What's new

Golden Ticket Awards 2016: Fury 325 On Top (Awards Page 2)

coaster addict

Mega Poster
It is that time of the year again. While the main part of the US-park season nears a conclusion, we've reached announcements & awards season! Who's ready? Let's look at the Golden Ticket Awards. While no single award show or voting system is universally correct, many point to the GTAs as the Oscars of the Amusement Park Industry. With that said, some of the awards rarely see a new winner. One example is the Best Steel Coaster category. Millennium Force has long been considered the gold standard, but is it time for it to get topped? One great argument is Fury 325!

http://coasteraddict.com/will-millennium-force-get-stung-at-the-gtas/

While I recently wrote an article about this the other day, I am curious to hear what steel coaster should get top honors. Also, how would you change the voting in the GTAs (if needed) to make it a better system?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Will Fury 325 Surpass MF for GTA Steel Award?

coaster addict said:
While no single award show or voting system is universally correct, many point to the GTAs as the prime example of a purely incorrect system.

Fixed that for you. The last few times I've checked, there's hardly any enthusiasts out there who take the Golden Tickets seriously. A hundred riders ride coaster A and decide it's the worst ever, all rating it a 1. Eight riders ride coaster B to standing ovations, and rate it a solid 10. That's 100 points for coaster A, 80 points for coaster B, A gets the Ticket. That being said, the Oscars aren't exactly known for their well-reasoned and diverse voting system either, so perhaps your original statement fits anyway.

Millennium Force will get the Ticket because a lot more people in the jury have ridden it. It is high-profile, high-quality and located in a more popular park. It will get points from more people, and therefore there has to be an absolutely massive difference in quality for Fury to get the upper hand.

Snoo

The Legend

^This.

While Fury is superior, MF has WAY too many fanboys for that to happen.. like ever.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Yeah, what Poke said. Fury is (probably) better than MF by miles, but more people fanboy over MF.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

The Golden Tickets are f**king garbage.

MF isn't even the best coaster in the park, let alone the world.

AshleyScared

Roller Poster

The GTAs are run by Cedar Point, there's no way Fury will surpass MF. The few times SFNE's Superman got #1 was Superman getting lucky.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
Yeah, what Poke said. Fury is (probably) better than MF by miles, but more people fanboy over MF.
As someone who's ridden both, I actually don't think they're that far apart in terms of quality. They're both fantastic coasters, but I'd have to give the edge to Fury for being a bit more aggressive.

I don't think Fury will take the #1 spot this year. But I could see it moving up one or two spots.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

CarolinaRider said:
GuyWithAStick said:
As someone who's ridden both, I actually don't think they're that far apart in terms of quality. They're both fantastic coasters, but I'd have to give the edge to Fury for being a bit more aggressive.

I don't think Fury will take the #1 spot this year. But I could see it moving up one or two spots.
As someone who has also ridden both, Fury is much better. ;)

MF is very good, but Fury has a better layout and better forces.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Oh my sweet baby Jesus. The False King has finally been laid to rest.

Such great news to see after a long days work!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Well **** me sideways it actually happened.

The whole list is supposed to be up in about 45 minutes, so I guess that'll be posted here.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster

RIP Millennium Force.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KolfEhV-KiA[/youtubevid]

TilenB

Strata Poster

Finally the king has been dethroned
I'm apparently currently queueing for the 4th best steel coaster in the world (and the best in Europe). Fab times

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

ThomVD

Giga Poster

I wonder if Helix is still below Blue Fire in the rankings. Absolutely hilarious.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

I wonder if Lightning Rod has the potential to knock of Boulder Dash as the best woodie in a couple of years. It placed at no. 11 even with the delays, and I imagine it would have made an even higher debut on the list similar to Fury last year. Give it two more years and a few more riders, and I think we could see it topping the wooden coaster charts.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Here is a video recap of the entire Golden Ticket Award Ceremony:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHT4PGISVNE[/youtube]

Also, here is a full rundown of the Top 50 Wooden and Steel Coasters for this year's Golden Ticket Award. Notice Fury 325 only beat MF by a matter of 4 points in the GT metrics. Let the discussion on irrational judging ensue: (click image for link to Golden Ticket Award rankings)

Steel Coasters

Wood Coasters

Other awards:

Best Park - Europa
Best Seaside Park - Santa Cruz Boardwalk
Best Children's Park - Idlewid
Best Waterpark - Schlitterbahn New Braunfels
Cleanest Park - Holiday World
Best Kids Section - Kings Island
Best Shows - Dollywood

Best New Ride - Lightning Rod, Dollywood
Best Water Ride - Valhalla, BPB
Best Waterpark Ride - Wildebeest, Holiday World
Best Indoor Coaster - Revenge of the Mummy, USO
Best Dark Ride - Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Hollywood Studios

You can read the full announcement here: http://goldenticketawards.com/wp-conten ... mplete.pdf

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Golden Ticket Awards 2016: Fury 325 On Top (Awards Page

Mind Bender above Helix?

Ah hahahahhaahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.

No.

Every year they just get worse and worse.

I just don't get how enthusiasts can be so dumb, like, anywhere else this poll wouldn't be skewed like this so why here? Why do the people participating never vote for something they've not ridden that's clearly better?

Are you only allowed to vote for what you've ridden or are they all just twats?

RyanB19

Roller Poster
Re: Golden Ticket Awards 2016: Fury 325 On Top (Awards Page

Wildfire 28th? Having a laugh, T Express 44th.. Not ridden it but yet again, absolutely crazy. There seems to be a few mediocre coasters made it in there as well.