What's new

GeaugaLakeisAlive

Roller Poster
Recently hearing the news about Firehawk (formerly known as X-Flight at Geauga Lake) at King's Island shutting down, I decided to make this thread. Since Geauga Lake was my home park, I have many fond memories of the park. Sadly, by the time I was tall enough to ride most of the coasters, the park shut down, leaving only the waterpark. My goal as an enthusiast is to ride all of Geauga Lake's relocated coasters. Please, share some of your memories of Geauga Lake or the rides relocated from there.

Snoo

The Legend
Well, considering we share the same home town, I share many of the same memories, I'm just 14 years older then you. I did get to visit Geauga Lake, all versions of Six Flags, and Geauga Lake again including its closing season. Shame it died but had a ton of fun marathoning rides there as well as just enjoying a few hours relaxing.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Thank you for your extremely insightful contribution to this thread. Greatly appreciated.
No need to be a dick is there?

On Geauga Lake I didnt realise at one point it was the biggest park in the world technically after the seaworld acquisition. For the local guys what was the reason of the failure, mismanagement? Proximity to other key parks? anything else?

GeaugaLakeisAlive

Roller Poster
No need to be a dick is there?

On Geauga Lake I didnt realise at one point it was the biggest park in the world technically after the seaworld acquisition. For the local guys what was the reason of the failure, mismanagement? Proximity to other key parks? anything else?
The biggest theory was after six flags filed for bankruptcy and sold the park to cedar fair, cedar fair was looking to a reason to shut down the park. The idea is they didn't want Geauga Lake taking business away from Cedar Point so they slowly started to shut it down.

sirloin

Roller Poster
I worked there in 2005 as part of the X-Flight crew. I had actually never been to the park before, but they were offering out-of-state housing that summer and I got offered attractions, and a coaster at that, so it was a good opportunity, and I have the fondest of memories of the place. Many friendships I made there last to this day, and what a fun place to be. Sure, it was a quiet park, but it was a great place to just go and walk around. All that real estate resulted in a lot of quiet places where you could just go and chill and if the bug to ride something should bite you, you had a pretty solid selection of attractions to choose from, Dominator especially so. I've been able to ride all of the relocated rides in their new homes except for the Beaver Land Mine Ride, so it's been great to see them get new leases on life (even if X-Flight/Firehawk is no more), and at least Thunderhawk got to keep a home on a lake, haha.

I know I didn't grow up with the park like a lot of people, but that was the first of three parks at which I worked and I'll forget that awesome summer or the visits I made the following summer while working at Cedar Point. It's always special to ride the rides that lived on, as well.