What's new

Hershey 7/25/2020 (and first park of the year)

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
So wasn't sure I'd even go to park this year, but dang it...can't say no.
Wasn't sure what to expect, and was a mixed day though not all could be helped, some was on me, and I understand these are just not ideal times to do solo parking.
BTW I don't usually do photos...we've seen em all and people take better ones, but figured I'll break up the words, and some of these are just too beautiful :D (plus new ride!)

First, Candymonium. Hate the name, but I get it. Didn't like the color but in person actually looks pretty cool. Impressive looking ride, especially how it's RIGHT THERE upon entrance, over paths, the cool turny bit.
20200725_105915.jpg

20200725_152323.jpg

20200725_110044.jpg

20200725_120900.jpg

20200725_160559.jpg

As for the ride itself. It's solid.
Good, not great. Certainly not bad and better than eh. It's solid.
There is solid airtime. Not the best floater, (needless to say didn't expect ejector) but pretty good, esp back row and later in the afternoon. Some force in the helix, not gunna say forceful but it's not nothing. Solid layout, though short. I hate to be that enthusiast...but the trims! 1st, I really didn't notice, so I kept it out of mind, but the 2nd has bite. I felt it each time, and it's fairly substantial. I don't think this is enthusiast nitpicking it's pretty noticeable, even has that sound....what sounds like air deflating as you feel the speed being let out... shame because that hill is killed and the cool turny part is lame. Would've been better without. But ah well. Too soon for a rating, but it's either #3 or 4 in the park depending how generous I feel to Great Bear. But a solid addition to the growing lineup!

Ops were horrendous. The line really wasn't that physically long, but took an hour. Later it was 20-25 minutes but by that point it was quite short. I am NOT an expert on this at all, so IDK but not sure if Covid had a role? Yes, it slows it down I get it, both why and how, but beyond that...it just was painfully slow. Like trains just sitting there, perpetually 3 stacked and for long periods. If this is just how ops will be, I shall deal.

Onto Skyrush. Forgot how insane this ride is, and it still holds up!
That airtime, the whip around those turns, and that drop back row. Dear god yes. Line was quite short and ops moved quicker. Got 3 rides in under an hour, and 2 more later.
20200725_121601.jpg

Onto Storm Runner, which I was crushed to see is "Temporarily closed for the season"
So, temporarily or for the season?
This was my fault. Didn't check and I should've. Shame b/c that was a crushing blow.

Great Bear. Still fun, still love that wild drop and reminds me of older days when B&M's were still forceful.
20200725_124231.jpg

Fahrenheit that glorious mess. Still better looking than it rides, but it's solid. Ops were OK. Frankly the line was shorter than a typical day. Perhaps moved slower...but still better than usual, where I'd say 1, 2 hours!

20200725_143706.jpg

20200725_145436.jpg

What else to say? Lightning Racer is great. Skipped Wildcat, I like a rough ride but that has reached needs RMC territory. SDL is pure nostalgia and for the sake of it. Was closed but eh who really cares and frankly, my last visits 6 and 7 years ago I recall it barely being open.
Also it was horribly hot. I was really feeling drained, and I got a 2nd free day so decided to circle back do my last 2 Skyrush and 2 more Candymonium.

So, solid day.
My fault for being surprised with Storm Runner, and my fault for going in July. I never go to parks between mid June and mid August and I try to avoid weekends. So my fault for being exposed to this heat, and while lines were often slow....they seemed like they were physically shorter than should be. I guess the ops negated this. Perhaps this just needs to be understood and in the future...a fast pass bought. Though I will try to go again later....an Aug or Sept weekday. I guess the park handled things well. Distancing on lines were largely ignored, and I guess unenforced but what can they do really? Ops were rough, it was hot as blazes. Some of this I can address, others well is what it is. Least the first park of the year is done, in this weird year.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Might just be me (although have tested on phone and desktop), but the images aren't loading for me. I get a 403 Access Denied error from Wordpress.

Glad to hear some more first hand experience of Candymonium though - sounds pretty much where I thought it'd be. As you put it - Good, not great.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Might just be me (although have tested on phone and desktop), but the images aren't loading for me. I get a 403 Access Denied error from Wordpress.

Glad to hear some more first hand experience of Candymonium though - sounds pretty much where I thought it'd be. As you put it - Good, not great.
You're right, after showing up for me they're now not there. Lemme try to fix that. I see them now so please let me know!
(I'm starting my coaster blog so deff need to make sure it's not screwed up)

As for Candymonium ya know...its both as expected but a tad disappointing. I knew it'd be floater air and yes, those trims were there. Yet I really did kind of expect more from the floater air, and it really just wasn't there even on the speed hill. A few nice moments, like it was clooooose, but not there.

Last edited: