What's new

Great Moments on Average Rides

jayjay

Giga Poster
Self explanatory title: rides that don't necessarily offer much, but have that one standout moment. Feel free to interpret "average" and "great" however you want.

My nomination is Drayton Manor's Shockwave. Specifically the fact that a zero-G roll on a stand up coaster is a tremendously good idea.

Lofty

CF Legend
Oh, I like this topic.

^ The above is great. The little meandering bit through Cheetah Hunt is absolutely brilliant.

The double up/double down on White Lightning is great, the rest is just ok?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I instantly thought of Blue Fire's Inline, the cred doesn't break my top 30 but that element is perfect.
Goliath's(Walibi) Stengel, major high point.
Kraken's Dive Loop is fab, but really don't think the rest is any good.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I instantly thought of Blue Fire's Inline, the cred doesn't break my top 30 but that element is perfect.
Goliath's(Walibi) Stengel, major high point.
Kraken's Dive Loop is fab, but really don't think the rest is any good.

How about the mini Stengel on Boomerang? Haha!

I've though of a few more:
The drop on Takabisha
The launch on a Shuttle Loop
The dive on Diving Coaster: Vanish
The loops on Togo Standups
The dark ride portion of Flying Dutchman
Furious Baco's launch

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
The 'airtime' you get on the back spikes of Intamin Impulses are always fab. Another that comes to mind is the first drop on Raging Bull. The ride is quite meh in it's entirety, but the first drop in the back row is perfection.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Edward M

Strata Poster
I would say stuff like the launch on a lot of launchers that are just average. The whole ride may not be great but a good launch is always memorable for me, especially on rides like Furious Baco or Kingda Ka. I don't really love the Mr. Freeze rides, but that top hat is really something. Like someone said, Cheetah Hunt's trick track. The drop and inversion on Sheikra is great but the rest is meh. I would also say the twists and drop on I305; it is a bit too intense for my liking but a few of those twists are pretty great.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Gatekeeper's keyholes are fantastic.
Like GWAS said, Raging Bull's first drop in the back row is fantabulous.
Valravn's first drop and final inversion are awesome.
Titan's helixes are insane and loaded with enormous positive G's if that's your thing.
I thought Steel Eel had great ejector air but I don't like it as much because it is a bit on the rough side.
Runaway Mountain's drop off the MCBR always gets me by surprise.

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
A few off the top of my head:

The sideways hill thing on SLCs (Honestly, I love the SLC layout, but it is marred by poor execution.)
The final drop/helix on Gold Rusher @ SFMM
The S:UF clones' pretzel loop

As for meh moments on great rides, I nominate that pointless slow turn on Nemesis right after the vertical loop. It really kills the pacing.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
^^ Oh yes, I completely forgot about the S:UF clones' pretzel loops. Absolutely bonkers element and experiencing them back row is about as intense as it gets. ****ing crazy. Love them.

SchindHaughton

Roller Poster
Here are a few that come to mind:
  • The first drop on Skull Mountain at SFGAdv, which gives a surprisingly strong pop of air in the back row
  • The pretzel loop on the Superman: Ultimate Flight clones
  • The loop on Sooperdooperlooper at Hersheypark- although the rest of the ride would be awesome if that trim wasn't there
Also, if you want to talk about redeeming moments on **** rides, the "first drop" on Ninja at SFStL gives a decent pop of air.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
A few come to mind:
- Saw's indoor section is fab - the rest is just a bit ****e, as we all know ;)
- First Drop of Raptor (Gardaland) with its surprising amount of airtime, before it starts meandering around the rest of the layout
- Obviously, Th13teen's Drop section
- Vampire's tunnel
- Sheikra's second drop (again, into a tunnel)
- The final drop and Helix on El Diablo is also a standout (it's not a lift hill at least)

Haven't ridden it, but isn't the first drop on Cyclops at Mount Olympus supposed to provide a fair bit of air,or at least before they reprofiled it?

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah surely PMBO's drop takes this one - probably the biggest drop in quality (pun intended) from the start of a ride to the rest of it.

Colossus' final Inline Twist springs to mind too - loads of ****e and then just yayyyyy.

Jared

Hyper Poster
The dark ride section of The Flying Dutchman at Efteling.

The pre-show and music of Baron 1898 at Efteling.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Colossus' final Inline Twist springs to mind too - loads of :emoji_poop:e and then just yayyyyy.
I was thinking of Colossus, but rather the airtime hill that dives under the shop. Not a fan of slow inlines at all.