What's new

Happy Valley Wuhan |"Dauling Dragon"| Gravity Group

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Martin & Vlemickx Rides (MVR) has announced a new Gravity Group designed, racing and dueling wooden roller coaster in Wuhan, China. It will be an impressive ride with two tracks full of airtime, twists and turns. This new ride will open in 2011 in Wuhan at a sister park to the Happy Valley Shanghai park where we designed Fireball, the country’s first wooden coaster.

Here’s a quick concept sketch that Anthony created demonstrating one of the highlights of the ride, the racing camelback banked at ninety degrees, dubbed the “high five.” As more information can be shared, no doubt, it will be displayed here or on our Facebook page.
http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Gravitycast
high_five.jpg

I'm not sure where those bastards over at Theme Park Review got the press release. It's not on the Martin & Vleminckx site. Hell even The Gravity Group links to them!

The latest Wood Roller Coaster element HIGH FIVE will be delivered by Martin & Vleminckx to the new OCT Park in Wuhan, China. This is the second delivery for MVR to OCT, the first being the first Wood Roller Coaster ever in China and the most popular ride in the newly opened OCT Shanghai Park.

Working closely with their design and engineering partners The Gravity Group, MVR is creating innovative elements for Wood Roller Coasters that bring new and exciting additions to the historical Wood Roller Coaster. This is just the beginning for new innovations to come from MVR!

The delivery to OCT Wuhan will be the first Racing Wood Roller Coaster in Asia and the track length will be twice that of the Fireball delivered to OCT Shanghai. Completion of the new Racing Woodie is planned for late summer, 2011. It will be ready for the park opening in late 2011.

The rolling stock Timberliner is the latest State of the Art Wood Roller Coaster trains from MVR’s partner Gravity Kraft. These new Wood Coaster trains are fitted with the latest ergonomic seat restraints which eliminate the need for the traditional seat belts in Wood Roller Coasters and creates the opportunity to do elements like the HIGH FIVE. The new restraints also substantially increasing capacity. The Timberliner trains are the Platinum Standard for Wood Roller Coasters.

Hot of the drawing table is the attached sketch of the HIGH FIVE element and as the ride develops more will come on this exciting element which brings a new dimension to a Racing Coaster.

Stand by! At this year’s IAAPA show in Orlando, Martin & Vleminckx will introduce another first for the Wood Roller Coaster market! MVR is the leader in the Wood Roller Coaster field and is continuing to expand the horizon for Woodies. MVR is the WOOD ROLLER COASTER PRO delivering the latest and greatest wood roller coaster innovations to the amusement industry!
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... =2&t=55917

It's a pretty sweet element! I'd eventually like to see it used in a dueling section.

kimahri

CF Legend
Would be cooler if the trains were going in opposite directions in all honesty. Then again, that might happen or be an incredibly bad idea...

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
kimahri said:
Would be cooler if the trains were going in opposite directions in all honesty. Then again, that might happen or be an incredibly bad idea...

This. If they were going in opposite directions, then that would be one of the the best duelling interactions, since the loops on DD.

Nic

Strata Poster
Yeah, for safety reasons, it'd never be close enough to actually high five eachother. I guess it'd still look pretty cool though.

Brookes

Giga Poster
I was telling my mate about Joris en de Draak this morning and I said it would be cool if there was a duelling woodie where a high five concept would be possible when they go past each other, and then this comes up which is quite weird. Unfortunately they're not going in opposite directions but it still looks awesome.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This looks great. And I'd say we'll see one which goes in opposite directions within the next ten years, if this becomes a hit.

CMonster

Giga Poster
That looks really cool, although the reverse directions one would be awesome.

Too bad I'll never ride it, though.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Construction has begun on this baby & all I have to say is - why is this place so damn remote?!

The Gravity Group has posted a lot of photos on their facebook page:

164347_501691869027_45279469027_6089261_6534747_n.jpg

164852_501691969027_45279469027_6089265_5177075_n.jpg

163139_501691919027_45279469027_6089262_35064_n.jpg

166317_10150092708839028_45279469027_6147300_4425601_n.jpg

179865_10150092708894028_45279469027_6147301_4407493_n.jpg

181674_10150101982479028_45279469027_6278641_7454118_n.jpg

182622_10150101982499028_45279469027_6278642_231228_n.jpg

180910_10150101982579028_45279469027_6278645_7593103_n.jpg

180114_10150101982604028_45279469027_6278646_2788100_n.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPkZ8fy5Uo[/youtube]
Yummmmm

Xpress

Strata Poster
They put this video on YouTube back in November...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPkZ8fy5Uo[/youtube]

TGG is getting better with their NL previews...[/youtube]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
<3

I absolutely love this layout. That "high five" double 90 degree banked turn simply looks epic.

Nic

Strata Poster
This....

180910_10150101982579028_45279469027_6278645_7593103_n.jpg

is just so sexy. Lets hope another one of these bad boys gets built in a real country that's not a gazillion miles away.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I hope that the High 5 thing involves the trains being a lot closer together to each than in that first pov...

Otherwise it's not really a high 5 is it?

Nic

Strata Poster
That was never going to be the case though, surely? You only get away with it on other racing coasters (such as 'Nash) because its only on relatively slow sections, and because it was built before the words "Health" and "and" and "Safety" had ever been used in a sentence together. Now, I know they're not exactly adverse to the odd theme park accident in China, but surely even they aren't going to go round asking for a lawsuit?!

Nic

Strata Poster
Indeed. That did actually occur to me after I'd clicked submit, but I was too lazy to go back and edit.

PS. Just watched the NL simulation, and it raises an interesting point. If the two trains are not level when they go into the "High 5" element, then it's going to be a bit pointless and crap.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Nic said:
If the two trains are not level when they go into the "High 5" element, then it's going to be a bit pointless and crap.

Exactly my point...

Can understand the need to have them at different points due to hands and limbs and what-not... Surely though there's a possibility the width of the gap between the two made slightly larger in order to compensate for it and hence allow the trains to run parallel to each other...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm sure this is going to be like the loops on Duelling Dragons (or whatever the **** it's called now). The trains are going to be separated by quite a good distance, so even the tallest riders on each train wouldn't actually be able to touch. It's much more a visual element to the ride than a interactive element. It'll look great offride (see the loops on DD) and it'll look fantastic onride (again, the loops on DD), but they're never actually going to get close enough to be dangerous.

It's the timing that will make or break his. If they can adjust the speeds as well as they can on DD, then it'll work really, really well. If they offset the trains by too much, then it's simply going to be a bit ****ty and they might as well just have two separate coasters with the Stengel Dive type hill found on Goliath.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It'll be timed to go through at the same time... Unless there are none-Chinese riders on the train in which case they'll stagger it ;) [/racism]