What's new

Have Height Restrictions Increased in the Past Few Years?

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
I don't think they've changed at all, and it must be partiially to do with the parks because if we look at B&Ms:

Nemesis: 1.4m
Dueling Dragons: 1.37m (54")

Oblivion: 1.4m
SheIkra: 1.37m (54")

Air: 1.4m
Manta: 1.37m (54")

So there we see evidence of parks being able to influence the height restriction due to their familiar measuring ways (presumably easier forr British parks to round off to a tenth of a metre, and Americans to an inch).

The Crazy Loop changed from a 1.2m to a 1.4m at Pleasure Island I remember, and recently the Boomerang went from a 1.4m to a 1.3m.

Butlins has hideous height restrictions. I went when I was a fairly tall eight year old and couldn't ride anything without an adult (something I wasn't used to, as at many parks I could ride most rides on my own).

Artichoke

Mega Poster
As long as height restrictions don't go passed 5'3 where I'm from, then I'm fine. Either that, or I'll have to wear platform shoes.

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
In a way, height restrictions aren't really that prevalent anymore, since the age of 8 i have been tall enough to ride everything that has come to pass me, and i think that it is that case for most adults that once you reach a certain age you are bound to be at least the minimum height, whether that's at 8 or 18 you will eventually be tall enough to ride everything. so why does it really matter if the restrictions change? as long as you are tall enough...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
OfficialAltonTowers said:
height restrictions aren't really that prevalent anymore

Apart from on basically every ride in every park in every country in the world?

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
gavin said:
OfficialAltonTowers said:
height restrictions aren't really that prevalent anymore

Apart from on basically every ride in every park in every country in the world?

Not really, as once you reach 1.4m you are basically tall enough to ride everything, so unless you are under that height why does it matter?

What's the point of moaning about how the height restrictions have changed, you are tall enough to ride, so who give a ****, whats the problem no one really cares! Moreover, unless you have really little children, of which i have none, when was the last time you checked a height restriction before getting on a ride, i thought so ....

Ben

CF Legend
A. You can actually be too tall, but, not the issue.

B. Not everyone is a childless Scrooge like you who doesn't give a **** about kids. I am, but, some aren't. For whatever odd reasons they have. Breeders... *rolls eyes*

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
C. Have a look what the word "prevalent" actually means?

Yes, height restrictions are prevalent; they exist for basically EVERY ride in EVERY park.

marc

CF Legend
A lot of people are going on about this i.e Merlin and the log flumes. If they did not increase it they would have had to install lap bars like Disney have done.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Exactly, and that really sods up dispatch times and will certainly lower the throughputs, and only really Loggers and Falls could get away with that due to them being a straight line station... Flume would be absolutely buggered...

Gonna make a point on restraints on Battle Galleons now as it's Mack and hence slightly linked... God there was a right little prick on it yesterday, who literally got out of the boat onto the platform near the shark to chuck a bucket of water at people...

Unfortunately, he didn't get stranded... THAT would've been hilarious... But it does prove a point that it's not the younger kids (0.9-1.2m) who are the problem, at least, not when alone at any rate...

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
gavin said:
C. Have a look what the word "prevalent" actually means?

Yes, height restrictions are prevalent; they exist for basically EVERY ride in EVERY park.

Ah, I do apologize, i was trying to use posh words again :shock:,

I meant not important or not relevent, not that they don't exist or are redundant in any way

again i do apologize, but my point stands that if you are an adult of a certain age and/or height it shouldn't matter if the height restrictions change, and for the most part it doesn't matter, only in very few cases, and anyway who does care, as long as the ride is safe and the proper checks have been carried out, im not worried or the slightest bit bothered...

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
spicy said:
Rattlesnake at Chessington height limit increased due to the ride being more intense than they thought it would be or the fact it throws you around quite a bit.

I think it went from 1.2 - 1.4.

I've always wondered why it's higher than fury's height limit!