What's new

Galaxy Express 999 - is no more :-(

davidm

Strata Poster
Was at Aqua stadium earlier today, went to buy a ticket for Galaxy Express 999 and couldn't see the option on the ticket machine... local staff spotted my confusion and came to help. "Roller Coaster?" I said in my best Japanese; "closed on Friday" she said in much better English.

So it turns out it closed for good 2 days earlier! Ha ha.

I rode it a few years back so was not totally dissappointed but its always a shame when anything interesting ends its life span.

Seems that the whole hotel/site is having a major refit and the coaster doesn't fit in with the future plans. :-(

Some info here;

http://blog.princehotels.co.jp/aquastad ... newal.html

(run it through Google translate, obviously ;-))

TilenB

Strata Poster
Darned, it seemed like a cool ride. At least unique if nothing else... I highly doubt that it will end its way anywhere else than at a local scrapyard (it was custom built for the space, right?).
Your experience kind of reminds me of mine when I tried to get a cred in Lisbon, only to find out it closed 2 months before my visit :D

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It was quirky, but not very good. Is Port of Pirates still there? THAT would be a shame to get rid of.

peep

CF Legend
Aww, that's a shame. I loved their ridiculous length to theme it with multiple pre shows. With Gavin though, they better not be spiting the pirate ship, then tears would be shed.

davidm

Strata Poster
Pirate ship was still running. From what I can make out from their website it mentions the simulator closing at the end of the year as well but nothing about the pirates?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
TilySlo said:
(it was custom built for the space, right?).
Your experience kind of reminds me of mine when I tried to get a cred in Lisbon, only to find out it closed 2 months before my visit :D

Very much so. The 'big' helix circled the dolphin shown tank watched from the level above, and the entire ride apart from the loop was only one (mall-sized) story tall.

I missed the indoor mouse at Escape Theme Park in Singapore by a day. Two girls had been badly hurt on it the day before and it never reopened.

remixedcat

Roller Poster
Wow and I loved that anime!!! They need to relocate it here in the US, keep the GE999 themeing and all otaku would ride it and they would make us anime fans squee!

davidm

Strata Poster
Layout was like this;

Station at the bottom before the turnaround (where you can just see 'Launch Load Position' on that image)

Attachments

• g999.jpg
    g999.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 68