What's new

Helix or Maverick

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
These are the two top coasters on my bucket list. I love how diverse both are. Both high intensity and good airtime. Which is better?

Darren B

Giga Poster
Maverick is fab but it doesn't even deserve to me mentioned in the same sentence as Helix. Helix is just the best <3

ThomVD

Giga Poster
From my experience, unless you get stapled (which happened last year but not this year), the airtime on the main two hills of Helix has been the best of any coaster I've done (including Expedition GeForce, Goliath, Balder, etc.). It's just so strong and sustained, the restraints work perfectly and the trains give you plenty of freedom. Also, the placement of them on the hill-side give you an extra sense of height and an amazing view. The last hill at night makes you feel like you get ejected towards a lit up Göteborg, it's something else <3

The twisty hill before the pretzel loop gives you some lovely floater and again, a good view, but is not a particular highlight. You do get an amazing pop of airtime mixed with loads of laterals at the dive after the Zero G Roll. It's fierce <3

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
^That post just made me so happy haha. I didn't realize the airtime was THAT good! I thought it looked great, but now I want to take a trip to Sweden even more

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Ummmm as much as I love Helix and think the airtime is pretty decent, it's not THAT good Thom. I wouldn't hold Helix up as an example of an airtime machine.

Haven't ridden Maverick so I can't compare the two but I'd assume Helix is more of a complete package of a ride. I love it because it has airtime and terrain and speed and near misses and launches and interesting elements and a cracking view over the hillside. It's like a fine wine of the coaster world...lots of subtle layers all building up to something wonderful.

Except better, because wine is awful.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Well, I have ridden both EGF (which has significantly more airtime than bro Goliath) and Helix many times over the past summer and Helix's airtime is definitely on par, if not better. Purely focussing on strength of airtime here. Don't even get me started on Balder, which has WAY weaker airtime than Helix and is still considered an airtime machine. So unless all of those aforementioned coasters aren't airtime machines, then I don't see why the airtime on Helix could not be on par.

To be fair though, I didn't remember the airtime being THAT amazing last year. This year it actually took me by surprise how amazing it was. Maybe it has improved this season (in which your comparison with wine would be spot on :wink: )? Or I caught it on two exceptional days?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Have you ridden both though? What makes Maverick better?

Or is it a case of "I've ridden Maverick; therefore, it's better"?

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
gavin said:
^Have you ridden both though? What makes Maverick better?

Or is it a case of "I've ridden Maverick; therefore, it's better"?
Yes I've ridden both.
I honestly just found maverick more fun. Helix was still really fun, but I found maverick a little better. I think maverick is better because
It had better airtime (please don't hurt me)
The second launch
Was overall more intense.