What's new

Hersheypark | Laff Trakk | Maurer Söhne Spinning Coaster

Jer

Strata Poster
http://www.hersheypark.com/2015/

Laff Trakk is the first indoor, spinning, glow-coaster in the United States. This family friendly house of laughs spins riders through an exciting adventure of sights and sounds complete with glimpses of colorful characters, a dizzying hall of mirrors, and more! Laff Trakk is the fun house of the 21st century offering a new experience with every ride.

They are calling it a glow coaster, the video is pretty choppy, but it looks just like a standard compact spinner.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Hershey Park | Laff Trakk | Spinning Coaster

Its a clone of Steel Dragon at Waldameer

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Yes it's just a spinning Gerstlauer. But may I remind folks of the fun mayhem that is Exterminator at Kennywood - an indoor Reverchon spinning mouse.

This should be a fun indoor coaster.

Jer

Strata Poster

If its a clone of Steel Dragon then its a Maurer Sohne Hyde, Either way those things are fun outdoors, indoors it will be even better.

Edward M

Strata Poster

I think this is a great choice. I think a family coaster will be a good idea for the park. I've not been on one of these yet, but I like spinning coasters in general and love the theming.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Sorry - yes, it is a Maurer Sohne build. Hersheypark says the coaster will be 1,400 feet long, which is closest to the SC2000 model that is Steel Dragon at Waldameer and Whirlwind at Seabreeze. The first drop in the video also appears to look the same. http://www.maurer-rides.com/files/amuse ... Lagoon.pdf

It is my least favorite spinning roller coaster model, but being inside will help.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Exterminator used to be fun. Now all the trains I have gotten onto have squeeled and not spun.

You can weigh the one end on Laff Trak at least and make sure you get one HELL of a ride from it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^^ I quite enjoy Reverchon spinning mouse coasters. You may too considering it is your avatar. ;)

^ I rode Exterminator last year with one other person - we were able to get the weight right for some good spinning.

andrus

Giga Poster

This will be an awesome attraction! I love Maurer spinners, and indoor with all those added effects I think Laff Trakk will be a blast :--D Great find Jer!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

Hyde said:
Sorry - yes, it is a Maurer Sohne build. Hersheypark says the coaster will be 1,400 feet long, which is closest to the SC2000 model that is Steel Dragon at Waldameer and Whirlwind at Seabreeze. The first drop in the video also appears to look the same. http://www.maurer-rides.com/files/amuse ... Lagoon.pdf

It is my least favorite spinning roller coaster model, but being inside will help.

You need to try the compact ones like at skara sommerland - yeuch!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

I came to the forum for the first time in a little while, clicked the "show new posts" button for this thread that promised a new coaster for Hershey Park, and saw this:

Intricks said:
Its a clone of Steel Dragon...
For the tiniest fraction of a second, my heart beat a little faster. Then I read the rest of the sentence.
...at Waldameer
Oh.

Then I read the rest of the thread title. "Spinning coaster". It had to be too good to be true, didn't it? Of all the Steel Dragons not made by obscure Asian manufacturers out there, they had to clone this?

Oh well, it's probably going to be a great addition to the park, yadda yadda...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
This video was posted a week ago, but better late than never.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P_w-in3zX0[/youtube]

Intricks

Strata Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DATPj-Yn7E4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Oh god, I hope this works. Doing it mobile and shiz.

So the major points to take from this video is:

- The sheer amount of accessibility Hersheypark is going for, to make sure that anyone and everyone within the 42in height requirement to ride. This will have multiple entryways, with a specific queue that will split off at some point for those that are disabled/handicapped. Another of the queues will be one that is strictly focussed outside with a queue for those that are unable to handle the themeing they will be doing.

- This will house their strongest "No loose Articles" policy to date as they will be unable to stop the ride at anytime during park hours. Either beginning of the day or end of day is when any lost items can be retrieved.

- They did tease about having the ride open during any and all weather, as well as hopeful hint towards having this run during their christmas Event.

- This will spin at a top RPM of 30, no more. So the weighting it to one side may not work well in this scenario.

bmac

Giga Poster
After the PR disaster they had with Skyrush last year it doesn't surprise me that they're going all out with the disabled access line.

I'm not exactly sure what went down at Hershey but from what I've been told it had something to do with a person in a wheelchair being denied the ability to ride after they came up the elevator. Followed up by a lawsuit, whole nine yards. I'm sure Hershey wants to avoid that ever happening again with their future attractions.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Went back and fixed the Youtube video. I think you may have copied the shortened Youtube URL, while the youtube coding for the forums only works with the long-hand Youtube URL. (Don't worry, I've done the same)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's been a month since this topic was last used. I guess not many of us are turned on by it!

I'm certainly not turned on by these bland looking trains.
B_0laCCWcAA6rmZ.jpg:large

I still think the whole ride experience packaged up will be fab though.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I think that this will be fantastic but with it being indoors it's hard to really speak about what it does because updates are few and far.

Seems like a great family/thrill coaster for the park.