What's new

Glasses on coasters?!

zazobo

Hyper Poster
For those of us who are unfortunate enough to have to wear specs, what do you tend to do on coasters? I can't wear contact lenses so that option's out, but I would really nice to be able to actually SEE during rides.. I'm taking a trip to PA next month and it'd be great to enjoy the view from the top of Shambhala.

I often see people wearing glasses on rides but on the other hand I often see glasses sitting in the safety nets at parks..

Do any of you have any nifty tricks to keep glasses on?! Are any rides/ride types particularly bad for glasses wearers?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
We used to have CF glasses straps, don't know if there are any left! :lol:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I impulse bought a glasses strap at Busch Gardens Tampa. I used it for that day, but it was hardly a life changer. Just been taking them off since unless I know that the coaster won't rip them off for me.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I know it sounds dense.. but do you reckon tight inversion based coasters are more/less 'rip glasses off face' than hypers/launched coaster!?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
zazobo said:
I know it sounds dense.. but do you reckon tight inversion based coasters are more/less 'rip glasses off face' than hypers/launched coaster!?
I suspect it's the violent woodies (thinking Stampida) or coasters with lots of ejector where it'd be the worst, I couldn't really think something like Shambhala would be a problem. Dragon Khan would probably be fine too to be honest, but you'd be best securing them somehow.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I bought my glasses strap at a sports shop, it was only a couple of quid and keeps my glasses pretty tight on my face for riding coasters. Works for inversions, launches, all sorts of coasters really, I've never felt like they were going to fall off.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I've always used a glasses strap, available from any outdoors type shop. Never had an issue other than being made to remove my glasses in Japan.

The glasses strap has been a game changer for me, as someone who can't wear contact lenses. I can still enjoy the view from coasters!

nealbie

CF Legend
In theory, a correctly fitting pair of glasses will not fall off from insane ejector/shaking/inversions/excessive hangtime. (Mine have not done, although I also wear contact lenses)

Alas, as CF's resident optician I don't carry the necessary tools with me to Lives to help everyone with loose specs. :p

For all those saying they don't get on with contacts, I'd recommend giving some more expensive ones a go, 95% of people are suitable for contacts, but obviously it's a balance between budget/convenience. I fully recommend Johnson and Johnson's (A Family Company) Acuvue Oasys two weekly lenses. They're fab, have UV protection and cost on average about £20 for a month's worth. :)

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Thanks all, v v helpful. I shall purchase a glasses strap!

Sadly contacts for me are a no go, even the mega expensive snazzy silicone ones. Some of the medication I take makes my eyes dry as ryvita..

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I used to wear a strap but my glasses are pretty tight and stay on. So I just wear them. Ridden a few sling shots with them on, a bunch of sky coasters, including the 300 footer, crazy flat rides like thr huss topspin or the mondial topscan... Uh, and many coasters including flyers like Manta and Superman, Smiler at Alton.... 3 different dive machines, a bunch of EuroFighters, 3 MS Sky Loops.... I've never even worried about them coming off.
I guess you could just shake your head around quick and see if they stay on? Or buy a sports strap... A little less tacky then park brand ones that may be giant and brightly colored. Cedar Fair is the only chain I've visited where they made me remove my glasses that didnt have a strap and even then it was just on the inverts ( patriot and silver bullet) and on Dragster.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
I used to wear eyeglasses, now I wear contacts. When I wore glasses and rode coasters, I would simply bend the ear piece a little so it kind of bended around my ear. They could then easily bend back to normal shape after. Did this for years, they never fell off.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
The first time I ride any coaster I usually go without my glasses and try to judge if it'll be okay to wear them for rerides. I did this with Shambhala and judged that it would be okay and alas it was. I don't really like the look of glasses straps but as others have said as long as your glasses have been fitted properly there shouldn't be any problems.

Definitely do not ride Furius Baco with glasses on - that ride is brutal and on my first go it literally shook my glasses off my face. It's the only coaster that's ever done this to me and I was very fortunate to have caught them in my hands.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
My brother has(had) glasses, so when he goes on a roller coaster, he just hopes they don't fly off. It's worked well so far! *knocks on wood*

BigBad

Mega Poster
http://ekusa.com/product-category/outdo ... retainers/

I've used EK straps for a long time and never come close to having a problem on a coaster if I cinch it tight. Kingda Ka kind of displaced them a bit, but not even close to blowing off, and the other rides there didn't move them one bit.

They also survived skydiving, so straps can work really well. I can't imagine it mattering what brand you get, but I think I use their Cat Strap model.

I should note that I wear sunglasses, not seeing glasses.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Thanks guys, sounds like I may be overthinking the DANGER.

I'll definitely invest in one of those retainers which you can tighten round the back of your head. Those look v good.

Re. Furious Baco, that's a very good point. I'm surprised it doesn't dislodge bones.. Let alone glasses..

witchfinder

Giga Poster
I'm quite surprised to read all this. I always thought you had to take glasses off and it wasn't an option to keep them on. That's been my experience at most UK parks at least.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, weirdly, US parks don't seem to care about glasses anywhere near like we do.

On the 2008 US trip no park said anything - but then I lost them on the last ride of the trip on Phoenix, so I do wear straps or contacts now xD

But here, it's a big no no. I do get it to be honest, and find it weird that US parks are so OK with it.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
I can manage without mine and still see fairly well (if a bit blurry) anyway so I don't think I'd take the risk.