What's new

Gyeongju World | Draken | B&M Dive Machine

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This one has come a little out of the blue but Gyeongji World in South Korea have removed their old Meisho looper coaster in readiness for a new area called Highland Village.

They have placed renderings of the new area around with a new coaster taking center stage.
Although not officially confirmed as the manafacturer by the park, its clear the slightly confusingly named Alpine Coaster is a large B&M Dive Machine.
The park already has a history with B&M having built Phaethon in 2007

The construction wall does mention 2016 but so far only the station has been built (I dont have an image of that yet). Its more than likely this whole area will be a 2017 project considering the current state of progress and the size and scope of the area.

Below are the images posted by the park.
Dive4.jpg

Dive2.jpg

Dive5.jpg

Dive3.jpg

dive1.jpg

Source

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Space 2000 was my all time worst coaster. Strangely sad to see it go.

Lofty

CF Legend
It's nice to see a Griffon clone popping up - I hope they manage to theme it as well as the concept art, it'll be really neat.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Good to see another large B&M Dive Machine. It appears based on the map rendering the track will be red?

I hope for the sake of breaking China's "that looks good, let's copy ALL of it" stigma that this is not a complete rip of Griffon and BGE. :rolleyes:

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I hope for the sake of breaking China's "that looks good, let's copy ALL of it" stigma that this is not a complete rip of Griffon and BGE. :rolleyes:
Good thing it's in South Career
I prefer the alpine theming. I'm sure it'll look nice like their invert.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Draken?

Makes sense in Swedish, I guess, and slightly archaic Norwegian (usually spelt "Dragen" here, but "Draken" was totally fine too a few decades ago), but otherwise it seems an unusual name. Or is there some Korean meaning at work here that I don't see?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
There were questions about this actually being a B&M. There are reports South Korea is due to get a Zamperla Thunderbolt soon and some people even wondered if it would be a Golden Horse.

The latest promotional image certainly suggests it will be a B&M and the news articles also mention the coaster manufacturer is from Switzerland.
http://news.joins.com/article/21733943

Drakens.jpg

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Curious to see what type of train and restraints Gyeongju will pick. No matter what, it's a solid choice which hopefully will boost the competition in S Korea as well (Everland better be watching this!).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Curious to see what type of train and restraints Gyeongju will pick. No matter what, it's a solid choice which hopefully will boost the competition in S Korea as well (Everland better be watching this!).
Everland won't care. They're at opposite ends of the country. Nobody from the Seoul area is going to travel to Gyeongju specifically for the park. The city itself is a massive tourist destination though, so the park basically gets a lot of its visitors from people who are in the area for other general tourism and decide to call in. It's also fairly close to Busan, the second biggest city, so local visitors will be from that area.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure why B&M won't do more custom layouts with their dive coasters.

Pretty sure the decision is not on them. It's probably a lot cheaper for the parks to use a design from the catalogue instead of tailor-making a new one.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Also, Dive coasters don't really use a wide variety of elements, meaning they all ride fairly similarly and provide similar sensations. So why not use an existing layout?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
And it's the only one in the country. Next to none of the park's guests would have done one, so why not just shove a clone in?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk