What's new

Hansa Park | Kärnan | Gerstlauer Hyper Coaster

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
^ That's what I thought it would be as a longer 8x4 train for example would probably require a really strong lift hill motor to pull it up the vertical lift hill.

Lofty

CF Legend
This thing is just ridiculously huge; I need to ride it. I really hope that they have some lifthill effects much like FVN.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
10469670_703277859755347_3363130994859793447_o.jpg

Lol, ridiculous considering Fluch is towering enough when standing under it...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The links weren't behaving for some reason Lofty, but I've fixed them now.

Yeah, I would assume the bottom picture is showing something in the maintenance shed. It won't stop the trains rolling off the end (with the outside the track wheel assembly used on this ride that wouldn't work), so my guess is maybe for allowing them to put the trains on? The smaller rail diameter and curved sections would help 'guide' the wheel assemblies into place.

If that's not the case, I'd be interested to know what it is for...

peep

CF Legend
That's a fairly long ride time but I bet most of that time is the lift hill of ridiculousness. Excited to hear it has dark ride sections (that'll annoyingly be bare until 2016).

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm looking forward to seeing the theming going on the tower and if they can somehow 'blend' it in with the surroundings (I know it's hard due to the sheer scale of the thing).

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The supports look ugly. I suppose with altho big grey tower they are going for an industrial look. I'm sure it'll be a fab ride experience knowing Hansa, but ascetically, I'm not keen.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It's not going to be a "big grey tower" nor have an "industrial look". The tower will be brick on the outside like Fluch von Novgorod, but that will not be completed until next year (along with the indoor 'dark ride' section). That's why the park suggested that we wait until 2016 before returning to the park for some ERT.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Seems strange to me that Vertical Construction has started yet there seems to be no layout plans (available to us) or no no limits simulation. Is this typical of a smaller park like Hansa? Am i right in thinking major parks tend to get simulations out as early as possible for marketing purposes? Would be very interested in seeing this layout prior to completion.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Parks don't always release plans or simulations of their rides, especially in Europe...

It's much more interesting that why I find, especially when you see how far the markers stretch across the park...

Lofty

CF Legend
In terms of the supports; they wouldn't add them unless needed, the cost is pretty significant for more supports (obviously).

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Well, technically you're both right. It is over-supported, since the design code requires the structure to have some safety margin - which basically means you design it to withstand a force half again as strong as the strongest one you're likely to encounter during the ride's life time. With this "150 % reference force" as a basis, you design the structure to withstand that and then some, under the assumption that your materials are of a poorer quality than specified, just to be sure. Additionally, structural elements usually come in pre-defined sizes, and you always round up your theoretically required size to the nearest standard one. All this usually culminates in an end product that - theoretically - would be able to handle two or three times as strong forces as they are likely to ever be subject to under normal operation.

However, that's not to say those safety margins aren't required. A miscalculation here, a material fault there... if you had designed the ride to the bare minimum, it would be pretty likely to collapse or otherwise fail at some point. And juridically speaking, you don't really want to slack on the building codes either - one inspection, and your career outside the burger-flipping world would meet a rather abrupt end. So all in all, the ride is over-supported by necessity. However, it isn't more over-supported than it needs to be.