What's new

Guangzhou PTR Day 3: Cred Whoring

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Last weekend I decided to head over to Guangzhou. Since I was on half days, finishing work at twelve (actually sneaked out about 11:30), it made sense to do it that weekend because I could get an extra half day(ish) on the Friday as opposed to a normal weekend.

The train from Hong Kong takes just under two hours, but it’s slightly burdenous since the first hour is taken up using the regular subway track up to Shenzhen, meaning the line is being used by regular subway trains and it really just crawls through until you get over the border. There’s a major new station being built right next to my flat though, which will connect Hong Kong with the mainland’s high-speed network, meaning that Guangzhou will soon become a 45 minute ride away. Until then, it’s easy and comfortable, but slightly annoying knowing that it’s not actually that far.

Anyway, as soon as I arrived I jumped in a taxi and headed to a park not too far away. Guangzhou is massive – the third biggest city in China after Shanghai and Beijing, but with an excellent, and cheap, subway system. However, taxis are also ridiculously cheap; you just need to be prepared with place names printed in Chinese. A local SIM card with a data package is also an invaluable tool.

South China Botanical Garden

South China Botanical Garden is so named because it is a garden, located in South China, what has got some botanicals in it. It was pretty nice, and very quiet seeing as, unlike the vast majority of public parks, there’s an entrance charge. I paid about £2 to get in.

SAM_1668_zps7916f1e8.jpg

SAM_1669_zps458e3b0d.jpg

SAM_1670_zps7124ca6a.jpg

SAM_1673_zps19b04d51.jpg

SAM_1676_zps737710d5.jpg

The place was actually enormous, and it took me about twenty minutes to walk over to the amusement park section.

SAM_1679_zpscc1f7841.jpg

There was the usual selection of crappy rides.

SAM_1685_zps33bbe84b.jpg

SAM_1687_zpscf92b55f.jpg

SAM_1691_zps277757f8.jpg

Along with something I hadn’t seen before. It wasn’t running, but looked to be a mini, knock-off Evolution type ride. I managed to ride something similar the next day.

SAM_1692_zps9320a231.jpg

SAM_1697_zps56a1d0cb.jpg

You’ll have noticed that the park is empty, I’m guessing down to the fact that it’s paid entry and on Friday afternoon, but most rides were operational. I’ve noticed with a lot of the crappy little amusement areas that there are always quite a few staff around not doing much, but once you show up with a ride token, someone will appear to run the ride for you.

First up, crappy powered dragon, which I’m not going to dignify with more than one photo:

SAM_1694_zps394e150f.jpg

Next up, crappy Jungle Mouse:

SAM_1680_zps39122029.jpg

SAM_1683_zpsdd265ab5.jpg

SAM_1684_zpsbbdff501.jpg

And that was that. I think I must’ve spent a whole ten minutes there before I **** ed off back to get a taxi to the next place.

Tianhe Park

Tianhe Park is another typical, large city park. See?

SAM_1703_zpsafa39063.jpg

SAM_1705_zps5e7a7404.jpg

SAM_1707_zpsecae01bc.jpg

The taxi dropped me off at the North Gate, meaning I had yet another trek to get to the amusement park area. It would be worth it though, since I was promised 3 CREDZ, including another powered dragon and a Golden Horse spinner no less!

I figured I was almost at the amusement area when I saw these drowning-accident-waiting-to-happen “attractions”:

SAM_1710_zpsa43d5f2d.jpg

SAM_1713_zps6b458e72.jpg

Across the water, at the entrance to the above contraption, was the much-anticipated, crappy amusement park.

SAM_1715_zpsf8c71c8f.jpg

SAM_1716_zps7f1d71d7.jpg

SAM_1725_zps603b8e98.jpg

SAM_1717_zps3d52409b.jpg

I was shocked and appalled by the sign at the ticket counter. Actually, that doesn’t quite cover it; I was absolutely DISGUSTED:

SAM_1726_zps174a8f1a.jpg

I know it’s China, but there’s absolutely no need for such flagrant disregard for the rules regarding the correct usage of an apostrophe!

Onto the coasters then. I had a proper look around, but couldn’t seem to find them. I double checked RCDB, which had them labelled as being right inside the West Gate, which I was close to, but not quite right inside. The area right inside the West Gate now looks like this:

SAM_1722_zps738c9a91.jpg

SAM_1723_zps713026b8.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SAM_1724_zps97865348.jpg

SAM_1719_zps09ac555b.jpg

SAM_1729_zps579734d9.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was ever so slightly miffed as there are other crappy parks in the area that I could’ve gone to instead, but by this point it was too late really. At first I’d planned to just head to my hotel after satiating myself with the three coasters, but since I'd been most cruelly spited, I decided to at least do something constructive and go and take a look at Canton tower.

Canton Tower

If you’re interested, this was the world’s tallest tower until the Tokyo Sky Tree opened last year. It still has the world’s highest observation deck though, for now anyway.

SAM_1732_zpsc52be744.jpg

It’s on the river with some other cool stuff around it. Yes, the air quality really is that bad.

SAM_1741_zps76362f76.jpg

SAM_1737_zps019e19fc.jpg

SAM_1749_zps99e599b4.jpg

While it’s really impressive to look at, as a visitor experience, it’s **** ing diabolical. There are about 5 million different package options, which is just stupidly confusing. The cheapest ticket is about £15, but that only gets you to an indoor observation deck nowhere near the top. The actual top deck, i.e. The world’s highest observation deck, is only available as a park of a package that includes everything else. Total cost? Have a guess.

No. £48. Forty-eight **** ing pounds!

I was loathe, LOATHE, to pay it, but figured that it was one of those “do-it-once” kind of things and grudgingly handed over my credit card to the girl behind the counter who looked suitably embarrassed at having to charge so much. She said something in Chinese as she took my card, which I think translated as "stand and deliver".

This is what £15 would have got you:

SAM_1765_zps0879b551.jpg

The second to highest level, which I kind of wish I’d gone for as there were a few different packages to head up there, was out in the open and had a couple of rides on it, including the “Bubble Tram” that follows a track around the perimeter of the observation deck. It’s cool, but it means that unless you’re actually riding it, it annoyingly keeps getting in the way of the views.

SAM_1755_zpsfd68fc90.jpg

The other rides here were two Intamin drop towers: one regular sit-down and one standing, tilting floorless.

SAM_1757_zps258ff187.jpg

SAM_1761_zpsc4ef89d1.jpg

SAM_1764_zps3c6faad2.jpg

The towers themselves are only 30 meters (about 100ft) tall, but because of their location, they’re actually the world’s highest thrill rides, beating out the Stratosphere by quite a big margin.

SAM_1762_zps597d5b0f.jpg

All the rides were (obviously) included in the extortionate ticket I’d bought, but if you arrived on a cheaper ticket (the £15 one would not have got you here) then you could pay for them separately. The Bubble Tram and Sky Drop would set you back a mere £18 each. That gets you both drop towers though, a mere snip at £9 each when you think about it.

Anyway, I’m glad I did them, since they’re the world’s highest and all that guff. The views were pretty amazing, and it’s the only tilting, floorless one I’ve done other than Drayton’s.

SAM_1771_zps3cef447a.jpg

SAM_1778_zps8bd108c8.jpg

SAM_1782_zpsea8ac7f5.jpg

SAM_1785_zpsc499fc12.jpg

SAM_1792_zps6a1b1d4c.jpg

The towers reach up to just underneath the highest observation deck, which means that at the highest point they’re not far shy of 488 meters. For arguments’ sake, let’s call it 480 meters, which is 1,575 feet, almost 500 feet higher than Big Shot at the Stratosphere. The ledge sticking out in the next photo is the highest deck.

SAM_1793_zps2cadddf0.jpg

Since I was the only person stupid enough to have a ticket for it, I had to get a member of staff to actually open it up to let me get up there. As you can imagine, the view at 488 meters wasn’t drastically different from the view at 450 meters.

SAM_1795_zps7c20d12f.jpg

It was very cool having it all to myself though I have to admit.

SAM_1797_zpscae75763.jpg

SAM_1799_zps76d6d607.jpg

Back down at the bottom, I admired the tower’s lighting display before getting on the metro to find my hotel.

SAM_1812_zps8d4f8e7d.jpg

SAM_1813_zpsbd89cf18.jpg

SAM_1806_zps11d0ea12.jpg

Day two to come when I can be arsed.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Guangzhou PTR Day 1: Crap Coasters and Canton Tower

The views from right at the top seem a little more Blade Runner, so may have been worth it :p

I think the only issue I'd have with the tower rides that high is if the wind was in any way, shape or form particularly fast. Like, more than a butterfly could produce :lol:

I also laughed at the pain of missing creds, it's my favourite pain to laugh at :p

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

I love the general dry wit you team with these distant parks and kiddy creds. The reports are just so enjoyable to read. Just want to pick up on a few points :p

gavin said:
I figured I was almost at the amusement area when I saw these drowning-accident-waiting-to-happen “attractions”:

SAM_1710_zpsa43d5f2d.jpg

These look so so so FAB. Ok, they look **** dangerous but what's life without a bit of danger?

gavin said:
No. £48. Forty-eight **** ing pounds!

I was loathe, LOATHE, to pay it.

Thats fair enough. I was expecting it to be higher. But when I think about it, you are in a cheaper part of the world...aren't you? I mean £2 entrance to a park, fair enough it's a kiddy park but still, and taxi prices in previous PTRs seem cheap, forgive me if I'm wrong. I can't see any locals being able to afford it really, again forgive me if I'm wrong. I was just expecting more. I'd probably be reasonably ok to pay £48 especially with the things it also gives you. The Shard just gives you height, there's nothing to 'do' and that's half the price for just over half the height...I'd like to do the monorail and the drop towers and the views (especially at night one would imagine) seem sensational.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ I live in Hong Kong, which isn't particularly cheap. Mainland China, however, really is.

The £2 entrance wasn't for a kiddy park; it was for the botanical gardens, which was massive and included a bunch of huge greenhouses and stuff. They just happened to have some kiddy rides stuffed in a far corner.

To put it in perspective, Chimelong Paradise, one of the biggest parks in China, which includes an Intamin 10 inversion and a B&M dive machine, costs £20. Even Hong Kong Disneyland, in a MUCH more expensive city, is about £10 cheaper than the tower.

You'd expect The Shard to cost that much; it's London. Canton Tower's prices are ludicrous based on where it is.

Lofty

CF Legend

I think I'd actually **** myself at the top of that tower, it looks hideously scary.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^It actually isn't though. The lift up, with the glass window all the way up, is pretty exciting. You do have a bit of an "Oh ****, this is really high" moment before checking the display and realising that you're not even half-way up.

Once you're up there though, it's so high that it just becomes a bit surreal, kind of like how you don't notice the height when you're in a plane or something. It was a really calm evening though; I'm guessing it would be a lot different if it was windy. It was just really cool to be outside; so many of these towers just have indoor observation decks, which really don't have the same effect.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

No. Just, no.

It might be on coaster-style track, but it's more like a horizontal ferris wheel; it takes half an hour to complete the circuit.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Quite.

The next morning, I woke up early for a Saturday, aiming to get to the next park for opening, and was confronted with the all-too-common, idiotic taxi drivers. I had originally thought to get myself as close as possible to the next park on the Metro, which would still be miles away, and then take a taxi from there, figuring that closer to the area more people would know the place. I’d recommend probably trying that to anyone else to be honest.

My hotel was on a busy road, with a taxi driving past literally every 10 seconds though, so I thought I’d just cab it the whole way. I had the name printed out in Chinese, but the first four drivers just scratched their heads. Even after showing them, using a map on my phone with a massive **** ing red line showing the route to take, they seemed confused.

Admittedly, the park was a 40 minute drive south of the city centre, but it never fails to baffle me how these morons don’t know anything outside of a 10-mile radius. I even made sure to get the taxis with local, “knowledgable” drivers (based on the colour of the taxis), but still got nowhere.

The thing that pissed me off the most was that I had the information for Chuanlord on the top half of the paper - with the Chinese name circled in thick, black pen - with the paper folded so as not to show the information for Chimelong on the bottom of the page, where I wanted to go later. Every driver ignored where my finger was pointing - and the massive **** ing black circle around the Chinese characters and next to a map - to unfold the paper and say "Ah, Chimelong! Yes, yes!."

NO, you braindead twat!

The fifth driver was equally nonplussed, but phoned someone who gave him some basic directions. He then kept in touch with whoever it was to check on our progress. Unfortunately, he thought he was doing me a favour by avoiding the main highway and saving me on the tolls, so it ended up taking over an hour to get there.

Anyway:

Chuanlord Holiday Manor

You know you’re at the right place when you hit this roundabout.

SAM_1980_zpsdd783dd9.jpg

SAM_1814_zps889a29bf.jpg

The entrance fee was about £10, which included a smart card with some credit loaded and a separate ticket to the zoo. The rides are all pay-per-ride, but you have a card with an RFID chip that you can load with credit. I don’t know how much the card initially comes loaded with but either:

a. mine was **** ed as I kept using it continuously without having to add anything extra – I used way more than the maximum £10 it could have been.
b. the ride ops just couldn’t be arsed to try and point out that I had no credit left and were just letting me on regardless

I’d say that option “b” was the most likely. It's way easier than trying to get their point across to the gweilo: literally Cantonese for "ghost person". Yes, that's what they actually do call us white devils. Have some random pictures to break up the writing:

SAM_1817_zps97b799f5.jpg

SAM_1819_zps552ffab1.jpg

SAM_1840_zps2b2f9ac8.jpg

SAM_1973_zps84afb472.jpg

SAM_1818_zpse74afd89.jpg

I’d seen a similar, but smaller, one of these at the Botanical Gardens the day before. It’s basically a rip-off of an Evolution ride, except that the cars are free swinging instead of being controlled. It was as vile as you're imaging it to be, yet fab.

SAM_1820_zps2e624d8f.jpg

SAM_1822_zps3a320e7f.jpg

The first coaster was yet another bloody Jungle Mouse.

SAM_1827_zps7ce2fd4a.jpg

SAM_1824_zpsd81c4812.jpg

+1

This was quickly followed up by one of my favourite coaster types: a knock-off Zamperla Dragon. More Chinese parks need to get these, along with more knock-off spinners.

SAM_1830_zps657942a8.jpg

SAM_1829_zps1db22407.jpg

Speaking of knock-off spinners:

SAM_1849_zpsb1f213a9.jpg

SAM_1846_zps9df2bd71.jpg

Yep, so far Chuanlord is three-for-three on the crappy, Chinese clone leaderboard. Actually, the spinner was a bit different to the usual Golden Horse clones. Admitedly, not massively different, but I don't think it was Golden Horse anyway.

I didn’t try the ziplines, but they looked pretty decent.

SAM_1837_zpsa0aed880.jpg

When I first got to the next set of FOUR coasters, I couldn’t ride as nobody else was riding and they would only run them with a minimum of two people.

SAM_1833_zps9b7a5fa7.jpg

Luckily a coachload of schoolgirls showed up and since the seats are in rows of three it was easy to get a go. They were only operating the middle two tracks at first, but when I was heading past again later, when the place was much busier, they’d opened the outside two. Such a whorish way to get a +4.

SAM_1841_zps2d50c6c0.jpg

SAM_1960_zpsc2f03947.jpg

SAM_1961_zpsc53e6b24.jpg

As well as Chinese knock-off coasters, you can also hire knock-off Chinese Segways.

SAM_1848_zps7447668d.jpg

The first major coaster was a new loopscrew.

SAM_1856_zpsd1db283b.jpg

The area around it is basically a construction site at the moment. They’ve ripped up a go cart track and are installing some kind of monorail thing.

SAM_1852_zps961c8ff5.jpg

SAM_1863_zps2af69db7.jpg

The coaster was gross, but fab. The loops were just ridiculously forceful. I’d go as far as to say possibly the most forceful I’ve done on a regular looper. The corkscrews shake you more than a British nanny though, which was unpleasant given that it’s a brand new ride.

SAM_1896_zps8bf2ba3d.jpg

SAM_1939_zpsfbf1889c.jpg

The other new coaster was right next to the looper, but because a path was closed for more construction work and for maintenance on this ride,

SAM_1893_zps68db4d7d.jpg

the only way to get to it was walk right around the construction site.

SAM_1859_zps0b466eaa.jpg

SAM_1938_zpsdd15a763.jpg

The vile-looking looping toboggan was closed, which I was expecting anyway as RCDB has had it listed as SBNO for quite a while now. It was still a bit disappointing as I haven't managed to ride any kind of Taboggan ride yet; I stupidly skipped one - not a looping one - at a travelling fair years ago in my pre-enthusiast days.

SAM_1872_zps8b0efe80.jpg

SAM_1878_zps78b56d2a.jpg

Also on the way to the Chinese knock-off Sky Loop was a knock-off combo shot/drop tower, which was a load of old gash - it was painfully slow in both directions - and a knock-off Booster, which I didn’t ride but looked s**te.

SAM_1880_zpsec4d6e69.jpg

SAM_1899_zpsd9aec40e.jpg

SAM_1901_zpse2d77251.jpg

The newest coaster, and first of its kind – by that I mean first knock-off obviously – actually looks quite impressive as you approach it.

SAM_1902_zps7c023554.jpg

SAM_1874_zpsaca9e56c.jpg

Have a horribly-mistimed action shot:

SAM_1884_zpsea2cc08f.jpg

I would’ve tried to get more pictures of it running, but barely anyone was riding it. First of all, it was a pretty long walk away thanks to the path being closed for construction, and it was also the most expensive ride at the park, at £5. Because it was so quiet in that area of the park, I easily managed to get front row, but then had to sit locked into the contraption for almost 15 minutes waiting for other riders.

SAM_1888_zpse4428e90.jpg

As you can see, the major difference with the original models is the trains. They have OTSRs, but are also very open.

SAM_1889_zps6c45ef72.jpg

The ride itself was ok. There was quite a nasty snap going through the inversion, which I’ve never noticed on the proper models before. This could be down to restraints though I guess. Also, the real ones coast all the way back into the inversion, whereas this one made it back up the lifthill, but not far enough to invert again.

I had to walk past the zoo, and since I had a ticket for it, decided to have a quick look.

SAM_1908_zpse16e2361.jpg

It was much bigger than I thought, and seemed very new. The enclosures, while quite small, all looked really nice. They seem to have cottoned on to the Western idea of zoos: make it look pretty for people and they won’t notice that it might not be particularly great for the animals.

I’m far from anti-zoo by the way; it just pisses me off when people judge animal enclosures based on misinformed human standards, whether that’s in a “Oh, that looks pretty, the animals must love it!” way, or a “I know jack **** about animal welfare, but that tank is too small for that snake that only ever wants to move when it’s finding food” kind of way.

Anyway, have some pictures so you can see how pretty it is, and, therefore, how wonderful it is for the animals.

SAM_1911_zps6a00eafd.jpg

SAM_1915_zps52b68f3a.jpg

SAM_1916_zps8ae74912.jpg

SAM_1948_zps51daa474.jpg

SAM_1954_zpse6c03cf4.jpg

SAM_1955_zps155ce797.jpg

SAM_1923_zpsbfeed491.jpg

Look, he’s waving!

SAM_1931_zpse2f7443f.jpg

Nope, he’s being teased with a carrot on a stick, and not a metaphorical one.

SAM_1933_zpsd654ba7a.jpg

I guess it’s not massively different to buying leaves to feed giraffes as in an earlier picture though.

SAM_1945_zpsf3e4ab40.jpg

To be honest, I didn’t think this was actually too bad. At least by selling food to the public to feed the animals, all under the supervision of a keeper, they were less likely to throw random **** over the fences, which is disgustingly common from what I've seen elsewhere in China.

The next two pictures are of the same enclosure. Spot what’s weird:

SAM_1941_zpsec393cde.jpg

SAM_1934_zpsa86fd024.jpg

Yep, lions, tigers and wild boar all living in the same enclosure, and all getting along very happily it would seem.

SAM_1935_zps4cc3752d.jpg

Anyway, for a Chinese zoo, this place really wasn’t too bad at all. The map had orang-utans, rhinos and giant pandas labelled, but they weren't here, so they've either been moved out or are still to be added. There was an animal show that I didn’t get to see as well, due to the timing, which from the posters featured pigs diving off a platform into a pool. The live hook-a-duck game, where you throw hoops around the necks of real ducks seems to have gone since Ben and Jake’s visit. Shame.

Anyway, back out of the zoo and onto the final coaster.

SAM_1967_zps51cc44b6.jpg

There are a lot of these around China, but this is the first one I’d ever been on. They’re as crap as they look.

SAM_1969_zps9b103fdf.jpg

On the way out I gave the walkthrough a go: Ghost Ship Gothenburg.

SAM_1815_zpsa1d4b3a1.jpg

SAM_1978_zps66558699.jpg

The signage promised a lot, but it wasn’t too great.

SAM_1976_zpsd9be56b4.jpg

After a really decent intro film, sitting in a cabin of the boat that moved and vibrates, it was mostly just crappy animatronics. However, some things did come out from the walls and drop from the ceiling to hit you on the way through. The final scene, where you’re stuck in a room with some cool water and lightning effects, was also pretty decent.

I was already here much later than I’d planned, partly due to the taxi taking twice as long as I’d hoped, and partly due to the park being a lot bigger than I expected. The park was actually a lot nicer than I thought it would be as well. I thought it would be a slab of concrete with rides, but it’s not. It’s clear that they’re making an effort to make the place more attractive as there’s a lot of ongoing work all around the park and they've just added two fairly major new coasters in the same year. In total, there are TEN CREDZ, not including the SBNO Toboggan.

Anyway, I think I ended up getting out of here at around 2 to get to the next park…

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Are those **** little shuttle coaster things (essentially a disco coaster without the spin or power) any good? They look a bit kind of sharp on the hump.

I've also never seen pedal powered water tractors outside of Rollercoaster Tycoon before. Amazing!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Guangzhou PTR Day 2 Pt 1: Chuanlord Holiday Manor

^They're quite fun for such little rides.

They're much more like a mini, ghetto half-pipe coaster than a Disco though. They've got kicker wheels, basically like a swinging ship, that push them gradually faster and further along the track. They actually coast, as opposed to being powered all the way along the course.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Another great report, Gavin. I could read your PTRs all day, so good.

gavin said:

Are these pedal powered? They look really cool, a relaxing way to spend an hour or so.

davidm

Strata Poster

Excellent work ghost person.... those pics from the top of that there Canton Tower are awesome.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

"The olds above 60 should be companied by the adult when playing"

I love engrish!

Which grade did you play then?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ There wasn't any option, just a normal walk through.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster

Ah, China! Great report Gavin! Look forward to more!
Those rocketship ziplines looking thingies look nice enough to ride though. Did you try them?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Nope! There was actually quite a bit of a line for all the zipwire type stuff. Nothing too bad, but I was already pushing it a bit for time.