ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster
Hagrids-Magical-Creatures-Motorbike-Adventure-Coaster.jpg

Giant Adventure: Jurassic World VelociCoaster opens at Universal

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
They are both built by Intamin and have multiple launches. This is where their similarity ends.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I haven't ridden either, but it's Velocicoaster. Don't be silly.

Matt N

CF Legend
Like @gavin, I’ve ridden neither, but I’m going to provide a slightly different answer.

I think your preference here will depend on what type of ride you’re looking for, or by what criteria you’re judging both rides on.

As I said above, I should preface this by saying that I have ridden neither coaster, so if anyone who’s visited Orlando more recently than myself thinks I’m talking rubbish, then feel free to say so!

But my personal inference from what I know about both rides is:
  • If you’re looking for nothing besides raw thrills and intensity, then VelociCoaster is likely to win comfortably for you. Hagrid’s doesn’t appear to be an intense thrill ride and I’m not even sure it was intended to be one. Whereas VelociCoaster appears to be a big intense ride built purely to thrill; if you want a coaster with high g-forces, epic airtime and good speed, and a really good, varied coaster layout, then VC seemingly has you covered.
  • If you’re looking for something that’s just good fun, and provides a meticulously crafted themed experience from start to finish, then Hagrid’s is likely to win comfortably for you. Don’t get me wrong, VelociCoaster looks very well themed, but the actual ride experience itself appears to have far less emphasis on storytelling and setting up a full on themed experience for the rider than Hagrid’s does. I could also see an argument that VelociCoaster could lack fun factor compared to Hagrid’s for a less seasoned rider, or someone who doesn’t necessarily seek all-out intensity; Hagrid’s arguably has wider appeal and I could see a case for it being more “fun” than VC.
But all in all, though; what a duo to pick between! They’re hard rides to compare, as they appear very different at first glance, but from where I’m standing, IOA’s coaster selection looks to have improved immeasurably since my last visit in 2016!

I’m going back to Universal next June. I can’t wait to experience both of these rides; they’re both comfortably among my most anticipated rides of my June 2023 Florida trip!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Not ridden either, off there in a few weeks though, and tbh, had pretty much forgotten about Hagrid's in all the excitement for Velocicoaster... So that says it all really...

You watch me enjoy Hagrid's more now I've said that! 🙈😂

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Team Hagrid's here 🙋‍♂️

I simply enjoyed it more. Nothing else really competes with it in terms of what it achieves. It was also a punchier rollercoaster experience than I was expecting.

ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster
I haven't ridden either, but it's Velocicoaster. Don't be silly.
Not at all. VelociCoaster is a more thrilling coaster yes, but Hagrid’s as a whole package is a perfect ride. It combines the launches, overbanked laterals, and unpredictability of Maverick with the ejector airtime and overall intensity of an RMC like Lightning Rod with theming that rivals or exceeds something like Big Thunder Mountain. It's excellent, and I prefer it.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Not at all. VelociCoaster is a more thrilling coaster yes, but Hagrid’s as a whole package is a perfect ride. It combines the launches, overbanked laterals, and unpredictability of Maverick with the ejector airtime and overall intensity of an RMC like Lightning Rod with theming that rivals or exceeds something like Big Thunder Mountain. It's excellent, and I prefer it.
I realize that we’re all entitled to our own opinion, and Hagrid’s is a great ride, but there literally isn’t a single overbanked turn on the entire coaster.

And it is certainly intense for a family attraction, but the notion that it is even in the same realm of intensity as Lightning Rod is a statement that I need to digest.

I’m glad people enjoy it. It’s a great attraction. “Perfect” is individual preference, though. I like a ride that doesn’t have multiple braking points in the middle.

VelociCoaster by a landslide.

ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster
I realize that we’re all entitled to our own opinion, and Hagrid’s is a great ride, but there literally isn’t a single overbanked turn on the entire coaster.

And it is certainly intense for a family attraction, but the notion that it is even in the same realm of intensity as Lightning Rod is a statement that I need to digest.

I’m glad people enjoy it. It’s a great attraction. “Perfect” is individual preference, though. I like a ride that doesn’t have multiple braking points in the middle.
Again, to each his own, I love VelociCoaster but Hagrid’s to me is superior.

I like Hagrid's because it's track incorporates so many difficult and interesting elements (backwards motion, drop track, 7 LAUNCHES) that its merit as a coaster can’t be overlooked. Hagrid’s also gets points for having a clearer storyline which is something I also appreciate in a ride.

Hagrid's also isn't too intense so many more people are able to ride it. Even if it doesn't quite reach the intensity of a ride like say, Lightning Rod. Honestly, I think it comes down to personal preference in what you like about rollercoasters. Some people prefer intensity and others prefer more theming. To each their own.
I wouldn't go that far. VelociCoaster is a great attraction and certinaly an awesome experience and probably will be the most intense kind of coaster we'll ever get at a mega US theme park like Disney or Universal. But, "By a landslide" is individual preference. I'd say it's about on par with Hagrid's for different reasons when it comes down to which is the better overall ride.

I've actually ridden both and preferred Hagrid's by a long shot. It was the best coaster I rode in Florida (and I did Iron Gwazi too). As with most things in life its personal preference and there is no right or wrong answer

I am however baffled by people saying one is better than the other without riding either. That's like saying that apples are nice than oranges without tasting them!

Matt N

CF Legend
As I said before, I reckon this is quite an “apples and oranges” comparison. The two appear to be very different rides, so one’s preference will likely come down to what you personally look for in a coaster.

I’ve ridden neither, but will be riding both for the first time next June!

StevenX

Mega Poster
The two are both very different so I agree this is an "apples and oranges" comparison as some others have suggested. For that reason, they complement one another very well in the park.

I'd actually side with Hagrids. VelociCoaster is fantastic, particularly the roll, but Hagrids is just way more fun. It's impossible not to laugh like a child if you're on the motorbike, slaloming through the forest.

Matt N

CF Legend
You'll love them both I promise you that!
I’m thoroughly looking forward to both!

VelociCoaster has had a lot of enthusiast hype, and I absolutely adore the one multi-launch coaster of that style I’ve done (Icon), so I’m incredibly excited to give it a go; when something is being proclaimed to be one of the best coasters in the world by most who’ve ridden it, it’s hard not to be excited!

However, I am also cautiously optimistic about Hagrid’s, too! I am someone who personally values a good blend of fun, thrill and rerideability over out and out intensity, and I’ve heard many reviews sum up Hagrid’s as “really fun”, which does excite me!

I’m thoroughly looking forward to both!

VelociCoaster has had a lot of enthusiast hype, and I absolutely adore the one multi-launch coaster of that style I’ve done (Icon), so I’m incredibly excited to give it a go; when something is being proclaimed to be one of the best coasters in the world by most who’ve ridden it, it’s hard not to be excited!

However, I am also cautiously optimistic about Hagrid’s, too! I am someone who personally values a good blend of fun, thrill and rerideability over out and out intensity, and I’ve heard many reviews sum up Hagrid’s as “really fun”, which does excite me!
I was smiling and laughing like a goon all the way through and back to my family (our youngest couldn't ride) after Hagrids.

ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster
I've actually ridden both and preferred Hagrid's by a long shot. It was the best coaster I rode in Florida (and I did Iron Gwazi too). As with most things in life its personal preference and there is no right or wrong answer

I am however baffled by people saying one is better than the other without riding either. That's like saying that apples are nice than oranges without tasting them!
I'd actually side with Hagrids. VelociCoaster is fantastic, particularly the roll, but Hagrids is just way more fun. It's impossible not to laugh like a child if you're on the motorbike, slaloming through the forest.
I was smiling and laughing like a goon all the way through and back to my family (our youngest couldn't ride) after Hagrids.
My thoughts exactly. Hagrid's is better, I'll never forget my first time on it during it's opening week and grinning nonstop. It's got this joy-like feel that not many rides have.
Guess VelociCoaster isn't the clear winner "by a landslide" with all these Hagrid's comments lol

Indy

Hyper Poster
Guess VelociCoaster isn't the clear winner "by a landslide" with all these Hagrid's comments lol
Lol. You’re really hung up on that comment, aren’t you? It’s literally the second time you’ve called it out.

You set up a poll for people to give their opinion. And in my opinion of the two rides, VelociCoaster wins by a landslide. It’s not even close. Nevermind the fact that VelociCoaster has garnered nearly 80% of the votes in your poll.

Last edited:

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
Velocicoaster is imo the much better coaster but hagrids thingymibob is the better all round ride. I know they’re near to each other in the park but they’re complete different and tbh a bit of a random pairing to compare. I think velocicoaster v pantheon would make a lot more sense as a poll

ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster
Lol. You’re really hung up on that comment, aren’t you? It’s literally the second time you’ve called it out.

You set up a poll for people to give their opinion. And in my opinion of the two rides, VelociCoaster wins by a landslide. It’s not even close. Nevermind the fact that VelociCoaster has garnered nearly 80% of the votes in your poll.
Nah not at all, I was just making it clear that I think it's funny you said:
I’m glad people enjoy it. It’s a great attraction. “Perfect” is individual preference, though.
If we're comparing the coasters themselves then no sh*t VelociCoaster is the better coaster lmao. In my opinion of the two rides, Hagrid's by a landslide. It's not even close. I think Hagrid's is the better overall experience, queue, theming, animatronics, effects, and tricks whereas VelociCoaster is better for the thrills.
I'm glad the coaster enthusiasts enjoy it tho.