What's new

Hangovers

tks

Strata Poster
Anyone who has got truly plastered will tell you the next day can often be a delicate one. I am currently suffering my worst hangover for a good year none of my usual tricks are working to shake it..

I've tried..
-Can of Coke
-Lots of fruit juice
-a nap in the afternoon
-some lovely food from greggs this morning.

Does anyone ever find their hangover "cures" working? And if so share them! Or is there no way to stop your body going into the equivalent of a nervous breakdown..

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I know it will be a bit late now, but I always find a couple of big glasses of water (and sometimes two pieces of toast) when I get back in at night reduces the effect of the hangover the next morning.

Cures wise, I'm not sure. I'd get some rest, eat and drink quite neutral and stodgy foods (ie. nothing that's going to be complicated for your system) and just generally try to relax. It'll be gone in 24 hours! :p

Like my mother always says thought "prevention is better than the cure". I've only ever had shocking hangovers when I haven't had anything before I sleep.

thx

Mega Poster
^^ Yeah. Drinking lots of water before you go to bed and eating something has clearly helped me though that's not really a cure as it's preprevention sort of thing, as you don't yet have a hangover at that time, but still.
I really doubt that there is much to cure you in the morning (after your sleep/crashing). Some things I've found that might slightly milden the suffering, but not cure it, are: drinking gatorade kind of sportdrinks, much water, eating fruits and some quite fatty foods and taking a shower or a walk outside.

Snoo

The Legend
Fluids. Most hangovers are from dehydration of the brain (from what I've read at least during my massive hangovers.. and on Discovery Channel.. lol) so drinking a lot of fluid the day that you are drinking and right before you go to bed will help immensely.

I've actually tested this theory and drank no water before and did drank a lot.. and I woke up feeling like a billion dollars with the water consumption and I laid in bed and cried all day without it.

SO DRINK WATER!!!

PS: this does not prevent you from getting the nauseated hangover.. as that is just an act of God.. :lol:

Dave

CF Legend
Lucozade is my elixir on most times. As well as Resolve sometimes if its more a stomach then headache.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I used to kid myself that Gatorade worked, but I'm not sure that it did. Do we even get that over here?

Maybe something equivalent like some kind of "sports" drink as they're designed to prevent dehydration (electrolytes and crap) and/or replace lost fluids.

Jools

Giga Poster
Eat bacon/bacon sandwich with sugary tea/coffee, and drink as much water as you can. Boosting your sugar and hydration levels is the best thing you can do, and if you have an acidy feeling, make yourself throw up, if that doesn't float your boat, then try gaviscon or rennies.
And oddly, if you have a headache, loud music can sometimes help.

Hope I helped :)

Error

Strata Poster
The easiest hangover method is to 1) Not drink or 2) Not drink a lot.

Other then that, drinking lots of fluids.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've notcied that over the past few years, my hangovers have become worse. I put that down to age and the fact that I can consume more booze than any other time in my life.

When I'm having a big session, I use Hixee's mum's "prevention is better than the cure" matra, but that goes out of the window once I'm drunk. I'll never learn.

I knock back a couple of painkillers, drink a couple of pints of water and sleep it off. I love Sundays.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
the_missus said:
Hair of the dog?!
Eye of newt!

Ian said:
When I'm having a big session, I use Hixee's mum's "prevention is better than the cure" matra, but that goes out of the window once I'm drunk. I'll never learn.
Every. Single. Time.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
I've notcied that over the past few years, my hangovers have become worse. I put that down to age and the fact that I can consume more booze than any other time in my life.

Yep, sadly that's an age thing. Your metabolism slows down and it takes you longer to ditch the poison from your system.

So...

the_missus said:
Hair of the dog?!

This... Only the night before.

Alcohol comes in two types. Ethanol and methanol. Ethanol is the good stuff, Methanol is very bad. Some particular fermentation processes produce a mix of ethanol and methanol alcohol. You tend to find the darker the drink, the more chance it has of containing methanol.

Methanol is what produces really rank hangovers.

The treatment for methanol poisoning is ethanol. Ethanol actually destroys methanol in the body.

So... The basic theory is this.

If you are drinking cider or red wine, finish the night with white wine or vodka. Vodka and white wine are pretty much methanol free and this will kill off any methanol you've got into your system that could cause a bad hangover. Hair of the dog before you finish drinking.

Of course, this won't stop any ill effects from drinking too much ethanol. As has been said, a lot of this is dehydration the following day.

Again, there's a lot to be said about taking care the night before.

If you drink spirits, then your stomach reacts to the poison by closing down as much as it can. So if you drink ten pints of beer then 8 shots of whisky? Well, you stomach will close down on any beer and whisky you have. This will sit and slowly be absorbed while you sleep. You don't feel the effects of the alcohol the night you have it, but rather it's all going on in your sleep.

Obviously the pints of beer undigested, the whisky and the kebab are also sitting there making you feel sick. It never ends well...

So, drinking spirits isn't good if you've had a belly full of beer/food. Drinking lots of shots is REALLY bad, especially as most of the drunkenness occurs while you're sleeping.

Next, you also need to increase liver function as much as you can. Alcohol is a poison and your body works to stop it from harming you. The best way to do this is to flush it from your system yourself.

This is where metabolism plays a part. The higher your metabolism, the higher your liver function rate.

You can force its increase by exercising. So dancing while you drink is a good idea, as is walking home (and running screaming from ghosts in the woods :p ). Avoid taxis and walk it off. It also gives you more "awake" time without alcohol to process it.

Ibuprofen also increases liver function. A pint of water and 400mg of Ibuprofen before you go to bed helps "flush" you.

As for the following day? I find Lucozade helps and painkillers (a mix of ibuprofen and paracetamol) and getting solid food inside you (as long as you're clear of alcohol in your stomach).

Mini-milk ice lollies I've also found are superb, as are McDonald's milkshakes. Both contain protein, are very cold (reduce temperature) and are "thick", so you don't feel awash and sick.

So, we have:

1. Drink from dark to light.
2. Don't drink spirits on top of a heavy load of beer/food. Never drink too many late on as it takes many hours to absorb them.
3. Dance/walk off your drinks.
4. Ibuprofen and a pint of water before bed.
5. The following day liquid, painkillers, food. Cool down. Ice-cream/thick shakes can help.
6. Don't get old.

Simple.

Nic

Strata Poster
On the way home.... eat a kebab
When you get home... drink at least a pint of water, if not two
When you wake up... drink another pint or two of water
If you still feel crap... take ibuprofen

Nic

Strata Poster
Is this a good time to mention my talent involving a mini milk?

I'm not bad with a callippo either, as those on the I <3 W00t trip last year will testify :D

T0M

Hyper Poster
Ultimately dehydration. Make sure you drink at least a pint of water or cordial before bed, have one as soon as you get up as well.

To reduce the feelings of nausea, make sure you eat before you go to bed and eat when you get up.

Don't smoke as this makes your chest, throat and stomach feel much worse in the morning.