What's new

Hainan Ocean Paradise | China | Theme Park

Pear

Strata Poster
Damn never thought I'd see this thing going up. I can't wait to see it fully built and running!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I believe so. Similar to why Pyrenees is so over supported.
From what i remember from uni (which isnt much) theres a subduction zone where the indochina? plate drops below the China plate right under Hainan so its an area that could get a big earthquake one day.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Gotta love how Chinese parks sometimes end up buying coaster models from Intamin long after the rest of the world - and possibly Intamin itself - has given up on them.

There's this one, of course - the second iteration of the Fahrenheit concept, 12 years after Fahrenheit. Chongqing Wanda Theme Park bought an Impulse coaster 17 years after Steel Venom at Valleyfair. Guangzhou Sunac Land got a launched Invert, 21 years after Volcano. And in a lesser example, the Mega-lites. Two were built in 2008, to rave reviews, then two more followed in 2009 ... and that was it. Until 2017, when Visionland got the fifth one. Back in 2014, Victory Kingdom got Intamin to build a wing coaster version of the Impulse too, sort of bringing back both the Impulses and Furius Baco at the same time.

Meanwhile, the coasters Intamin sell the West - family coasters, Hypers, sit-down loopers - don't sell that well in China. Sure, there are examples of those too, but it seems like Chinese parks are more interested in the rather obscure parts of their product catalogue, regardless of their reputation elsewhere.

Now I'm really wondering where China's first Plug'n'Play woodie will appear. There's a world height record for woodies ripe for the taking too, and it doesn't sound too far-fecthed anymore that a Chinese park would try to get it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Visionland is an OCT (Happy Valley) park, so it's not too surprising they'd add another mega-lite there.

There's no real way of knowing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more down to Intamin wanting to revive these ride types than the park themselves requesting them directly. They might ask for "something unique" and Intamin can sell these things as "unique" for Asia, or "only one other in the world" etc. Perhaps there's a discounted price to get these parks to agree to these coasters in order for Intamin to showcase them again.

Pure conjecture on my part, but it seems somewhat more reasonable than a random Chinese park suddenly requesting a Farenheit clone.

Having said that, OCT did seemingly ask for a Cheetah Hunt clone when they don't even have the terrain for it. I can't see it being Intamin who pushed that idea.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Visionland is an OCT (Happy Valley) park, so it's not too surprising they'd add another mega-lite there.

There's no real way of knowing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more down to Intamin wanting to revive these ride types than the park themselves requesting them directly. They might ask for "something unique" and Intamin can sell these things as "unique" for Asia, or "only one other in the world" etc. Perhaps there's a discounted price to get these parks to agree to these coasters in order for Intamin to showcase them again.

Pure conjecture on my part, but it seems somewhat more reasonable than a random Chinese park suddenly requesting a Farenheit clone.

Having said that, OCT did seemingly ask for a Cheetah Hunt clone when they don't even have the terrain for it. I can't see it being Intamin who pushed that idea.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
That is a plausible explanation too, of course. It's just a little strange that those coasters never got more traction anywhere else. A Mega-Lite would be unique in the US, for instance, and an Impulse would be unique in Europe. Launched, full-circuit Inverts would have been unique anywhere after Volcano kicked the bucket.

Granted, the Vertical Lift coaster would probably have been a tough sell anywhere. It's, what, 40 meters tall, and with five inversions? Coasters of that size aren't built very often, and when they are, there are many suppliers to bid for it. And Western parks tend to go for launch coasters rather than lift hills for their big multi-loopers nowadays. As far as I can tell, the only 40+ meter lifthill coasters with five or more inversions to be built in North America or Europe over the last decade are Steel Curtain, Banshee, TMNT Shellraiser, Gatekeeper, Flug der Dämonen, Monster, and HangTime. Of these, only two are conventional sit-down coasters with a train. It's a hard market to sell any kind of coaster type in, so it seems they'd have a much greater chance of success in China.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Can we confirm that the spinning coaster is made by Intamin? If so, this would be their first spinner since Tornado at Bakken.

I can't quite figure out if it's a clone or if it's a custom model. Hopefully this one will be as extreme and intense as its Danish cousin.

Gotta love how Chinese parks sometimes end up buying coaster models from Intamin long after the rest of the world - and possibly Intamin itself - has given up on them.

Got to agree with you. Seems like Chinese parks are late for the party. Well, now we just need a Chinese park willing to buy a B&M stand up coaster and we would have a full 90-00s comeback xD

Pear

Strata Poster
I can't quite figure out if it's a clone or if it's a custom model. Hopefully this one will be as extreme and intense as its Danish cousin.
The layout in theory is a clone of Tornado at Bakken, however the layout is bigger and features a full size lift so it probably will not launch like Tornado. It seems as if this was Intamin's stock model and they had to shrink it down for Bakken's plot and add the launch so it made it through the layout.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The layout in theory is a clone of Tornado at Bakken, however the layout is bigger and features a full size lift so it probably will not launch like Tornado. It seems as if this was Intamin's stock model and they had to shrink it down for Bakken's plot and add the launch so it made it through the layout.
Shame though because the launched lift is what makes the ride cool.