What's new

Georgia Photo Trip Report

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I’ve had so little motivation to hammer the rest of the summer trip out in here, but here’s the next bit, months after the fact. I had three full days here, but I’ll just knock it all out in this single post.

Oh, if you were expecting Georgia as in the US state, sorry, but no. This was Georgia the country, which I flew into after spending a few days in Azerbaijan. So, any of you basic bitches who are only interested in reading about places you’ve already been to yourself already might want to stop now.

If you’re still reading, I had an evening flight from Baku to Tbilisi, but didn’t do anything that evening. The next day was a general city day, but I tried to squeeze in a couple of +1s. The city is pretty big, but anything of any real note for tourists is all very concentrated around one main area and is very walkable. It was absolutely lovely, but away from that main area, which I headed out of a couple of times for creds, was a bit run down and s**t, which I guess is mostly true of any major city.

Day 1 – Tbilisi
I was staying right in that main area though, so just went for a random wander that first morning. The weather makes it look a bit gloomy, but I really liked this place.

O45gsIO.jpg

vCW1VWf.jpg

N8Ii9vp.jpg

0uqFVWP.jpg

e84ifv0.jpg

oADMj0I.jpg

51kB31p.jpg

0b3DSty.jpg

z9msK48.jpg

6nldD0X.jpg

I found this completely accidentally, but loved it. It’s a puppet theatre (no shows at that time of year) and the owner built the fab clock tower by himself apparently.

ETEuaxH.jpg

4aYerwM.jpg

Ty7XpUg.jpg

tE5sIE4.jpg

Georgia – Saint George. Get it?

8aHuGfN.jpg

eA7KtSu.jpg

VpO6zoX.jpg

Rk5sA0g.jpg

MnwpKjx.jpg

OcIhkmV.jpg

61lgwJ7.jpg

Aqj0CKl.jpg

This was being saved for later:

hozFjVF.jpg

It was early afternoon by this point. Since I’d covered one section of the city already, I decided to pick up a couple of +1s.

Gldani Park

A metro ride to a really horrible area, followed by a ten-minute bus ride to get this:

ILtM5NI.jpg

N42mnYZ.jpg

Great.

Then it was back to the metro to get here, which was just a few minutes’ walk from the station and not too far out of the city at all.

Samgori Park

No sign of life here at all. It was mid-afternoon though, so I figured it might be an evening place and that I would try again another time if I could be bothered.

goy85Qe.jpg

su0bOjF.jpg

9Kll31d.jpg

SJYEDNg.jpg

zCtgWSv.jpg

IH8L7VF.jpg

Back to the tourist s**t then, heading back into the city and up to some church.

9E7FDst.jpg

uly4WK6.jpg

LktyRMM.jpg

zuEAwaA.jpg

xdiKPVX.jpg

GK5jwkP.jpg

6JsNu1E.jpg

5ikPZwX.jpg

And then back down to the river area. Most tourist stuff is on either side of a fairly short stretch of river, including a bunch of sulfur baths (the domed buildings) with a river/waterfall area behind. Photo overdose:

IYzMriI.jpg

iioatI2.jpg

tklODX5.jpg

veBbhpn.jpg

mZXIzWN.jpg

lEGBjoN.jpg

krQyjuZ.jpg

HTNBhOz.jpg

6epuoWw.jpg

hwzjgco.jpg

WSJ8MlJ.jpg

XYWlhqY.jpg

qoHT5yL.jpg

PtmuXOA.jpg

vDwRpuq.jpg

hwIQGO6.jpg

AV4LMwj.jpg

r1EiXDd.jpg

mdlGcxb.jpg

Gw20ieX.jpg

OmjAXuU.jpg

MgMeYdZ.jpg

CQkm7zc.jpg

j4xrUfZ.jpg

ssIXPIG.jpg

kVZGtKL.jpg

XdAkRDu.jpg

iTAJZk5.jpg

I got food at an “expensive” fancy restaurant in the main tourist area, which was amazing and cost less than I pay here for lunch at a crappy chain restaurant, and called it a day.

Day 2 – Outside Tbilisi

As with Baku, I booked myself onto a day tour to see a bunch of stuff outside. As I’ve said before, I’ve never really liked this style of doing things, preferring to do stuff myself, but, again, it was a very easy option. It turned out to be fab though. The places were all amazing, but it was also a fab little group of people with a really great tour guide who was really friendly and chilled out and didn’t feel the need to constantly bore everyone to death with pointless information.

Anyway, first up was this view:

96C8GF5.jpg

iisht68.jpg

M4qOcNY.jpg

Then it was onto this place (I think it was called Ananuri? Can’t be arsed to check now) which was gorgeous.

NVDEvoE.jpg

yAyYyrF.jpg

bPM5qMk.jpg

i8VKwjD.jpg

jKhpgNO.jpg

TT74usD.jpg

EnP9cpw.jpg

61z1fuJ.jpg

a8KWTgj.jpg

ZG7BOTs.jpg

7Ce0Xpf.jpg

RCqO8Xx.jpg

BPQuK0c.jpg

Fycx1wn.jpg

tjORYmj.jpg

XmVCpW2.jpg

SuYpcAU.jpg

aPMpckw.jpg

We stopped for lunch after that, with the option of whitewater rafting. I decided to do that since it was only about 15 quid and was better than just hanging around the restaurant. I didn’t take my phone or camera though since it was really wet. It was fun though, not particularly intense, but a good way to see a bit of the area. It passed through this bit where two different-coloured rivers meet:

n58XTCA.jpg

Continuing up into the mountains then. The scenery through the whole journey was stunning, and a bit frightening at times since the roads were narrow, winding and ridiculously high up with very little to stop cars from plunging over the edge. We went up through some ski resort areas to some monument on top of a mountain. The monument was alright, but the views were amazing. There was an option to do paragliding, but I didn’t have enough cash on me. I’ve done it before, so probably wouldn’t have done it anyway.

HivYDZC.jpg

Nhkjllz.jpg

obqHSqi.jpg

JVR8cRR.jpg

CHgMyrz.jpg

QfjoxL6.jpg

6OZziKE.jpg

BtUKBnN.jpg

BY90Sej.jpg

mEAPVYA.jpg

eaQQLkW.jpg

ITU7Ikc.jpg

4zaGJyE.jpg

HtQyxN7.jpg

13yvglj.jpg

h6t0HeY.jpg

S17OnGw.jpg

e2FN6aF.jpg

pWQbyb0.jpg

pTJZIcP.jpg

3RUSMK2.jpg

gMvF50u.jpg

FzMm6rH.jpg

a8r9hEA.jpg

The final stop was another church on a hill, and would have been pretty impressive if the mist hadn’t rolled in by that point, meaning that there wasn’t much to see from up there. It’s the one right on the top of the hill in the first photo. Our minibus had no chance of getting up there, so we transferred to a few smaller cars.

iKYvoj7.jpg

xFhS3ae.jpg

psg3vm8.jpg

gtdr1Ay.jpg

We had dinner close by then a long drive back to Tbilisi, getting back at around 10pm, meaning that the whole trip had been about 14 hours. It was well worth doing though.

Day 3 – More Tbilisi

I did a bit of a repeat of part of the first day since the weather was much nicer, but also took the cable car up to some fortress area and then walked back down. There’s not much up there, but the views were decent.

dN0U6NJ.jpg

dzc51JE.jpg

dGGACl8.jpg

Qe3AREc.jpg

TBJyxlC.jpg

G52RWBf.jpg

bl3kFiD.jpg

ilyf0Ww.jpg

Kh0cUIj.jpg

QplKPjb.jpg

sjp8sJu.jpg

ouUlUoN.jpg

7la6Vl3.jpg

12zzE8B.jpg

J8awgcD.jpg

YUoWrB3.jpg

zTplGuz.jpg

JrhteAe.jpg

r2tWSmY.jpg

RxXvmkQ.jpg

rntPw5u.jpg

VwJZEZ8.jpg

xr9tWgu.jpg

mEEeWDK.jpg

1lFY7Eu.jpg

HBafLut.jpg

CqJTeVv.jpg

The best thing you can see from up there is this, where I headed to next:

CFvTc04.jpg

Mtatsminda Park

Access is via a funicular. You buy a card at the bottom and put credit it on for both the funicular and any rides you want at the top.

EkVBOWx.jpg

1KTzGod.jpg

The view from the top is pretty impressive.

ves42Bn.jpg

uauSqO5.jpg

Pfixcz3.jpg

eyy0cha.jpg

SSoNgdM.jpg

ca61ouY.jpg

J2oGYAV.jpg

0v8zl5P.jpg

There’s a decent enough ride selection at the top. The “highlight” and Georgia’s biggest coaster, is American Mountains (nothing American about it since it’s a Chinese looper).

b6t0a0I.jpg

WEDKeLU.jpg

1wOC5Oq.jpg

jdZFuQo.jpg

zjJaxWx.jpg

jdk9i3g.jpg

NBPeX8q.jpg

Tqx0i0B.jpg

MjU8niM.jpg

XXFxHkd.jpg

hkJPclT.jpg

qX8ZVas.jpg

Ho4yG50.jpg

Gh33EOQ.jpg

25iCMsb.jpg

o9dvIO0.jpg

9DKutZD.jpg

Clearly, it’s nothing amazing, but it was still a decent-sized place given where it was, and made me think even more about how Baku, with double the population, more free space and a s**tload more money can’t manage to throw something up.

Some +1s then.

Vake Park

Vake is quite a posh area of the city, with a pretty impressive park which includes a tiny amusement park area, featuring yet another big apple.

vWk3MGg.jpg

VKa8aMf.jpg

JwgOZ7a.jpg

SbIgly8.jpg

F4FCPF7.jpg

tHuUPgO.jpg

70t0212.jpg

WNlZvct.jpg

hDka3Lt.jpg

MNGZJb1.jpg

Mushtaidi Park

Can you guess what’s in here?

WB0sgaX.jpg

5gX6iLX.jpg

AQCvPeS.jpg

3WDQBz4.jpg

LSflIIm.jpg

eoFywk4.jpg

I ended the day by heading back to the place from the first day since it was later in the day than the first time.

Samgori Park Take 2

Nope. It’s f**ked. Some kids were using the swinging ship as a place to hang out, but this place is clearly closed, which I confirmed with someone else later who had spoken to someone in a food kiosk (the only thing open on their visit, but not by the time I was there) who said that nothing would be reopening.

5SqNhES.jpg

O2ONYso.jpg

qkHo6eu.jpg

oOPN0w7.jpg

B6B5PYN.jpg

Nq4wXJ2.jpg

VckXbk5.jpg

I had a ridiculously early start the next morning to get to the final city/country of the trip, which I’ll try and get to soon.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow, some excellent views from those mountain overlooks. Churches propped on the edges of cliffs is always rather impressive, and you got some great photos!

Also rather like the puppet theater clock-tower thing. Beautiful in a strange kind of way.

Looks better than the real Georgia, that's for sure. Even if it doesn't have a B&M. :p