What's new

General public opinion survey results....

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Have you ever wondered about what the general public think?

Well I have. It's been bothering me for years.

I set up a survey, and over the past few days I've struggled to find willing non-enthusiasts to fill it out. I was super selective, not even offering it to friends who I believed "knew too much" via me. I managed to get a handful of complete strangers to fill it in also via Reddit. The individuals who filled it out range in age, but lie mostly around my age group of early 20's. They are predominantly in the UK, but a decent portion are US and I had 3 Auzzies fill it out. It's by no means the most scientific of studies, and the answering format encouraged people to interpret the questions and say whatever the hell they wanted, because I wanted to have very little control or influence over their shared opinions.

I'm going to write an article on the results, but I thought I'd share it with you guys as it's truly fascinating, depressing and hilarious. The most distressing of observations I've made thus far, is that Merlin were right about wood. :'(

Here's what the survey looked like...

w1IvBen.jpg

Answers...

1. What different typs of roller coaster can you think of?

Wooden, metal,

car ones that sit on the track and go forward, spinning cars that sit on the track and got forward. Hanging cars that sit under rails and go forward. High drops, cork screw and bumps. also ones that seem to want to throw you off the track. As well as ones in darkness with lighting effects.Some go in reverse as well.
the ones that make you go upside down!

Inversion Wooden Steel Where you're sitting in a car/runaway train When your legs are free/dangling and your top half is restrained

Inverted coaster, floorless, wooden, runaway train, winged

corkscrew wooden flying bottomless standing

Scary Wooden and scary Twisty and twirly Up and down

One in Thorpe Park that goes through sandy rocks...it throws you around and makes me feel sick! Lots of corkscrews and loop de loops A basic green dragon one in Southend that goes up and down, no upside downs etc. Don't think that counts Do log flumes and inside rides count?

none

Upside down rollercoaster (where there are twists). A big drop rollercoaster (where there is only one or two massive drops eg. Oblivion at Alton Towers).

hill lifts, sweeping curves, vertical lifts, inverted, but they are all just roller coasters.

Wooden Steel Inverted Wild mouse Electric acceleration

corkscrew, wild mouse, dual track

I can only think of a roller coaster.

What?

Wooden Traditional Steel Stand up Dangle foot style

Wooden, Steel, death trap?

None.. I'm afraid of them! The only one I've ever been on was in Luna Park in Melbourne

Wooden, metal, ones where the seats hang down from the track, ones that sit on top of the track, ones where you stand up, roller coasters for kids that don't go upside down, etc.

ones that make me throw up

Metal, Wooden.

I'm going to go with types, rather than actual ride names, but I can only think of Big dippers (Like, say The Big One at Blackpool), Vertical (Oblivion), Hanging feety thing (Nemesis), Swirly cart thing (Sonic Spinball), LOG FLUME.

Inverted stand-up steel wooden wild mouse

Loop the loop rollercoasters, ones that plummet from a great height, ones where your feet dangle (Vampire at Chessington) and ones where you're sat in a carriage.

accelerator coaster - where you are accelerated at a high speed log coaster (if it counts) - riding on water and including at least one drop. flying coaster - where the carriage is suspended at the top.

I only know a few by name, like "Superman," "Bizzaro," "Yankee Cannonball," and "Flashback." As for specific types... I wasn't even aware there were any. So the technical aspect is lost on me. I just know they go up, and then zoom down.

Wooden, metal, kiddy, long, big, small coasters

Just one- the one's with carriages that roller (?) around on a track. The track can go in any direction or shape. Except an octogon. That's just crazy.

Sit-down ones and ones where your legs are dangling?

Wooden, corkscrew, dangly leg, ladybird, in the dark,

very fast. upside down, legs free kinda rides

Wooden. Crazy mouse. Corkscrew Upsy daisy? Flippidy doo?

None, not a fan of roller coasters really.

corkscrew, vertical drop, log flume (im sure thats not the technical term, i mean one where the train splashes down in water!) wooden rollercoaster, themed rollercoaster?

Are there more than one kind?

Water coasters, wooden, metal, straight, curved, fast, slow, big, small, wide.

Stand up, figure 8, drop tower

Loop, hill style, crazy fast whiplash kind, & then the giant U kind.. Hm. That's all that comes to mind for now.

The saw movie themed one at Thorpe Park, air and oblivion (i think!) at Alton Towers both of which are aptly named. Also grande Huit at park asterix.

G-force

Wooden roller coasters, steel roller coasters, twisty ones where you go upside down, tall ones with sharp drops, lap bar coasters, shoulder bar coasters,coasters where your feet hang, coasters where you lay down

Steel, Wooden, upside-down, flying, stand-up

The ones you sit in with a bar on your waist, the ones where you sit and the thing comes over your shoulders and the ones where you sit in but you leg are dangling.

Vertical drop - those one that just lift you up and drop you Quick launch - ones that shoot you off at the start Figure eight - pretty self explanatory Standing up roller coaster

Scary

Um, the Smiler... Oblivion? The Hulk? Typhoon? I don't know. Is Disneyland's old Pirates of the Caribbean thing one?

Scary ones, twisty one, ones with big drops, water ones

Colossus, nemesis inferno, x no way out. I haven't been to any other theme parks!

To be honest apart from different themes, I was unaware there were any fundamental differences between rollercoasters :S

Standing, Sitting, Ones where the person is on their belly (superman). Then they are either made of wood or metal.

2.) What do you think would make a roller coaster good?

Comfortable ride, not too high, moments of tension, feeling of speed, moments of 'catching air'

be more in the dark so as not to freak you out looking at it or being scared of heights. its all about the adrenalin not the vertigo

maybe having load music

High speed. Large/inverted drops like Saw @ Thorpe Park. Loop the loop. Picturesque views

Intensity, smooth ride like Montu in Bush Gardens, speed and height.

to be able to go through water

Nothing, they're scary

The impression of peril with complete safety.

Build up, a big thrill at the end and not too repetitive

scary enough, fun design

I like it to be fast with lots of twists (although not painful when your head gets knocked about)and a few upside down turns.

more extreme rides

A smooth, fast ride with exhilarating turns and drops and significant G-forces.

speed, weather it goes upside down etc

Lots of fun dives and crazy turns without making me feel sick!

Large downward drops

If its a steel coaster, speed and lots of g's. A good wooden one should beat the crap out of you, be really rough.

Speed, height.

Not dying?

Extreme safety precautions

I would enjoy a roller coaster that started with a buildup like going slowly up at a diagonal, then accelerating to very high speeds. I also like a lot of corkscrews or fast turns. I enjoy a roller coaster more if it has a smooth ride and doesn't jerk my head around.

one which doesn't make me throw up

Strong, comfortable and secure harness. Smooth ride,Looks sturdy and safe,nice setting.
I likes me some big, fast drops. Spinny things hurt my shoulders. The launch of the Rock n' Rollercoaster is pretty good too. That's also cool for the bits in the dark.

Speed

Speed and variety. Not too many loop the loops as this can create a feeling of nausea rather than enjoyment.

A mix of surprises and tension before a drop.

The unique thrill factor. A lot of the more famous coasters have gimmicks, so the experience becomes something to remember. Then again, I get motion sickness, so what's good in a coaster for me is not getting on one!

Nice time length of ride (at least 3-4 minutes), creative and unique design that stands out from most typical coasters

It goes fast, with at least two laps. Plus it's massive. In fact, you go on a roller coaster just to queue up for the big one!

A smooth and relatively lengthy ride, with a variety to its track layout (loop-de-loops, corkscrews)

Lots of G forces, long ride or short queue,

a non jolty one so my i dont sprain my neck, eek

Interesting theming. The feeling of your stomach receding into your lower intestine.

Fast with lots of dips and turns.

I'm not a massive fan of coasters, so for me it would be pretty tame. speed is always good, but i don't like rides that go upside down or throw you around too much!

Big drops and cool themes

An equal amount of places where you can just enjoy fast speed, and other places that cause the stomach churning feelings. Needs to have balance.

Fear.

Safety first, knowing it has routine maintenance & such. The thing like most is the drops & loops though. But I don't like so many loops that I feel dizzy. Speed is nice, but not if its so fast that the ride feels 30 seconds long after hours if waiting.

The name definitely gives some impression of what the experience will be like, so a name that gives an impression could definitely add to the enjoyment in both the build up and the rollercoaster itself! Each one should have its own personality.

Lots of drops and things that are unexpected

I enjoyed the roller coasters "Nitro" and "Medusa" from Six Flags in New Jersey... they were smooth, had enough twists and turns and had upside down loops. They were the right speed and had the shoulder bars that made me feel relaxed, confident that I would stay strapped in. I'm not a fan of the lap bar ones because I usually pop out such as wooden roller coasters. I find fast, jerky coasters which whip your head around give me headaches.

Theming and the buildup of suspense

Lots of loops and corkscrews.

personally I think the faster and crazier the better, as long as it has decent and secure safety harnesses i'm good. I also prefer longer 'loopier' rides as opposed to the short 30 second rush type like oblivion(alton towers) I think the minimum a roller coaster needs is a decent speed, and then ideally some loops etc. basically something that gives you a thrill or a bit of adrenalin, something that you wouldn't get during every day life

Feeling safe in the seat before the ride starts

I guess simulating movements and speeds that humans wouldn't usually go at. That's thrilling, isn't it?

A good theme, thrill factor overall experience the queue to entertaining like in the same concept as the. Coster

I'm not a big fan of them so I couldn't say! I don't mind the ones without loops and the ones where you feel safely strapped in

A long enough ride to justify the wait! Thrilling points throughout the ride, not simply one 'good part'

One that gives you the feeling of flight while riding it.

3.) Please describe your opinion or any thoughts that come to mind in response to the roller coasters pictured below. You can be as detailed as you wish or use only a few words. If you recognise the ride, know what it is called, where it is located or have ridden it, please specify, but you do not need to in order to answer the question.

(Photo of Colossus, Thorpe Park)

Enjoyable, worthy of note due to the number of loops, poor ride quality, awful queue time.

Cork Screw coaster, looks pretty scary and exciting like being in a vortex.

its like they are stuck in there!

Collossus @ Thorpe Park. It was fun but the restraints were a bit loose and it almost hurt going through the spiral pictured! There are better rides out there now, but it is still enjoyable. The spiral still looks new and innovative in this picture.

Colossus, rough, headache.

colossus, Thorpe Park, i have ridden it...its twisty shakes your head about

Horrifyingly scary

Spiral. Fern fronds! Potential nausea.

Corkscrew? Vom! Dizzy!

dizzy but fun, like in a capsule

It looks like it would be painful to ride (head getting knocked about) and i would most definitely puke after this part. There are just too many twists.

interesting ride would love to go on it

Some sort of corkscrew.

Looks fun

That may be too many crazy turns.

Would make me sick

Looks fun as hell.

**** yeah

Terrifying. Nausea-inducing. Terrifying.

Nausea, dizziness

corkscrew, dizzy, might be a bit excessive.

no idea

Bloody hell, I feel sick just looking at it!

This should be called Vortex.

That'c Colossus in Thorpe Park and yes I've ridden it. This looks like my ideal roller coaster, fast, thrilling, scary and excitng.

Corkscrew at Thorpe Park - when I sat on it, although it was fun, it did make me feel a little queasy and the corkscrew parts were uncomfortable and resulted in a lot of head banging.

I would describe it as a twister pipeline roller coaster, it looks like a great part of the ride and looks like it would be a very smooth ride.

Sheer, unadulterated terror. I'd call this piece "Rings of Hell."

Looks scary to ride at first, but interesting/fun to try

That's colossus at Thorpe Park. One of the first I rode on, I really ike the spinning part. Until I walk past the ride later and see the cage that catches all the people's stuff that falls out. Since then- everything is chained to me.

This looks fun! Ive never ridden this one (I dont think) but I always enjoy tight vertical corkscrews like this.

Epic. I want to go on it.

the cork screw? is it at Thorpe Park? things that come to mind, very tight spaces, rounnnd and rouuunnnd and rounnd.

What happens if someone throws up? This is not my idea of fun.

Dizzy and sick (lol)

I would never go on this, next!

Looks like it would make you dizzy.

In my opinion, I would hate this kind of coaster

Twister

It seems fun enough, but it's not a ride for me. I don't recognize the ride, & it's hard to tell how close each turn is, but that corkscrew thing would probably make me feel sick.

Looks like an intense, wild and a quick rush of excitement.

Fun, great the first time to ride but also a bit irritating cause your head just bangs on the sides. It's colossus at Thorpe Park

Dizzying. Headache-inducing. Perhaps too much is going on in this ride.

Corkscrew. Looks somewhat nauseating

So much fun. Love the spinning.

I reckon I would enjoy this, I remember going on my first roller coaster that had a corkscrew in it. I think the attraction for a lot of people is that a coaster can take you upside down and make you do flips that you would never be able to otherwise. So any kind of new loop design would be a winner

Dizzy, disorienting,

They're able to do that now? Things have come a long way since Roller Coaster Tycoon. I thought they were just straight tracks that move a little bit. I guess going through a wind tunnel or a washing machine sounds like every child's fantasy. It's cool.

Colossi at Alton towers. Ridden it many times. Good times

This looks a bit like colossus but I'm not sure.

No idea what it where it is, but it looks like it has set itself apart from 'normal' coasters. Looks terrifying-and awesome!

That one looks like it would scramble my brain.

4.) (Photo of El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure)

Worrying because of height and materials used.

Id never go on this, its way to scary being its out doors, made of wood and looks unsafe. which it no doubt isnt. if it was inside it would get more riders who are unexpected of the drop. I wouldn't let my kids on this!

wow!!!!perfect!

This looks like the wooden rollercoaster at Busch Gardens in the US. I've never been here, but would definitely want to go on it. It looks so tall and the construction is beautiful. The views would be good, but I doubt that it would be that much of a thrill ride.

El Toro, 6 flags, intense, fun, vintage.

el toro, 6 flags great adventure, ive been on it, its shaky and really exhilarating,

Less scary, but too tall

Architectural. Fragile? Negative g-force!

Holy ****! Steep!

feels unsafe

Not sure if i've been on this specific one but i've definitely been on something similar (is it in Florida? If so i have been on it). Wooden rollercoasters are really uncomfortable because your teeth are constantly chattering and it's very loud and i don't feel particularly safe on them.

speed and loud short trill ride

A wooden coaster. I generally find these to be uncomfortably rattly.

Looks old, a bit boring...

Looks crazy but fun.

Awesome

Fun, big drops are awsome

Ma god

Not in a million years. Wooden coasters are the worst. Especially the ones with the pathetic lap bar that does absolutely nothing for anything or anyone.

It looks really dangerous to me - like the wood will splinter and crack in the slightest breeze

The height would be a fun factor in this.

no idea

Too high it doesn't look safe or comfortable, I wouldn't use it!

This should be called Rickety Sticks.

This one just looks plain scary I'm not great with heights and this looks like it goes very high and when it does travel up the ramp I imagine the process is slow

Holy crap! comes to mind. This rollercoaster needs more variety, though the plummets look fun.

A wooden roller coaster with very big increases and drops, it looks classical to me.

I'm also afraid of heights, so this is a double whammy. It's impressive to look at but I'd never want to ride it.

Looks like classic, old school coaster

No idea what that is. Match stick land? Now I like a scary ride, but one that looks like it could just kill me just by walking under it in a breeze? I'll pass thanks- where's the X: No way out?

Wooden coasters are nice, and often offer a long ride to them (though they can be bumpy)

Also would want to go on this. Look at how scary the drop looks and how flimsy it looks.

breakable, steep slope

How many storeys high is that? You would not get me on that. Not in a million years. Looks like a strong gust of wind could blow this over.

Scary

I could probably handle it if it were just the smaller section, but that bigger drop looks terrifying!

Steep and scary

I would panic attack on the climb.

Horrific

I like all the hills & drops, but I'm not a big fan of wooden rollercoasters. I've come off them with a neck that hurt for days & a bleeding leg & bruises, but I guess that might be my fault for being somewhat delicate. Still sort of an off putting element for me.

Slow build up to a couple prolonged thrills.

Looks incredible that drop looks insane. Not sure what the ride is.

Rickety. Probably a lap bar. Induces the fly up out of your seat feeling that makes it not so enjoyable. Seems the ride is just about the drop and that's it.

That drop is insane. Looks like something where nostalgia value will give you its very own rush
Love the feeling when you're at the top just before you go shooting down.

I know it can be a strong building material but honestly I don't think I've seen one wooden roller coaster that didn't look dodgy as ****. Like I said before, I would probably enjoy this, but the short climb and drop rides aren't my favourite.

Tension, drop.

Is that thing made of matchsticks? Is that even safe? It looks like it could be set on fire at any moment. The actual track doesn't look very interesting.

Wooden creaky wouldn't ride it

The wood makes it look unsafe! It looks too big for me to go on! Too steep drops

Makes my stomach drop as I'm terrified of heights, but looks like there'll be many boring climbing parts in between the drops

Giant drop. Similar to Kingda Kha.

5.) (Photo of SkyRush, Hersheypark)

Looks interesting, the 'archetypal' roller coaster, I can imagine its silhouette being used on a map.

Looks perfect, fun, strong, safe with some good adrenalin moments

really good!

Not sure where or what this one is. Looks relatively fun, but a little bit boring. More spread out than most coasters and nice scenery to look at. It would have to be really fast to be exciting.

No loops, looks fun

its yellow and spiny and i think it might make me feel sick!

Oh my goodness, why would anyone willingly go on that

Looks comfortable at first glance, but eek!

Picture didn't load :( boo!

aaaaah, traditional kind, great

If this is in Florida or the Netherlands then i've been on it (unsure). This looks fantastic, definitely my kind of rollercoaster. It looks safe, fast, and exciting. The only thing that would make it better would be if it had a theme (like Universal Studios in Florida).

too smooth for me pleasant ride for the family

This looks like fun!

fun :)

A nice long roller coaster ride.

Awesome

If its fast it would be cool.

Olly molly

NO.

This is definitely the most manageable for me - smooth and steady. I obviously have a fear of roller coasters!

Looks like it would be fun if it went really fast.

no idea

I might risk this one, but I don't like the colour...blue would be better

This should be called Bananapanic.

This one looks a bit more tame than the others but it still looks very fun and thrilling

This one looks fun and varied, probably not as scary as the previous two.

I think I can see some inversions in the track and it looks like a very fast roller coaster because of the long extended areas.

No thanks.

Looks thrilling, exciting

I think I recgnise it but... nope. Anyhoo, this one looks pretty cool, it's def the first ride I'd jump on. Unless there was something better.

Im more partial to loops rather than twists in a coaster track.

Again want to go on this. Its bright yellow and it goes upside down. How could you not want to go on this.

spread out, boring.

This looks the least intimidating only because it's not a million stores high. But I'm going to assume that this one is probably the most vomit inducing.

Stomach turning

this looks more like the sort of ride i would go on. ithe track looks more steady with not many massive changes in direction.

Boring

(this looks like vortex from great america in california but im not sure)

Long and scary

Looks fun. I imagine it's a very smooth ride & the twists seem exciting enough. I feel like I've rode the last two rides, but I'm not good at naming & recognizing them. Cedar Point & Kings Island sort of blur into one big park in my head.

A midway between the last 2, not too intense, more consistent.

Looks like a ride with alot of unexpected moments and a whole lot of fun. Don't know the ride.

This has the right curves. They are spaced out enough for my taste and I like the mix of loop tracks and then some time to acclimate on straighter tracks before the next dip/twist occurs.

Puts me in mind of a snake or some kind of lizard. Looks fast but not too sickening

Seems crazy like you'd get thrown around a bit. Awesome.

this kind of looks like Nitro at Six Flags but i can't tell just from the pic. Anyway this is my favourite type, fast, high up, good loops and over shoulder harness. perfect combination.

Interesting, fun, exciting

I don't even know what that is, or where it begins and ends. Is that a spectator zone behind the fence? That's cool for frightening distressed parents, I guess.

Looks fun looks quite scary would like to ride it

This one looks better than 4, it looks slightly more calmer with longer bits in between the big loops. I'd prefer this as it builds it up as opposed to lots of loops at once

Looks like one I went in in Spain which was (at the time) the biggest coaster in Europe....dragon themed... Seems like there's plenty going on to ensure a thrilling ride throughout

This one looks like it would be the most fun to me. It looks like its fast.

PHEW... That took ages to organise in a post.

NegativeG

Roller Poster
I'm kind of amazed at the El Tor comments, and really surprised how many people thought that it was unsafe just because it was wooden.

Also, lol at "its way to scary being its out doors, made of wood and looks unsafe. which it no doubt isnt. if it was inside it would get more riders who are unexpected of the drop"

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Having worked in the industry for 10ish years, and being an enthusiast for much longer, I am always stunned by some of the opinions of the "GP". I would wager 25%-30% of the U.S believe that WDW, UO, and SEA are all the same company.

I hear countless stories of people who fell out of a ride, or got stuck upside down, or saw a piece of track fall off....

I guess at the end of the day it just means the niche for coasters and parks is just that, a niche.

Mike

Giga Poster
The individuals who filled it out range in age, but lie mostly around my age group of early 20's.

With some of the spelling and grammar used in some of the answers, I really have to question this! :lol:

For the El Toro question, it'd be interesting to see how attitudes change depending the respondents country of origin. I reckon it'll be mostly British people claiming they look 'unsafe' and have had found wooden coasters rough in the past (*cough*Blackpool*cough*).

Idlewild

Mega Poster
It amazes me how loosely what some people define as a Roller Coaster, there is no way that a Log Flume can be considered a Roller Coaster (even though I can see the similarities) but even RCT3 fell into that trap.

Some of the people you surveyed thought that drop towers were Roller Coasters. "In the wild" I have heard people call rides like Rocky Express Roller Coasters.

I have seen people on YouTube call Test Track a Roller Coaster.

Snowman

Roller Poster
The El Toro remarks... "Is that thing made of matchsticks? Is that even safe? It looks like it could be set on fire at any moment. The actual track doesn't look very interesting."
I couldn't help but laugh at that. I had no idea people really have thoughts of roller coasters as being unsafe and structurally unsound. I've always thought of them as possibly the safest thing I'll be a part for the entire week- I'm more likely to get struck by lightning during a storm or get into a car crash on the way to the park than die on a roller coaster. Heck, sitting at home, there's more risk for a fire. Not to mention El Toro is one of the most interesting rides out there.

Also, I may just have to refer to Skyrush as Bananapanic from now on.

Oh, and I don't think Test Track being called a roller coaster is THAT far off. It at least depends on the track for power and movement. I totally agree that it's in no way a roller coaster, but the high speed turn is at least partway there.

Jer

Strata Poster
This was a painful read

Boring
Manageable
Smooth

These are not words I would use to describe Skyrush

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll wait for the article before I read the answers properly, but after skim reading it, one of my all time "GP annoyances" cropped up.
loop de loops
You should have put a image of SheiKra on there to see how many people call it "Shakira". That irritates me, too.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
If anything, I'd say the reddit answers are the most grammatically correct, given the slaughtering the slightest error acquires on any internet forum.

I like the lack of written accuracy - it suggests that these people are not spending excessive time online, I think. And that means they are "normal" people, which is what I wanted.

Ian said:
I'll wait for the article before I read the answers properly, but after skim reading it, one of my all time "GP annoyances" cropped up.
loop de loops
You should have put a image of SheiKra on there to see how many people call it "Shakira". That irritates me, too.
The loop de loop thing doesn't bother me, at least it's a descriptive term, like "dangly feet". It shows some kinda of awareness of the world around them. The amount of people who completely failed to answer the question on types I find a little shocking, though they could simply be those who have only ever been to a park once or twice in their life, and perhaps only visited a park which has very little variation of type? I don't know.

The Shakira thing is funny, but understandable... As are people calling Colossus "Corkscrew" with absolute certainly. "That's Corkscrew at Thorpe Park!" I find it interesting that they've got the basic gist of the ride as a concept, but the theme has completely wooshed over their head. That confirms all my suspicions. And it's the same with Sheikra, I guess. Though I'd argue that's a terrible ride name anyway, because even I, as a bird goon, had never heard of said African avian. So it's just a "cool sounding word", and because it sounds so close to Shakira, which is a pop culture word, people are going to associate it. It's understandable.

Idlewild said:
It amazes me how loosely what some people define as a Roller Coaster, there is no way that a Log Flume can be considered a Roller Coaster (even though I can see the similarities) but even RCT3 fell into that trap.

Some of the people you surveyed thought that drop towers were Roller Coasters. "In the wild" I have heard people call rides like Rocky Express Roller Coasters.

I have seen people on YouTube call Test Track a Roller Coaster.
I've never played RCT nor knew about that, so the log flume thing was a shock to me. The drop tower thing even more so, but then it got me thinking, the public seem to see any kind of thrill ride as a coaster. I don't mean just high thrills, but like... Visceral rides, which move substantially. That's an interesting point to consider regarding marketing of rides, I'm surprised parks don't "lie" more often about their rides being roller coasters in light of this. The term "roller coaster" is a lot more dynamic and interesting than "ride".

Mike said:
For the El Toro question, it'd be interesting to see how attitudes change depending the respondents country of origin. I reckon it'll be mostly British people claiming they look 'unsafe' and have had found wooden coasters rough in the past (*cough*Blackpool*cough*).
Yeah you're right, there's an undoubtable correlation between the positive (or rather, non negative) El Toro comments and them being made by Americans.

What I found interesting though, was even the couple of answers made by people who have obviously visited Six Flags Great Adventure, did not identify El Toro.

Is that because all wooden coasters look extremely similar? The fact that this photo is from an angle you don't typically look at Toro from on park? Because they are disinterested in Toro? Maybe a combination? One person said that it looks like "Kingda Kha", now is that person just mistaking names and think's El Toro is called Kingda Ka? Probably, if we count that, then 1 out of 50 people identified El Toro. No one identified Skyrush, and only a handfull identified Colossus. Some of the people who failed to identify Colossus I know for a FACT have been to the park and riden it. Again, it might be the picture I choose, but I choose that one of Colossus for a few reasons - it makes it look more exciting and intense than it is, captures the basic concept of the ride and it's the marketing image the park uses. So I assumed even those who have never been on it, as long as they are from the UK, would recognise it in some way. Nope.

Re: the SkyRush comments, I'm not surprised everyone thinks it looks tame. I picked Skyrush for a reason, but I arguably could have chosen a better image and had the photo been bigger it may have had less "looks boring" style comments. But I suspect Skyrush's silly colour scheme is the main reason, I really do. My mother is one of the ones who said "I might try this". The only major coaster she's been on is Air, and she risked that because "it looked gentle". She happens to like it, but she'd probably die on SkyRush.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I was surprised at the amount of people who talk about the 'loops' on Skyrush. From the photo I feel that you can clearly see that there are no inversions? Just weird to me that people have seen loops where there are none. It's the same thing where people look at coaster track and don't realise it's an invert I guess.

bmac

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
I was surprised at the amount of people who talk about the 'loops' on Skyrush. From the photo I feel that you can clearly see that there are no inversions? Just weird to me that people have seen loops where there are none. It's the same thing where people look at coaster track and don't realise it's an invert I guess.

Haha I remember that when a friend of mine went to Great Adventure for the first time.

"The train is UNDER the track? How the hell does that work?"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Joey said:
I like the lack of written accuracy - it suggests that these people are not spending excessive time online, I think. And that means they are "normal" people, which is what I wanted.

See, to me it suggests the exact opposite.

The survey has just reinforced my idea that the vast majority of people are just really **** ing dumb. It's got nothing to do with being a coaster enthusiast or a member of the "GP" (hate that term by the way), and more to do with being a **** ing moron.

Common sense tells you that if the rides were unsafe, they would not be allowed to open and operate in the first place.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
One of my friends didn't know what a roller coaster was until last summer! It was funny taking him to PBB.

To me, Those answers are understandable for average people who don't know anything. I bet if I asked my friends that same questionairre, I'd get similar results.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
gavin said:
Joey said:

See, to me it suggests the exact opposite.
In what way? The majority of people don't have to write often, moderate-excessive internet use means you have to. I don't understand why poor writing ability would suggest someone uses the internet a lot.

I don't know if I agree with the rest of your comments. Part of me thinks, well yeah it is common sense, but then part of me remembers the horse meat scandal aaaaaand realises why people are so skeptical

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Typically (and by typically I mean if you read the comment section on any news story) it is just filled with bad grammar and idiotic statements. People seem to allow themselves to use poor grammar online because they think, or pretend, people won't know it is them.

y elz wud u tlk lik dis? I've never seen someone write on a paper something as idiotic as that, only on the internet or text messages. Tend to agree with Gavin on this one.

It's not surprising the results you found, I mean when people who stare at a 100 foot tall coaster say it goes 200 mph and is 400 feet and the tallest and fastest ride ever, it's what should be expected.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
You're missing the point.

Kim implied that reddit is full of people who cannot write accurately. That simply isn't true, because like a forum, a high standard of legibility is expected on reddit and failure to do so results in abuse.

People who use the internet moderately-excessive (like us) HAVE to have good command of the written English language.

The kind of people who leave ridiculous comments on news sites are not the kind of people I'm talking about. Those are not moderate-excessive internet users, they rarely stray far from Facebook. And with those people, yes, they are less likely to "bother" because "it's just the internet".

But the point was about reddit, and my point was that the well written posts are highly likley to be those from reddit. The terribly written ones are more likely to be the people I asked to fill it in personally on Facebook, and are individuals from previous education who I rarely speak to.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Hahaha some of these answers are actually hilarious! Surely some of these people must be playing dumb and just trying to be funny.

But anyway it made for an interesting read, thanks for sharing.