What's new

Grin and Bear it - Trip Reports!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome back. I had a fantastic day, hopefully you lot did too.

I'll do a full report in a bit, but here's the topic if you want to go first :)

I'm knackered, but I DID meet Smithy :)

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I never do full reports any more, so I won't sit here and promise anything of the sort!

Despite The Frowner failing, I had a very enjoyable day. It was a very relaxed mince around the park and it was great seeing everybody again, both familiar faces, old faces and new faces.

The weather today was all over the place. (Brief) sunshine, rain, hail, snow/sleet(?) and just general bitterness... June in a few days guys! ;)

Managed to obtain a free return ticket for Alton this season thanks to the fabulous staff at Guest Relations - I'm sure they had a horrid day, but I smiled and politely explained our situation and they were very helpful, smiled and processed us very quickly.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I really wanted to meet smithy :(

I was kinda quiet today for two reasons

A) kinda felt a bit guilty ditching my mate who gave me a free ticket and free travel
B) who the bloody hell is everyone??? :lol:

Maybe I shouldn't leave it so long next time?

I'm not going to lie the smiler disappointment and hailstones did put a bit of a downer on the day but it was lovely to see all the old faces again and chatting to a few new ones!

Kebab

Giga Poster
I had a fab time!

The Smiler closure didn't bother me in the slightest, it was just great being with you guys and having a laugh. Personal highlight of the day was riding Nemesis in the heavy rain, absolutely relentless! It was nice chatting to new folk, and seeing some familiar faces again, you're all a fantastic bunch of guys!

The Smiler does look good, looking to be their best addition since Air. The concrete block of a station is vile though.

So yeah, had an ace time!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Just a quick thanks to all for making me feel so welcome today, I had a great time. Looking forward to the report phil.

Thanks again for sorting the tickets John :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
delpiero1982 said:
Just a quick thanks to all for making me feel so welcome today, I had a great time. Looking forward to the report phil.

Thanks again for sorting the tickets John :)

Who are you again? One of John's hangers on or that delmonte bloke? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

tks

Strata Poster
Think this just about sums it up

379725_627588024140_1223526102_n.jpg

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^GerstLOLer.

I gotta say that today was proof that it doesn't matter if a record breaking ride hasn't opened. The company was great, had a laugh with people I've not seen for 6 months and I can't wait for the weekend.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Love that photo <3

So yeah, cracking day! Started off with a silly journey of ridiculously mixed genres of music on the way up, got there in no time! Weather was a bit burdenous but made Nemesis run like a dream so all was forgiven on that front!

Highlights:

No queues at the start of the day
Sub-Terra shouty man
Safety Steve!
'I'm sexy and I know it' strutting <3
Ian masks
So. Much. Haribo.
Missing out on The Smiler not actually being that bad?
Oblivion running like sex on legs
Nemesis in the rain <3
2 free return tickets AND an extra month on the MAP

Lowlights:
No plus one *boo*
Smithy riding in the same train as me and not even saying hi, rude =p

Literally couldn't have been a better day given the circumstances, love you guys! Bed now, mwah!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Haha I saw Ian and Nic on the train before us so figured there'd probably be a few people on my train. By time we'd got off and got stuff from locker you must've all vanished into photo kiosk because I saw Furie stood on his outside and thought it'd be far too rude not to introduce myself before rushing off to Oblivion.

Um, **** it I'll put it my thoughts in here (even though the extent of my 'Cf-live' was saying YOU'RE PHIL FURIE FROM COASTERFORCE HELLO GOODBYE).

Thirteen is actually really good as a filler coaster, outside bit is huge fun but way too short, drop is great for unsuspecting guests as is the backwards bit.

Charlie is woeful. Hex is good. Duel is good. Only really rode them as they were inside and dry, and had no queues.

Sub-Terra was very good, didn't have to rely on actors jumping out for thrills which I preferred.

Nemesis was just running stupendously well. As was Oblivion.

Weather couldn't make it's mind up, place stunk of weed and was full of bratty kids but once the park emptied out around 4 and most rides were nearly walk-on it improved my day somewhat.

Pierre :(

I literally did just run past Phil and say hello though :p

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
So Oblivion was running, and I quote other Jordan here, like 'sex on legs'?? Alton Towers kept tweeting further apologies because it had broken down for a significant amount of time? :p

Anyway, it seems you all (well most of you) had a good day despite being spited by you know what!

I look forward to Sunday!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Right, where to start. Probably the beginning...

Once upon a time, there was a new roller coaster at Alton Towers called The Smiler. A group of people who loved rides from the land of CoasterForce went to see The Smiler on the first day it was allowed out to play.

Unfortunately, the big bad grumpy step H&S/Gerstlauer/Contractors/Alton Project Planner* had decided to keep The Smiler behind bars that day, so none of the people from the land of CoasterForce were allowed to play with it.

They were quite sad until they realised that they could all play with each other instead. So they had a happy day at Alton Towers, playing.

There were some new people who had never played with CoasterForce before, and some old people who hadn't been seen in a long time. They soon joined in though, and everyone was very moist, very quickly. Even the once proud king of CoasterForce came to play, with his honoured knights.

One of the new people was mistaken for a friend of Big John. Big John often brings random friends, so he was ignored. This was very sad until he introduced himself as [strike]Delprito[/strike] [strike]Delpiro[/strike] The Man from Delmonte, or "Tom, Tim but not". This led to quite an embarrassed Furie as he had complete **** up the first social interaction with a new member.

He seemed very nice though, but sadly not very goony. It's okay though, as the people from CoasterForce can rapidly bring out everyone's inner goon.

Furie also met Radaxian for the first time, they discovered their shared love of colour blindness.

As more of the group arrived, and called to be late (Sue from Burdenshire not being the only one), a small new Goonlette also arrived. Tim, Dave but not (or SilentHillXD). He also seemed very nice.

Once enough people had gathered, the group went on an adventure to to break Smiler biscuits and to piss on them in OUTRAGE. The group then carried on with their adventure to discover "The more than fifty rides and attractions" that Alton Towers could offer.

They couldn't find them all, but still managed to have a lovely time - especially Ed in the Thirteen queue, the goons clamouring for Coaster Coasters (tm) and Furie shaking Smithy's hand and smugly announcing "I've met Smithy".

Then they sadly all went home to bed.

The end.

Or something like that, you can fill in the details yourselves ;)

Photos... I don't have many, so I've decided to do them as a gallery of what CoasterForce can offer the best of on a theme park trip.

The-best-group-photos-by_Furie
42c82cb7f5505759a87c0411.jpg

83fb8c55512dcb937e7ae3ef.jpg

3545a97e6921310233720015.jpg

The best the Welsh education system can offer
83237a3bdf0f78d943c804a2.jpg

The best photos to make you look like a window licker
ffd01883924f947b46f7f286.jpg

The best beards
4243963c118527f20f9b27f8.jpg

The best cannibalism
b553182987039394845563b6.jpg

The best goon queue
e12d1ec7e85bb43ae66e0fe0.jpg

The best moist females
b2221845b6e48da88c49afb1.jpg

The best laughing at people with The Smiler in their hair
8645dfdd1ed3d70894d96ab1.jpg

The best Johns
626ecac5098ff075eb206e98.jpg

2f36daefa97c5baad625bdbf.jpg

The best Hitman disguises
5a0394f5d6da68fca59cac62.jpg

The best wet holes
07f45d381d72ff5f33e3c3e8.jpg

Video to come, and it may be something a little different ;)

*delete as you think appropriate

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Oooops, accidentally posted before I finished - there may be photos you missed if you read the report quickly :oops:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sub Terror is fab. I loved the story and the effects. The drop could do with being longer, but that's the thrill seeker in me wanting more! Excellent ride.

Th13teen was even worse than I remembered. The pre-drop is good but the rest of the ride is turd. best thing about Th13teen was playing with the magic drinks labels in the queue and recharging the magic on Vadge's furie_hair. It might have been better if Ripe Op Ron did a little dance.

Oblivion thrilled me once again and remains my second favourite ride at Alton Towers. Burdenous Sue provided the queue antics thanks to the little hook on the back of her coat. Sue can also impersonate the station music as if it had a cold. Smiler also looks good from the top of the drop. (I'm still not overly-excited about seeing it in the flesh.)

Air felt very meh yesterday imo. I enjoyed using the queue time to talk to Dan, Carl and Matt from CF days gone by, but hopefully they'll return to the fold once again.

Rapids were not very rapidy.

Runaway Mine Train was enjoyable thanks to the whole "Steve" thing. Steve was the ride op working when we rode it. The control box op kept asking to speak to Steve over the speaker system, so we kept shouting out his name. Over the top screaming at passing rapids boats was fun. You had to be there.

If you take away the shooting element, Duel is a brilliant ghost train. I half-heartedly fired my gun. I loved the Ian masks! I hope the ORPs are posted here soon!

Nemesis remains my favourite coaster. I can't get enough of it. The front row in the rain ride I has was amazing. My eyes said "oww", my smile said "joy". Despite all the hype and PR being shoved down our throats by Alton Towers, The Smiler will not be better than Nemesis. Fact. Nemesis will probably always remain the UK's most critically acclaimed coaster.

Stuff that made me giggle
Expelling our OUTRAGE on the Smiler biscuits.
The Ian masks on Duel.
Big John.
The large free drink faff.
Magic drinks labels.
"One communist burp!"
"Steeeeve!"
Forever alone man on the Rapids.
Subtle Skyride disaster stories to scare Serena.
Sue's Oblivion's station music and coat-attachment antics.
Rach's Smiler costume that we never got to see due to the bisexual weather.
Creaming over the Nemesis loop wind.
The constant number of attractions count.

Regrets, I have a few.
Not saying goodbye to Pierre. See ya, Pierre.
Only riding Nemesis four times.
Not riding Rita.
Not seeing Smithy.

Cheers to furie for the faff, organisation, sofa, food and casual witty banter.

What I liked about this Live was the combination of people. It's always a pleasure to see the regulars (Jordan, Sue, Vadge, Rach, peep etc). There were the people who I see only a couple of times a year but feel like we've never been apart thanks to the forums (furie, Pierre, Maddie, Ed, Tom(atron), Plod). Several new people who automatically "get" CF and fitted in well (Tim, Tom, Brad). Most of all I liked seeing members who have been away for a while (Dan, Manderrr, Carl, Haxar). If I haven't mentioned you, it's not because you're forgettable, it's because I'm still getting to know you! It just "worked" yesterday.

Who needs Smiler in their life? I do want to ride it but I still can't get hard over it.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
*Nooby Report Alert*

I was majorly excited for the Live event, not just because of Smiler but I was a bit subdued at the beginning of the day.
Anyway, arrived at about 9 and met up with BigJohn for the ticket he obtained for me, which I quickly got another from Guest Services... Just need to decide when to go again.
Me and John then headed to X-Sector to have a snoop around/meet-up with everyone, had a good chat about Blackpool with John and then spent a good half hour staring at the twisted metal which spited us. Must say that I love the look of it in the flesh, can't wait to give it a go.
By that point some other CFers arrived, Ciall and Serena arrived, followed by the Furie clan. Joined in with some banter without any of them knowing who i was for at least 15 mins (I was still mesmerized by the track and the Access Lift that Phil forgot the name of). Eventually properly introduced myself and explaining what my username meant, and became the man from Delmonte.

Everyone seemed nice, but the atmosphere was definitely subdued, and we headed back to Towers Street to meet up with a few people who were running late, the inevitable biscuit stamping ensued, which raised spirits slightly. I met a few more people, had a chat with Ian about tampon cigarette substitutes and made our way over to Forbidden Valley, passing another closed ride (49 amazing rides and attractions)!

Phil tried to mislead me down another path and went down the shortcut i didn't know before. Sue then tried to rouse people with Haribo with was an utter failure LOL!

Walked straight on Nemesis, middle row, was good, not great. Then moved to a couple of flats, Blade, Ripsaw (SilentHillXD's pleasure) and Sub Terrible. First time for me on this and I thought it was excellent, window licker pictures, broken down Monorail (48 Amazing Rides and Attractions!) guy with the Smiler haircut cool) and the Phalanx guy, major high points. "This guy has a BEARD! HOW AM I BEING SEXIST!!!"
Really enjoyed the whole experience though the drop was lacking, I will definitely go on that again.

Quick bog break followed by Ian picture handouts for Duel, fantastic ORP!

Went to Katanga for Mine Train, Rapids and group pic. Mine Train was fun, mainly due to Steve and the group becoming more rowdy "Steve, Steeeeve", and high energy waving at the rapids boats, ended up with whiplash but not too bothered.
Rapids was fun for me as everyone else got wet.
Group pic where my smile wouldn't stay put, lost it, bad times.

Lunch with some of the group, cheers Jordan for the discount :) Good chat with Tom and Pierre regarding cred count and future plans, so doing your suggestion for 50th cred Tom :wink:

Made our way to Dark Forest, lost everyone, waited in the hail for Ian to get there after uuuurhing during lunch and watched as some of the group showed their true goons on topic trivia!

Queued for what seemed like hours for 13, more Haribo was consumed, Nic and Ian's Bottle Label of Awesome was keeping us going though. Eventually got in the loading bay to find they had "technical issues" and ran a few empty trains. Laughed at the ride op who had obviously been slapped with a 10lb trout and waited for Ron's dance. He wussed out though. When we eventually did get on it was it's normal meh, but did my usual OTT scream on the pre-drop.

Decided to go on Hex and discussed Hershey/Skyrush with Ciall, Phil and Serena. Seriously going to try to fit that in during my Aug/Sep trip. Phil also gave me a nice insight to Hex (GOOOON!)and I will always go right from now on.

It was half 3 so the AMP crew got their hot drinks, took half an hour i reckon due to one till, then went over to Oblivion.
Sue's hook on her hoody was hilarious, half expected her to walk off with John attached and was hoping we'd get all the way to the car with the Asda bag attached, alas, twas not to be.
40 min queue, didn't feel like it though, think we lucked out with opening the right side. Pretty sure we had a full car of just CF crew. Good as usual, did what it does best.

Decided to whore Nemesis for the rest of the day, great decision! Felt a bit sorry for Serena while Ian and Big John were discussing cables snapping on the Skyride. Got on back left in the dry(ish) and was amazing, showed my absolute goon side getting there though! Back right in the rain, amazing again, and one last ride with me and John racing to get back row only to be spited by some general public type people.

Overall I had a wicked day, and after Sub Terrible I forgot about the Smiler (until I went near it again). It really didn't matter either way as the people and day overall was superb. I'm looking forward to joining another event soon.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
See, I knew somebody would fill in the gaps :)

"Welcome to the Phallus facility... You're about to get shafted"

Was great to meet both you and Tim - glad you had a good time too. Just watching the videos and while the 13 queue was a burden of Sue proportions, there are lots of smiles still :)