What's new

Glenwood Caverns | Defiance | Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter | 2022

Projektion

Mega Poster

Matt N

CF Legend
Interesting that they talk about a “challenging location”... could this be going to a park with some interesting terrain?

In terms of what type of ride, I’m thinking it could be a huge Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster not too dissimilar to Karnan at Hansa Park. That would certainly have record-breaking potential, and be quite unlike anything else in the USA!

In terms of which park; well, I guess you could limit it down to any parks with challenging terrain that are rumoured to be getting a new coaster fairly soon. Two potential guesses of mine are Silver Dollar City and Dollywood; those parks both have challenging terrain, both have possible rumours of new coasters coming soon, and Herschend also seemingly has a decent relationship with Gerstlauer. Dollywood was even said to be wanting a hyper coaster... maybe they decided to go for something a bit different as far as hyper-style rides go?

Although I could be completely flying blind there! In reality, it could be anywhere in the USA!

Certainly an exciting development, though, regardless of where it ends up!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ngl I think this should have its own thread. Seems like pretty major news to me.

EDIT:- Thanks (Hix?). Anyway, this is very interesting. Wasn't expecting a major new Gerstlauer to come to the US anytime soon, let alone a record-breaking one to be announced in a few months. The popular rumour seems to be Cedar Point trying to take the inversion record from Smiler. If not Cedar Point, there are really only 2 or 3 other parks that I can see getting it, and Matt has listed them just above me. Either way, I am excited. I'm a big fan of Smiler even with the OTSRs, so I think this could be something special.

Last edited:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hopefully it’ll be a basic, worthwhile record, such as tallest, fastest, longest etc IN THE WORLD... and not something lame like “the longest red coaster above water in this county”

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Projektion

Mega Poster
Someone on a discord server I'm in mentioned they that saw work being done at CP while they were at Winter Chill Out, can anyone else that was there confirm that? Since that combined with the May 2022 opening makes me think it could be the next CP coaster.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Someone on a discord server I'm in mentioned they that saw work being done at CP while they were at Winter Chill Out, can anyone else that was there confirm that? Since that combined with the May 2022 opening makes me think it could be the next CP coaster.
If I remember correctly from a recent-ish Cedar Point thread, they're replacing their staff dormitories and upgrading some electrical infrastructure. That park appears not to have any coaster in the pipeline for the immediate future.

I think we can also rule out Six Flags in general for this one, with even Gerstlauers being out of their budget. I don't see it going anywhere in Orlando either. Busch Gardens might have the budget, but we know BGW has other plans in the pipeline and BGT still has Iron Gwazi to milk for another few years. King's Dominion might have shot for that record a couple of decades ago, but now they're toying with that S&S Free Spin. Kings Island might not be likely to add a new ride so soon after Orion. Likewise, Hersheypark still has Candymonium being too fresh to start thinking of another coaster already. Any lesser Cedar Fair park is too neglected to be considered a likely candidate here. Canada's Wonderland could have been a candidate, but it's not in the US. Knott's Berry Farm has no space.

Maybe Holiday World? Their latest big investment was Thunderbird back in 2015. The park is obviously capable of building such big coasters, but haven't done so in a while. They've never had a Gerstlauer coaster either. Silver Dollar City is another candidate fitting the same criteria, although with a more recent investment in the form of 2018's Time Traveller, and that huge Rapids ride it built last year which means 2022 might be too early for another huge coaster.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
If I remember correctly from a recent-ish Cedar Point thread, they're replacing their staff dormitories and upgrading some electrical infrastructure. That park appears not to have any coaster in the pipeline for the immediate future.

I think we can also rule out Six Flags in general for this one, with even Gerstlauers being out of their budget. I don't see it going anywhere in Orlando either. Busch Gardens might have the budget, but we know BGW has other plans in the pipeline and BGT still has Iron Gwazi to milk for another few years. King's Dominion might have shot for that record a couple of decades ago, but now they're toying with that S&S Free Spin. Kings Island might not be likely to add a new ride so soon after Orion. Likewise, Hersheypark still has Candymonium being too fresh to start thinking of another coaster already. Any lesser Cedar Fair park is too neglected to be considered a likely candidate here. Canada's Wonderland could have been a candidate, but it's not in the US. Knott's Berry Farm has no space. (no kidding)

Maybe Holiday World? Their latest big investment was Thunderbird back in 2015. The park is obviously capable of building such big coasters, but haven't done so in a while. They've never had a Gerstlauer coaster either. Silver Dollar City is another candidate fitting the same criteria, although with a more recent investment in the form of 2018's Time Traveller, and that huge Rapids ride it built last year which means 2022 might be too early for another huge coaster.
Because Knott's doesn't already have a Gerstlauer Infinity. ;)

Magic-Man

Mega Poster

I think we can also rule out Six Flags in general for this one, with even Gerstlauers being out of their budget. I don't see it going anywhere in Orlando either. Busch Gardens might have the budget, but we know BGW has other plans in the pipeline and BGT still has Iron Gwazi to milk for another few years. King's Dominion might have shot for that record a couple of decades ago, but now they're toying with that S&S Free Spin. Kings Island might not be likely to add a new ride so soon after Orion. Likewise, Hersheypark still has Candymonium being too fresh to start thinking of another coaster already. Any lesser Cedar Fair park is too neglected to be considered a likely candidate here. Canada's Wonderland could have been a candidate, but it's not in the US. Knott's Berry Farm has no space.

BGT makes a decent amount of sense (and SWE is no stranger to adding multiple big rides in a row). The challenging terrain could actually be the Serengeti Plain, and keeping the noise to a minimum due to the animals, but that's just me reaching here.

It's probably somewhere hilly, AKA Silver Dollar City, Holiday World, or Kennywood.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Maybe Holiday World? Their latest big investment was Thunderbird back in 2015. The park is obviously capable of building such big coasters, but haven't done so in a while.

This is honestly something I keep coming back to. It was 9 years between Voyage and Thunderbird.

Unless it's SDC or BGW (who's plans changed) I think it's likely that the front runner thought is Holiday World.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Someone on Twitter brought up Glenwood Caverns, which makes a decent amount of sense. Challenging terrain and record breaking (highest elevation?).
Yeah... No.

Based on their other rides and coasters I very highly doubt they'd have the money for anything more than a used Zamperla Mouse.