What's new

COTALAND | Texas | Gerstlauer Infinity Shuttle (Palindrome) & Vekoma Tilt (Circuit Breaker) & Others

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
STEVENSVILLE, Md. — Gerstlauer Amusement Rides, GmbH, a proud partner of Ride Entertainment, has signed an agreement to manufacture a one-of-a-kind, Infinity roller coaster for a soon-to-be-named customer in the United States. The attraction, which is scheduled to open in late 2022, will be formally announced at the IAAPA Expo in Orlando next month.

“I am constantly amazed at how the team at Gerstlauer conquers unique challenges thrown their way,” said Ed Hiller, CEO and Founder of Ride Entertainment. “This new Infinity coaster will have guests racing to it in order to be the first to ride as it is being installed at a high-profile location.”

Ride Entertainment’s world-renown Installation team will construct the ride for the client.

“This project will once again showcase the ingenuity and creativity of Gerstlauer,” added Hiller. “In addition, our outstanding Installation team will be able to show why they are the gold standard of the attractions industry.”
Feels like Déjà Vu

And no, this does not appear to be the already-announced Defiance to Glenwood Caverns, very different USA project and we’ll find out at IAAPA next month!

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster

Feels like Déjà Vu

And no, this does not appear to be the already-announced Defiance to Glenwood Caverns, very different USA project and we’ll find out at IAAPA next month!
I know that most people will say Cedar Point as it is a realistic possibility with Wicked Twister being demolished over the winter period with construction possibly starting early 2022, leading to a late 2022 opening.

However, some digging has lead me to find something interesting at another Cedar Fair park, Also known as Carowinds, with the closure of their rapids ride and their outdoor theatre, the large area could potentially be home to this ride.

Carowinds.png

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
I know that most people will say Cedar Point as it is a realistic possibility with Wicked Twister being demolished over the winter period with construction possibly starting early 2022, leading to a late 2022 opening.

However, some digging has lead me to find something interesting at another Cedar Fair park, Also known as Carowinds, with the closure of their rapids ride and their outdoor theatre, the large area could potentially be home to this ride.

View attachment 13854
Nnnooope. Only KD is getting new rides for 2022, apparently.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
For a late 22 opening, it doesn't make sense for a seasonal park... so who has a longer season, where a ride opening wouldn't be a waste (ie: why would CP open a ride for a month before they close for the year...)

So maybe Fun Spot Orlando? Caro could be an option. Something randomly in Texas? Dollywood? I'd think Owa could be a good candidate if not for already having Thunder. Alabama Adventure....if not for the "late" opening. Or maybe, maybe, it's for Canobie Lake, to replace Corkscrew. That as plausible as CP getting it 🙃

IAAPA is just a few weeks away, so we'll find out soon enough

Last edited:

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
For a late 22 opening, it doesn't make sense for a seasonal park... so who has a longer season, where a ride opening wouldn't be a waste (ie: why would CP open a ride for a month before they close for the year...)

So maybe Fun Spot Orlando? Caro could be an option. Something randomly in Texas? Dolltwood? I'd think Owa could be a good candidate if not for already having Thunder. Alabama Adventure....if not for the "late" opening. Or maybe, maybe, it's for Canobie Lake, to replace Corkscrew. That as plausible as CP getting it

IAAPA is just a few weeks away, so we'll find out soon enough

This is mostly my AA fanboy talking, so let that be known.

Dan Koch has talked about Gerst for years at this point, anyone remember the Winterfest vote? While yes, this is a Infinity, things have changed before. IAAPA would be the place to say you are adding a coaster, then in park tradition, drop something like the POV of the ride on Thanksgiving (got to get those holiday presents in). The park has the space, the budget, and guest to do this.

The Late 2022 opening is weird, but Dan has always wanted to do a Christmas event at the park, and a brand new coaster would be a hell of a draw.

I can’t believe I am really saying this, but I think Koch really just pulled the trigger after 10 years.

Pear

Strata Poster
I doubt they are going to remove the rapids and I think they're just going to renovate them like Knott's did a few years ago with theirs. If they wanted to remove the rapids they would have cleared the area when it closed about 3 years ago.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Personally, I’m very excited for this! It could very well be what many of us expected from that record-breaking mystery Gerstlauer (Defiance). Granted, I’m no longer expecting it to grab the inversion record by any means (or go to Cedar Point period), but this has the potential to be a real standout and highly unique coaster. So I have some theories…

- Given the unusual opening season (“late 2022”), there’s only 3 parts of the country with parks open then: Florida/the Southeast, California and Texas.
- The “high-profile client” sounds like an already established park, which along with the late opening season, narrows down the location significantly. Though most of these parks already have 2022 additions lined up (and Knotts already has an Infinity), narrowing the possible candidates down to Alabama Adventure, Fun Spot Orlando/Kissimmee, Owa or some wildcard.

And for my predictions:
- The “one-of-a-kind” gimmick will be a shuttle-esque feature. I could especially see something like Fury at Bobbejaanland (2 turntables, a swing launch and 2 spikes) or Mystic at Walibi Rhône-Alpes (shuttle section with a spike and a turntable) - it’d be completely unique to the States, as both Infinity coasters here are full-circuit layouts with a lift. Or cynically, I could just be reading too much into the wording, and “one-of-a-kind” just means this coaster won’t be a clone.

- Fun Spot getting this Infinity wasn’t my initial guess, due to that pricey RMC going to their Atlanta location in 2022 as well. But the more I think about this, the more plausible Fun Spot receiving this coaster seems to me. Mine Blower was also announced at IAAPA back in 2016, so this wouldn’t be unusual for them, and a smaller-scale Infinity (Mystic or Karacho-sized) would probably be within their price range. Plus, it’d be the first of its kind on the East Coast, and a highly unique experience in the Orlando market.

All in all, I’m really grateful for an excuse to dive into some good old coaster predictions and theories, especially considering how few teasers and major projects there’s been to speculate about over these past two announcement seasons. Will be keeping a close eye on this one for sure, and I can't wait to see what that Gerstlauer ends up being!

Matt N

CF Legend
I honestly think Fun Spot Orlando might be a good shout; Florida certainly lends itself to an out-of-season opening more than most parts of America, and 9 years will have elapsed since the big expansion by 2022, so I certainly think it sounds like a good fit!

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Tripling down on AA
The top is Google Maps, older, from before Rocket Racers construction
Second image is from Bing Maps, during Rocket Racers going up

This is from Boomerangs old plot, which as a reminder, can fit an infinity with no issue.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
The other option I've heard mentioned is the new Mattel theme park in Glendale Arizona. Ground work seems to have just started for the resort, big client with well known name and the weather to support year round operation.

The only question is can they get the whole park up in a year.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
I actually just watched that. Pigeon Forge would be the best possible option for me, because I'm going to be living in the area soon. It makes a lot of sense too.
I am actually onboard with his prediction, plus he actually explains and shows why his prediction makes sense.