What's new

Hersheypark | Chocolatetown | 2019/2020 Park Expansion

Matt N

CF Legend
There is also the speed hill, which I don’t think Behemoth has, and the finale is a little different because Candymonium has no MCBR. I think the turnaround might be a little different as well, as well as the fact that Candymonium is not quite as tall as Behemoth. The trains are also different, but that’s nothing to do with the layout, which I know is the main thing you’re discussing.

Apologies if this comes across as awfully pedantic, but those are some of the key differences I personally noticed.

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't think Gazza strictly wanted a detailed mandate on the differences, but good going Matt N ;)

You literally could argue the 'what's that different about it' with most other B&M Hypers, they all deliver a relatively similar experience, but they're all quite solid coasters (apart from Diamondback and Raging Bull...).

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
But to @Hixee's point, I'm not sure what Canada's Wonderland did to Behemoth, but it's MUCH better now than when I rode it in '08 and '12. Although the layout only features the hills and helices, the trains hold pace much better, to the point where pacing seems to be almost on par with Candymonium. And at the very least with Candymonium, the pacing is top notch. Even if the ride provides floater over every hill, at least the ride's cookin' with oil.

Matt N

CF Legend
Oddly, I find that B&M hypers seem to get more well liked with age, on the whole. A number of them seem to get rave reviews now, but had somewhat more lukewarm reviews when they opened. A few I can think of include:
  • The aforementioned example of Behemoth
  • Intimidator (Carowinds)
  • Mako
  • Silver Star
  • And I’m sure there are more
Hopefully Candymonium should be similar. Do you guys agree?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The only problems I have with Silver Star are that it is shaky as hell and the drop is no way near as good as Shambhala's. That being said it's airtime is really good quality, and when I rode it all the trims were off.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I agree that the drop is nowhere near as good as Shambhala's but when I rode in September it was butter smooth.

Matt N

CF Legend
I’ll be really interested to see some CFers ride this; if you do ride this, post your opinion here, if you wouldn’t mind! Is anyone riding this any time soon?

I’m very interested to see how this compares to other B&M hyper coasters in people’s rankings. From having watched POVs and seen some footage, I’d probably say this looks very, very comparable to Mako, although I’d probably give this the slight edge as it looks to hold its pace slightly better. What do you guys think?

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Silver Star is tremendous.

I think this has potential to be one of the best hypers out there. It takes those hills at some serious speed.

Skyrush is a different beast though and can't be compared to anything else, it's so unique. When I think back to my marathon evening Skyrush sesh last year and how ****ing good it was - number 2 in my top 10 seems too low ?

Ethan

Strata Poster
I can't fault Silver Star, what's wrong with it?
I mean I can't speak for all, but the valley's were rattly as hell and no airtime (front or back). And I rode it later in the day in 38 degree weather. But as I said, that's just my experience with it (4 rides on it)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I mean I can't speak for all, but the valley's were rattly as hell and no airtime (front or back). And I rode it later in the day in 38 degree weather. But as I said, that's just my experience with it (4 rides on it)
I agree completely about the valleys, however the airtime post mid-course was fantastic as I rode with no trims.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I agree completely about the valleys, however the airtime post mid-course was fantastic as I rode with no trims.
Tbf the pop coming out of the mid course was pretty fab, as was the last airtime hill, but the rest of it did nothing for me.

Pear

Strata Poster
Rode it many times on Sunday and Monday. The ride itself is very fun and is a good fit for the park. However, the airtime is not as intense as Mako so while it is not as good as that, it is still the 2nd best B&M hyper I've done. I noticed the Kisses (Blue) train was trimming the most out of the three and the other two ran much better. The first trim barely affects much, but the last one absolutely kills the final hill.

Chocoaltetown overall looks really nice and fresh however the lack of shade and foliage to break up the massive paths makes it look kinda bad. Hopefully it is still in an unfinished state and they add more shading to the paths because all the charm the old entrance had was ripped away.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Rode it many times on Sunday and Monday. The ride itself is very fun and is a good fit for the park. However, the airtime is not as intense as Mako so while it is not as good as that, it is still the 2nd best B&M hyper I've done. I noticed the Kisses (Blue) train was trimming the most out of the three and the other two ran much better. The first trim barely affects much, but the last one absolutely kills the final hill.

Chocoaltetown overall looks really nice and fresh however the lack of shade and foliage to break up the massive paths makes it look kinda bad. Hopefully it is still in an unfinished state and they add more shading to the paths because all the charm the old entrance had was ripped away.
I also feel that the old entrance had a lot more spirit than the current one does. Out of interest, what was your favorite element on Candymonium?

Matt N

CF Legend
Very interesting to hear someone who came off preferring Mako; I’ve heard from most people that Candymonium rides very similarly, except it solves all of Mako’s inherent flaws; neither of these things personally detracted from Mako for me, but the strong trim and the somewhat weak ending seem to be many people’s gripes with Mako as a ride, and from what I’ve heard, Candymonium neither trims hard nor peters out.

Pear

Strata Poster
what was your favorite element on Candymonium?
The drop or the helix exit. The drop has great air and the helix exit on the right have good floater and some laterals.

Very interesting to hear someone who came off preferring Mako; I’ve heard from most people that Candymonium rides very similarly, except it solves all of Mako’s inherent flaws; neither of these things personally detracted from Mako for me, but the strong trim and the somewhat weak ending seem to be many people’s gripes with Mako as a ride, and from what I’ve heard, Candymonium neither trims hard nor peters out.

Candy's airtime is a lot less intense than Mako's. While Mako's ending is quite bad the first half is much more intense than all of Candymonium. The first hill alone on Mako is better than everything on Candy and Mako's speed hill is also better. Candy trims hard on the 2nd trim and that final hill barely has floater which is very disappointing.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Yeah the similarities are there and while I expect Candy to be very good, I wouldn't expect it to be better than Mako... although a general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't go in expecting a ride is the best of its type.