What's new

Have you ever made a backyard coaster?

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
If I ever get a 3D printer and a bigger backyard I'll try to make a launched backyard coaster (the launch will be using a spring(a lever will be attached to the front of the spring. Once the rider is all strapped up and ready to go, the ride OP will pull the car to the middle of the station, the Op will pull the big lever to the back of the station, and pull the lever to the left. The spring will hopefully will hit a block of wood under the trains with incredible force which will then launch the train at high speeds. How safe the method would be, I don't know.)

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I haven't because my garden back home is far too small. If you want to make one yourself go for it but you'll need to plan carefully and it requires you to commit and follow through- even a small one could take up to and over a year.

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
cjbrandy said:
I haven't because my garden back home is far too small. If you want to make one yourself go for it but you'll need to plan carefully and it requires you to commit and follow through- even a small one could take up to and over a year.
I know. Also I'd need to get a permit (I don't even know how to get one). So Far the elements I've thought of is launch, El Toro style sustained ejector airtime hill (the first 3 elements), a intense 180 degree helix, another curve to the left, zero g roll over the 1st airtime hill, a sharp curve, a El Toro style twister section, a few airtime hils (one with a trim), the brakes, a curve, some more brakes, then you return to the station. My family is planning to move to Texas, and the house we're looking at has a 1 and a half acre backyard. I just hope I can get a steel printing 3d printer, some super super super glue, and a permit.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Firstly, don't expect to build an El Toro-sized coaster with a 3D printer in your backyard. And good luck even building a coaster. Secondly, 3D printers don't print steel. They print a type of plastic. Even if you were to build a coaster using plastic, use PVC pipes. Also, that launch system sound incredibly unreliable(a piece of wood would not hold up the force and speed you're imagining). The best shot is a lift hill, which is labor-inducing in itself. Try K'Nex first, then go onto model coasters. Then to basic backyard things, then finally to small coasters. You can't get bigger than Blue Flash, which is pretty primitive in itself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF6irUskuUY[/youtube]

And if you want a basic idea on how to build backyard coaster, I highly recommend you watching Will Pemble's YouTube channel. He has made 4 homemade coasters I believe. It's not a tutorial, but it's still a good starting point.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9F1oi-iiMDuruSxeAHJQGg

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Firstly, don't expect to build an El Toro-sized coaster with a 3D printer in your backyard. And good luck even building a coaster. Secondly, 3D printers don't print steel. They print a type of plastic. Even if you were to build a coaster using plastic, use PVC pipes. Also, that launch system sound incredibly unreliable(a piece of wood would not hold up the force and speed you're imagining). The best shot is a lift hill, which is labor-inducing in itself. Try K'Nex first, then go onto model coasters. Then to basic backyard things, then finally to small coasters. You can't get bigger than Blue Flash, which is pretty primitive in itself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF6irUskuUY[/youtube]

And if you want a basic idea on how to build backyard coaster, I highly recommend you watching Will Pemble's YouTube channel. He has made 4 homemade coasters I believe. It's not a tutorial, but it's still a good starting point.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9F1oi-iiMDuruSxeAHJQGg
1. I never said it would be as tall as El Toro. I can't afford a giant crane, how can I even hope to reach that height. I just said it would have El Toro like sustained ejector.
2. I'm subscribed to Will Pemble
3. There are 3d printers that print metal.
http://3dprinting.com/metal/
4. Again it's not gonna be very big
5. What about metal
6. I just thought to myself where am I gonna get a giant spring

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^Trust me, it's much more efficient(and cheaper) to just buy steel. And even so, it'd be $5,000,000 at least. I never said it'd be that tall, but that large/long would be way too time/man power consuming.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I suppose you could make a backyard coaster with some airtime and the other elements you mentioned, just expect it to take a really long time. Guywithastick's idea of starting with model coasters is good. Post updates with pictures in this thread when you start!

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
^Trust me, it's much more efficient(and cheaper) to just buy steel. And even so, it'd be $5,000,000 at least. I never said it'd be that tall, but that large/long would be way too time/man power consuming.
Why do you think the cost would be in the milions? It would probably be in the 1000's-10,000's but how the millions? And also I doubt the track length would go past 1000 ft. Most of the airtime hills would be very small and sharp (if that makes sense), and the curves wouldn't be very big like i305's first turn. I won't deny that it would be very time consuming and man power consuming. It would probably take several years to complete.

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
cjbrandy said:
I suppose you could make a backyard coaster with some airtime and the other elements you mentioned, just expect it to take a really long time. Guywithastick's idea of starting with model coasters is good. Post updates with pictures in this thread when you start!
Thanks. Also it will be several years until I manage to
A. Buy a house with a big enough back yard
B. Get a metal printing 3d printer (which would be more expensive, but would require less work as I could just 3d print tracks/ supports/a giant spring/parts of the train), or I could buy steel (which would be less expensive, but would require more work as I would have to build all the supports, track, and train pieces).
And
C. Stop being a procastinator (I would be posting a pic of land getting prepared for footers when the ride was being tested).
I'm also not going to recreate a basic idea using K'nex as I don't work well with small pieces as my hands get really sweaty using them, and I drop the. I will try to recreate it using rct3 (shouldn't be too hard).

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
Keep believing. You can make anything happen.
Yes! Somebody understands! :--D
MOMMY! I'M GONNA BUILD A COASTER TO THE MOON!
In case you couldn't tell that was sarcasm to battle sarcasm. While there's a low chance this backyard coaster ever happens, I can make a clone of blue flash, or whatever it's called
owentaylor121 said:
This topic is just so pointless.
We both know this will never happen.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
How is this thread pointless? Can you read? The title clearly says "have you ever made a backyard coaster". Not "Hey here's my plans for a backyard coaster".

mouse

Giga Poster
Ayy Lmao said:
How is this thread pointless? Can you read? The title clearly says "have you ever made a backyard coaster". Not "Hey here's my plans for a backyard coaster".
But the topic text consists of your plans for a backyard coaster...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
mouse said:
Ayy Lmao said:
Exactly. The topic title is the only park what doesn't go on about your plans.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
My dad and I built something coaster-like when I was younger. Our backyard is hilly and has woods at the edge. What we did was we took a length of cable two smaller pieces and created two loops of cable around two trees, one uphill from the other, and used turnbuckles to connect the long piece to the loops and tighten it. We strung a pulley onto the long piece and attached a rope holding a plank of wood to it to make a cart. Add in a platform courtesy of redneck engineering and we had a coaster-like-zipline-play equipment-fun for drunk adults at neighborhood parties-thing. It wasn't a coaster, I don't count it in my count, but it was fun. It's no longer standing because the uphill tree supporting the platform and half the device had to be cut down due to an invasive species that killed it. But it was a ton of fun, and the part at the bottom of the hill was in the woods so gliding down the hill a few inches from the ground into the Forest was a great deal of fun, especially at night.

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
mouse said:
Ayy Lmao said:
That's just a wet dream. The actual point of this thread is to see if anybidy on the forums have created a backyard coaster.
This community... :roll: