoth.

1,763ft long.
300ft lift/conveyor hill.
53ft first drop at a 45° angle.
Six person raft with individual seats.

POV:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px2OJpgOm74[/youtube]

With obviously be in the Splashin' Safari water park and it opens in May 2012.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Mammoth, water coaster for Holiday World

Well that's depressing and good I guess.

Depressing in regards that they have the 3 best wooden coasters you can find in one park, and they just need something to compliment it. Everything they do is gold, so with a steel coaster, we all know it would be gold.

In terms of being good, the waterpark is quickly becoming top notch. They seem to have that area of the country locked down in turns of best waterpark, and I can only imagine Schlitterbahn is on their radar to pass in superiority, but not for a few years still.

And how much land does Holiday World truly have? I remember when I went in 09, there was literally nothing in terms of buildings around it.

Jer

Strata Poster

Negative Gs on what is basically a water slide doesn't sound fun, it sounds painful, especially since...I dunno there aren't any restraints in those rafts, unless they're not the rafts im thinking of. Still it doesn't sound fun.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

hmm... Two big watercoasters in two years?
Maybe they should change the name to Splashin' Safari and Holiday World?

;)

Martyn B

CF Legend

Why has this even been stickied? Its a bloody water slide. NEVER in a million years is it a coaster....

Snoo

The Legend

Very meh tbh. Water rides are meh.. even if it is a water 'coaster'.

michaellll

Mega Poster

The fact that these are six person rafts impresses me. This will be a water ride done right.

D1993

Hyper Poster

Hm will this ride looks totally awesome and a whole lot of fun. The elements of being in the dark, being forward, backward, sideward, the fact that it goes for so long and so many people can go at one time I think make this ride really amazing and I wont be surprised at all if mammoth doesnt get 'best new water ride' and 'best water ride' golden tickets.

However, it just seems kind of unneccesary. What it really is, is a larger and better scale of wildebeest. I dont understand why they are doing this now as they already have the record for longest water ride. (beating their own record kinda make me laugh really).

its just that its kinda similar to wildebeest, just an upgrade (dont get me wrong I still think the ride would be fabulous), but they just added wildebeest and I was really thinking it was time that they were going to get a new coaster. They even had those surveys sent out concerning what type of roller coaster people would want at holiday world. Maybe they didnt get a good response and lots of the GP responded in a way that prompted Holiday World to delay the addition of another (perhaps steel) roller coaster.

The addition of this particular ride kinda confuses me though. To me its like adding xcelerator to a park and then two years later adding top thrill dragster. Both rides are freaking amazing, yet wouldnt it be better to add something completely different? Well maybe Im wrong as Holiday World and Splashin Safari is really family focused and they do listen to what the majority of people want, I personally think.

Either way, Splashin Safari is looking to be a really good freaking water park. Theyve got so many good rides now (Mammoth, Wildebeest, Zinga, Bakuli, Zoombabwe).

by the way is this the whole 9 million spent. maybe we can expect something else small?

tomahawk

Strata Poster

^This is costing $9 million. And I am sure this is to limit the ridiculous lines Wildebeast was getting. Still, a eurofighter would have been much better.

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ yeah very true some steel coaster would have been better. Wow thats alot of money for a water slide. Although its so long and the troughs are so wide. Plus 6 people rafts and there would be lots of rafts in total I guess its easy to see how it can all add up.

Martyn B

CF Legend

the fact that it goes for so long and so many people can go at one time I think make this ride really amazing

Or, it could just be really boring and repetative.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I'm getting a big fat "meh" vibe from this.

It does open the questions "what actually is a water coaster?"

This is a slide but because of the uphill parts, it could be considered coasteresque. However, imo, a coaster track based.

Martyn B

CF Legend

This is a slide but because of the uphill parts, it could be considered coasteresque.

The Masterblasters at Butlins and Alton go uphill too, and they've never been debatable.

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ I definetly would not count this as a roller coaster credit. Its not even water coaster debatable like the Mack water coasters.

D1993

Hyper Poster

Martyn B said:
the fact that it goes for so long and so many people can go at one time I think make this ride really amazing

Or, it could just be really boring and repetative.

Well im assuming its just going to be a better version of Wildebeest (and I really think the hydromagnetic water coasters are heaps fun). I would assume that this is just gonna be more fun being pushed uphill, maybe going backwards or whichever way. Really an upgrade on wildebeest sounds like alot of fun although I guess we have to wait until opening to see. Opening day is when by the way?

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

It does open the questions "what actually is a water coaster?"

My view is that it's a hybrid between a rollercoaster and a water ride, so basically a water ride with rollercoaster elements like Journey to Atlantis at Sea World Florida.

I'm sure this will be a great ride but on the pov it looks a bit repetitive in some places!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

Coaster or not, This looks a brilliant ride and when it is built, if I ever go there, it'll give me a reason to leave the main park and go into the waterpark.

michaellll

Mega Poster

So I was reading an article that holiday world posted on their facebook, and I end up reading this juicy piece of journalism:

it’s not just the roller coaster world coming up with new ideas– In the roller coaster world, the latest creation is a stand up coaster that opened up at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey. The coaster, themed after the Green Lantern movie, is the first of its kind.

http://www.longislandpress.com/2011...veals-plans-for-worlds-biggest-water-coaster/

Not terribly on topic but I thought some of you guys would be interested in this blunder lol.