What's new

Happy Valley Chengdu | Western Regions Heaven | B&M Dive Coaster

toofpikk

Mega Poster
is that a new trim mechanism? never seen those sort of magnetic looking fins on a B&M before

anyone know of any others that have em?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hopefully nothing like.
Do you not like HRRR, then? I must admit, while I didn’t love it, I actually quite liked it; there were some pretty good pops of airtime and good pacing, it was a long ride and while it wasn’t the smoothest, I don’t remember it being that rough by any means!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Do you not like HRRR, then? I must admit, while I didn’t love it, I actually quite liked it; there were some pretty good pops of airtime and good pacing, it was a long ride and while it wasn’t the smoothest, I don’t remember it being that rough by any means!
Nah, I thought it was a bit pants. It was lumpy, the cars/restraints suck, the layout has weird changes in speed, and let's be real it's hardly got the best setting.

Dunno, just thought it was naff. Then again, I'm sorry to say I think that's the case for most Maurers...

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, the concept of it is fab, sadly the fact they used Maurer is the reason it's ****e. The fact their own trains ripped themselves apart and UOR had to get another manufacturer to build complete new trains says enough...

Matt N

CF Legend
Yeah, the concept of it is fab, sadly the fact they used Maurer is the reason it's ****e. The fact their own trains ripped themselves apart and UOR had to get another manufacturer to build complete new trains says enough...
Really? HRRR’s trains look fairly similar to other Maurers’ trains to me; might this be the reason why the restraints don’t tighten in the way that other Maurers like G Force apparently used to?

Also, I wonder who manufactured them; maybe Premier Rides, as Universal has a fairly solid relationship with them?

I must admit, considering that UOR probably originally wanted a B&M mini hyper a la Hollywood Dream (I presume? Someone please correct me if I’m wrong), I was always surprised that they picked Maurer over another manufacturer of hyper-style coasters like Intamin; Intamin could even have provided a vertical lift hill, as they did a vertical lift on Fahrenheit!

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, a manufacturer (won't mention which) did in fact completed redesign the trains and told UOR not to mention their involvement with the project because the ride is that badly manufactured that they didn't want their name associated with it... ?

True story.

Also, there's no proof anywhere that they wanted anything different. It's Universal, they could afford whatever manufacturer they wanted - what it would've come down to was how much 'bang for their buck' they'd have got with each manufacturer. It just would appear that Maurer would've pitched a project that was more in line with their expectations and desires than the other manufacturers that would have tendered the project.

Just how Vekoma and Intamin also tendered for Icon, but Mack won the tender (potentially because it best suited their ideas, potentially because Amanda has a great tie in with the Mack family and potentially because of the reliability of Mack Rides).

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Just how Vekoma and Intamin also tendered for Icon, but Mack won the tender (potentially because it best suited their ideas, potentially because Amanda has a great tie in with the Mack family and potentially because of the reliability of Mack Rides).
Lol whenever I go to the Pleasure Beach Icon seems to always break down when I'm queuing for it. Maybe just bad luck on my part?

Nick13

Mega Poster
HRRR was built under GE’s ownership of Universal when the parks were nowhere near as successful as today, until WWoHP opened in 2010 and Comcast came in to invest a lot more into the parks.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the ride go in the next few years to be replaced with something of a better quality. If they had enough cash to replace Hulk like for like, then I’m sure they can upgrade HRRR to something more worthy of the park!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Honestly, a Gerstlauer Infinity similar to Kärnan (but better) would be a million and three times better than this ever was. Or maybe even something like a Mack hyper similar to DC Rivals.

Lofty

CF Legend
It does have a 'relatively soon' shelf life, but nobody knows exactly when that is. It's been plagued with issues and still is including rollbacks and breakdowns on the lifts etc. that mean people are stuck for up to a few hours in the scorching sun, hence the brake fins down the entire drop that slow the train much quicker if it rolls back.