What's new

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: "Skyrush" - Intamin Hyper - Hersheypark

^ Obviously I dont know for certain, but I'm pretty sure Millennium Force doesn't hit its brakes at 65mph.

Snoo

The Legend

I'd say at least 50mph.. but agreed with you.. not certain and I've been on it hundreds of times.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Official word on the restraint system to be used on skyrush is the same restraints found on I305 with just a little bit more slack.

Switching between the hideouts'...

CMR1993

Roller Poster

Where did you hear this? I work at Hershey, and last I heard the the restraint system is yet to be decided.

Thom25

Roller Poster

I am sure the Q&A video that Hershey is suppose to release Monday or Tuesday of this upcoming week will answer than and many other questions.

Snoo

The Legend

Who knows. Maybe employees are the last to know. ;)

Intricks

Strata Poster

A group of people were involved with a meet and greet with those behind the Project 2012 game. They said that Skyrush will have the same restraints as I305, but with a wee bit more slack.

CMR1993

Roller Poster

Hmm that's odd that no one knows anything about this? Oh well at least that is probably the answer, if it is I really am not complaining I like those restraints!

Intricks

Strata Poster

No, it is the answer. Hersheys Park Manager even said thats the restraints to be used.

Josh73

Giga Poster

Am I the only on who doesn't get where will the station wil go?

And it's too bad they need OTSRs. I'm not a huge fan of that decision...

P.S I'm new

Intricks

Strata Poster

It needs OTSR due to two seats being floorless and higher forces. Lap bars most likely will be limited to Mega-Lites from now on due to recent events (although the one was extremely avoidable).

Cant remember where for the station, but I know tilt a whirl is being moved for that reason as well as a few shops and one restroom being demolished near there as well....so that general area of the park.

marc

CF Legend

What was the problem on a Mega-lite, I never read about anything happening?

Also I thought they need to use OTSR due to the brakes and it has nothing to do with the floorless seats?

Intricks

Strata Poster

Not on the megalites, but issues on taller coaster pulling more forces (S:RoS incidents).

Yes, the floorless seats have everything to do with an OTSR. There is no floor to attach the restraint to. While brakes may be a helpful reason to use OTSR, it isn't the only reason. Intamin is being forced to look at the design of their car and the forces pulled. While the most recent SRoS incident was nothing short of human stupidity (lack of lap for lapbar to hold down), the fact still remains that someone had previously fallen out while riding a SRoS ride (not sure which park, but I do believe it was Darien Lake. Correct if wrong please). While the addition of an ankle bar was put into use as well, that still meant there was a flaw in the design if all other companies that use a lapbar had no issues with people falling out.

marc

CF Legend

^If they go that way by using more and more bars then what is the point making an air time coaster?

Yes safety comes 1st but the example you have used is due to a ride op and not the fault of the coaster.

B&M have floorless trains and do not use an ankle bar. Baco is a floorless train and does not use an ankle bar. This coaster will probably use a similar design as the ones they use on Baco.

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
Re:

Intricks said:
Yes, the floorless seats have everything to do with an OTSR. There is no floor to attach the restraint to.

Well couldn't the use this type of restraint on the out side. It's the same thing as the OTSR just without the belts going over.

Amusement3_big.jpg

Thom25

Roller Poster

Intricks, the accident you're referring too happened at Six Flags New England's RoS, where the ankle restraints were added to the existing train. Fortunately, they now have new trains which only have lap bars and reconfigured deeper seats. Both deaths were operator errors unfortunately.

Intricks

Strata Poster

^^ Shoot the rapids restraints wouldnt work as they arent meant for airtime, just to keep you in your seat. The ones on Furius Baco are the same as Maverick, an OTSR. So long as a bar comes over your shoulder to hold a restraint in place, it is an OTSR. Plus, if you followed the game, all safety hints were always stated as a "5 point safety harness" (www.lamarcusbros.com). Im glad the ride is at least getting the soft version with a wee bit more slack than I305.

^ Ah, thanks for giving me the correct park! I knew it happened at a Six Flags park, just couldnt remember which one for the life of me.

Thom25

Roller Poster

Oh please don't get me started about the Game. It was VERY fun, would do it again in a heart-beat, and can't wait for the next one because I made a ton of new friends, but there were VERY few facts about the ride buried within it. The lift isn't 212 feet, the length is no where near 5k, and the train holds more than 24. Yes, I remember the 5 point comment on la marcus brother, and agree it's a OTSR with the new I305 restraint, but that seems to be the only real fact about the ride in the game.

I do wish more parks would have similar games, because it really was FUN, and can't thank Hershey enough for their forward thinking viral marketing campaign. (So please don't mis-interpret my comments about the game, it just irked me how few facts were in the game, as you pull one of the few ones out) :--D

Intricks

Strata Poster

It is worse when they actually came out and admitted that they had to make more for us to find/figure out and that we looked WAY too much into every little thing. They never did admit if we had any hard facts found about the ride (VERY few as you have stated), but certain clues did lead us in a proper direction. The clayton letters were basically all about the train lol.

So much fun was had during this thing. I do see them doing this game again just as grand as this one was done. I honestly hope other parks take after Hershey and do a mass viral campaign for a new ride (closest being The Swarm at Thorpe).