What's new

Girl falls from tomb blaster queue

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I dunno? Some of that queue line does get very high. I'm interested in seeing this followed through and what the actual cause was. It sounds like there was a hole in a fence or netting and she's gone through it.

Idlewild

Mega Poster
30ft sounds like the height of the ride building, it sounds like the parks fault. i hope she gets better.

Ethan

Strata Poster
The Daily Mail said:
Jessica Blake was said to have plunged through a gap left by a missing plank in a rope-style bridge leading to the Tomb Blaster ride at Chessington World of Adventures, in Surrey.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
That queue line was a bit poor when I went a couple of weeks ago (it was hard to figure out where exactly to go) but it didn't seem unsafe - my guess is the bridge got damaged in the bad weather and none of the staff noticed (and no customers pointed it out). Hope the kid is OK.

Really old picture being used by Daily Mail there! Blimey...

Photo of the rope bridge on this page here:
http://porsmond.bravepages.com/Chessing ... ssie2.html

That ain't 30 foot!

Treeis

Mega Poster
Hmmm, I dont know how much of this actually happened and how much the paper has made up. Because, lets face it...the media always gets the details wrong, and it seems like The Daily Mail are really trying to make Chessington look like the bad guys... I dunno.

This is a brief glimpse at the "bridge" from an old peice of film I took. Im pretty sure none of those planks would be damaged anough to leave a gap. I remember walking over the bridge and its pretty darn sturdy.

By the way, Im not saying Im denying the whole incident. I bet a girl did fall off the queue line. But was it really all Chessingtons fault? I dunno, this article makes me suspicious

ry1996

Mega Poster
Well it depends if the planks are missing and how many, cause if planks are missing then the accident could have been caused due to poor maintenance, or it could have been the poor weather but i'm sure i read that some guests reported some planks missing there?. So this could be Chessingtons fault or it could not be, either way i hope the girl does get better. But that bridge is not 30ft.

Danny

Roller Poster
Whilst my prayers go out to her and her family, far too many people have been slating Chessington on the whole on Facebook, suggesting the park should be closed entirely. Not the publicity Chessington nor any park would want.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Yeah, I see quite a few comments saying the place looks tired, and a bit of proper looking-after would have avoided this accident.

Jake

Strata Poster
I think her falling through a hole in the rope fence is more plausible to be honest. You often see gaps/holes in fences like that, be it from wear and tear or just vandalism. If that's the case it's sort of the parks fault, but parents should be more careful too, as hazards like this are present everywhere in everyday life.

That's what I think probably happened anyway, could be wrong...

Lofty

CF Legend
Hmm, although debating the height as being 30ft (which it clearly isn't), as Jake said, if there indeed is a gap in the fence, the park are definitely to blame.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
I find it staggering if the park didn't notice a missing gap in a plank or netting, if that was the case. So if they haven't been checking their rides and their paths, Chessington are in trouble.

But if the girl has climbed over, fallen off and her parents haven't been looking out for her, then my sympathy is muted.

xkirstyx

Roller Poster
my family went when it happened they closed the ride after the accident around lunch time and someone would have noticed a plank missing and told somone, and a member of staff said she climbed over the barrier.

Jake

Strata Poster
Just having a look on street view, and this is about as high as it goes (the other bridges/raised sections are all around the same height, give or take a couple of feet). I'd say it's around 10ft, with the highest bits being 15 MAXIMUM, when adding the railings/walls too.

wombblaster.jpg

wombblaster2.jpg

30ft is ridiculous, considering the highest bit of track on this is 36ft, and is a hell of a lot higher:

l8b8k2k85k78bfe002u9ao.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster
If an average sized adult fell from that bridge, would they be very injured? Because it looks so low to the ground!

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Papers will milk this sort of incident for all they are worth.

Despite the negative publicity (which is bound to happen after this sort of affair - no-one wants a 4 year old to fall from any sort of height and seriosuly hurt themself) it's a shame that press officers at many parks don't take more action if a claim like this from a newspaper is spurious, and turns out to be wrong.

Partly because theme parks will advertise 2-4-1s in the national tabloids who get the biggest readership, and in that respect the media have them bent over in regards to advertising in their papers.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Well, I've heard this on BBC national radio now, which isn't good news for Chessington. Best option now would be to announce a major refurb - mud sticks, and they've got to be seen to be doing something.

A

Anonymous

This was the main story on ITV London news this evening.

According to the report Chessington are adamant that there were no gaps between the planks on the bridges, but are concentrating their investigation on the fencing in the queue line.