What's new

Futuroscope | Objectif Mars | Intamin spinner

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Futuroscope's manager, Dominique Hummel, has recently announced the construction of a major roller coaster at the park for 2019. The coaster would cost 22 million euros, theming included, which would be the biggest investment of the park for a long while.

Source in French: http://www.centre-presse.fr/article...ttend-pesquet-loeb-et-une-montagne-russe.html

Additional info surfaced on the dedicated Futuroscope fan:

- The coaster's height requirement will be 105 cm or 42 inches
- It will be themed to a space adventure
- Will have both indoor and outdoor sections
- One of the element would be a freefall drop section of track.

Source in French: http://www.forum-futuroscope.net/t829p30-projet-de-coaster-sur-l-espace-au-futuroscope-fin-2019

Very interesting news. Futuroscope has never been coaster-focused. In fact, they only have one roller coaster and it's just a Sunkid Butterfly. But they have a strong financial momentum. I'm very curious how the regular Futuroscope audience will react to this departure from their usual style. It is a fascinating gamble that could well expand the park's reach.

Futuroscope is one of the largest French amusement parks and is located near Poitiers, in the western-ish part of the country. It generally has a 2M visitors attendance.

QGZD46S.jpg

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
Ah, glad to hear they've actually announced this. I remember seeing this rumoured as part of their long term plan years ago. I really like the park and sort of agree that it's a departure from their normal line-up but they've been increasing their ride line up for years. You could argue the room full of robo arms was their first departure into more thrill based attractions.

Honestly excited to see what they're planning. I was thinking of visiting next year but maybe I'll hold off another year.

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
Oh wow this is fantastic news.

I love Futuroscope, so I welcome this announcement. Wait and see now what they actually build, I just hope to god it's not VR!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Really? Hopefully the rest of the budget will go towards some sexy tech (not VR).

Matt N

CF Legend
Really? Hopefully the rest of the budget will go towards some sexy tech (not VR).
I'm sure there will be some sort of fancy theming/tech involved, as I can't see a Gerstlauer spinner on its own costing €22m.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Maybe it's one of those Gerst spinners with inversions? I could see something like the one in Japan with onboard music and some kind of laser show or mapping to enhance the sensation of spinning or speed.

Lofty

CF Legend
Good budget, great opportunity and they choose to build that product. It's like The Wicker Man all over again.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I guess that the park's more aimed at families, rather than the kind of place for a big thrilling coaster? I don't know what the park's like at all really to be honest, but it strikes me as the sort of place which invests in theming and immersion rather than actual hardware.

Matt N

CF Legend
Maybe it's one of those Gerst spinners with inversions? I could see something like the one in Japan with onboard music and some kind of laser show or mapping to enhance the sensation of spinning or speed.
Now that would be amazing! Gekion Live looks like a really good coaster!

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Gonna be called 'Mission Kepler' apparently:
https://rcdb.com/15444.htm
I like it, because I like basically anything space-related.
^ Apart from the fact they have built a Flying Theatre and other excessively expensive hardware?
Yeah true, but Flying Theatre's are still family rides and I guess you don't actually spend that much on the hardware for a family coaster, because they're just not that big. So if the park caters for families, that would explain why they're putting so little of their budget into the actual coaster itself. But like I said, I don't know the park, so I could be talking absolute ****.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Seriously. Wouldn't it have been easier (And no doubt more correct) to go
"Oh I'm sorry I didn't know about the Twist And Turn coasters I'll change the original post"
Done, sorted.

Anyway this should be interesting. Spinning with a Drop Track by the sounds of it? That should be a first right?

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Winjas aside, I believe that would be the first.

As you may know, Intamin actually already showed an animated concept for a New gen Spinner back at EAS 17, with also a Tilt Track element another option:

J0dwi4m.jpg

Nr84SQg.jpg

WcDA6Dz.jpg

(Pics 1 and 2 are from myself, and the last one comes from Kirmes & Park)

Quite curious about how intense this will be. Tornado Bakken is said to be quite the wild spinner, despite its low height. Since this is Futuroscope's first major coaster, I wonder if park management (and CDA operatives further up) chose a milder layout, especially considering the French public is sometimes perceived as unaccustomed when it comes to extreme rides. I understand the layout went several modifications and iterations, which makes me even more curious...