What's new

Highest throughput coasters in the world outside of Disney and Universal?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Capacity is often a huge part of the decision making behind parks buying a major coaster, and it can also hugely influence the guest experience. Some of the highest throughput coasters in the world are located at theme parks owned by Disney and Universal, but I’d be intrigued to know; from your experience, what are some of the world’s highest throughput coasters not owned by Disney or Universal, both in terms of theoretical throughput and how fast you feel the queue moves?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Silver Star stacks on the lift hill with three trains - that must be the closest to "theoretical" capacity ever. With around 3mins per lap and three trains, that puts it at +2100pph.

When running the "power hours", Cedar Fair parks can do a pretty great job too. I've seen Maverick and Fury 325 absolutely devouring their queues. I'm sure the locals to those parks would have more detailed accounts. Perhaps @Hyde even has some official figures from somewhere?

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Olympia Looping is in with a shout. In London it ran I think 4 trains with a separate member of staff checking each rows restraints. I've never seen that approach anywhere else, the trains barely stopped in the station as a result.

Like others have said Silver Star is the definitive answer to the thread. Huge 36 seater trains and fast dispatches. I visited last year on a rainy September weekday when the queue never went above five minutes and it was on three trains all day, absolutely beautiful.

Matt N

CF Legend
Olympia Looping is in with a shout. In London it ran I think 4 trains with a separate member of staff checking each rows restraints. I've never seen that approach anywhere else, the trains barely stopped in the station as a result.

Like others have said Silver Star is the definitive answer to the thread. Huge 36 seater trains and fast dispatches. I visited last year on a rainy September weekday when the queue never went above five minutes and it was on three trains all day, absolutely beautiful.
Ah, I forgot about Olympia Looping; that one was almost scarily efficient! The queue was practically never stood still, and when they added a train, it literally took about 10 seconds!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Lisbergbanan is listed as having a throughput of 2000pph on rcdb. Don't know how close it actually gets to that, but it certainly feels like it could be up there - queue flies through!

Also, not necessarily in the heart of the topic, but needs mentioning... Th13teen at Towers absolutely surpassed any expectations with its throughputs. I'm sure during its opening weekend I heard it got around 1500pph, which is insane for what it is. I think that ultimately it led to having some modifications with the trims shortly after opening because it was reaching the second lift hill too quickly and actually caused shutdowns?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Silver Star stacks on the lift hill with three trains - that must be the closest to "theoretical" capacity ever. With around 3mins per lap and three trains, that puts it at +2100pph.

When running the "power hours", Cedar Fair parks can do a pretty great job too. I've seen Maverick and Fury 325 absolutely devouring their queues. I'm sure the locals to those parks would have more detailed accounts. Perhaps @Hyde even has some official figures from somewhere?
I would swear we had a thread on ride capacities aeons ago; of official RCDB capacity listings, one of the largest coaster capacities we caught was Iron Dragon, listed at 2,000 riders. It too has a 3 train operation, and simple loading procedure (jump in and ratchet down the OTSR), meaning ride ops don’t need as diligent a “fit test” on restraints as risk of riders falling out is minimum. Gatekeeper also gets an honorable Cedar Fair mention at 1,710 throughput.

For Maverick and Fury 325, they are listed at 1,200 and 1,470 respectively. Silver Star is listed at 1,750 however, so indeed there are other theoretical factors that can influence that number. But doing quick samples on RCDB, B&Ms do come up often as capacity machines. With huge seat counts and comparatively easy loading procedure (clamshells and OTSRs), they make for shorter pit stops in the station, especially if running with no seat belts. By the RCDB count, I think Incredible Hulk might take the cake at 1,920 pph. (On the IoA hunch, I also checked Hagrid’s; 1,700 pph)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Official figures aside, Europa Park stands out in my memory as being the pinnacle of efficient operations. Euro Mir's queue never stops moving, the mine train is in the station roughly 20 seconds before it's off again but, as others have said, Silver Star is the one to beat. That thing devours queues like a hoover sucking up a piece of string - it's a thrill just to watch! I've joined a queue for Silver Star that stretched outside and wrapped all the way round the building, a good 3 hours worth at any Merlin park, but we were on in about 20 mins. It's amazing!

Will

Strata Poster
I've joined a queue for Silver Star that stretched outside and wrapped all the way round the building, a good 3 hours worth at any Merlin park, but we were on in about 20 mins. It's amazing!
I had an argument with the family at the weekend about whether 'German efficiency' exists.

I told them to shush and go to Europa.