What's new

Galveston Pier | "Iron Shark"| Gerstlauer Eurofighter

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't think there's actually a topic for this, I have looked but can't find anything on it:

Galveston Pier, Texas, Are building a brand new Eurofighter, it doesn't look like a layout we've seen before and only has a drop of 100ft.

Gerstlauer Factory:

425787_10151229294295464_671605463_22121248_242286841_n.jpg

430805_285828521482071_177272299004361_823163_135660247_n.jpg

On-Site construction.
423315_308035945927995_177272299004361_875025_362506845_n.jpg

Logo.
418764_290578997673690_177272299004361_834112_804400075_n.jpg

Taken from the Pier's FB page.

Lofty

CF Legend
I thought the same, It's not really like Rage, at all.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5DfExPowA[/youtube]

If you watch the video of the promotion of the pier, you can actually see a sort of about attached. It seems like a really narrow layout. I know it's just a cartoon rendering, but still, looks great!

Tony

Hyper Poster
Here is a video of the layout :

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=289 ... =2&theater

Also from Gerstlauer:
Gerstlauer’s largest North American project will open this year at the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier in Galveston, Texas. Dubbed the “Iron Shark”, Gerstlauer's newest Euro-Fighter will stand 100 feet tall and feature 4 inversions. Siegfried Gerstlauer, who designed the ride, noted that, “It packs a lot of ride in a compact footprint. I believe that riders will be surprised when they fly through this web of steel”.

Instead of using traditional concrete foundations a majority of the ride will rest upon a steel base frame designed and delivered by Gerstlauer. This frame was created to handle hurricane-force winds, but required no penetration into the pier deck, which saved Landry’s considerable construction costs. Another unique feature of the ride is the updated restraints. This will be Gerstlauer’s first eight-passenger Euro-Fighter car to feature lap bars. “Our lap bars worked extremely well 2011’s ‘Dare Devil Dive’ Euro-Fighter and we expect them to be a great fit on ’Iron Shark’”,

Pretty good looking layout even though itt's quite short, but the addition of lapbars will sure make the ride experience that bit better.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Very odd layout, but good on them for going for such a big coaster when they clearly have space issues.

Snoo

The Legend
^Agreed. I like it when Gersty experiments with the layouts of the Fighters.. gives you something a little different for once.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Lofty said:
rollermonkey said:
Yikes. Hope the brakes never fail.

I REALLy hope you're **** joking...

Sigh.

Magnetic brakes can't fail. I'm not an idiot.

The wheels in the station for advancing / stopping the cars sure as hell can.

I was imagining a worst-case scenario.

Especially as it's a straight shot from the loop exit into the station.

Lofty

CF Legend
rollermonkey said:
Magnetic brakes can't fail...

I was imagining a worst-case scenario.

So by saying you're imaging a WCS, you're actually be hypocritical and going back on your words.

I'm not an idiot.

Yes, you've proved that to me.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
..Anyway, what a unique looking layout! However, it could esily have the loop threaded and an extra helix and in-line twist before the brake run!

Liking the name too!

Lofty

CF Legend
^ You do realise the sizing constraints it's got on the piece of the pier that it's located right? They've done very well to fit all this in, as you'll realise, there's only limited room on a pier and the layout is VERY narrow.