What's new

Future ride projects for Walibi Belgium!

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
A couple of hours after Walibi Belgium opened Pulsar, Belgian podcast 'Ochtend in Pretparkland' had an exclusive interview with Dominique Fallon, management member from Walibi Belgium since 1975, and Jean Christophe Parent, General Manager from the park.

In this interview, both gentleman were asked the question that Pulsar would be the last investment for the following 13 years (it was 13 years ago that a brand new ride opened in Walibi Belgium). Their answers were quite remarkable, as they both stated that Pulsar is number one of several more rides to come up in the near future. For instance, they said that there are a new projects coming up the following two, three years. Keeping in mind that Walibi Holland will open two new rides in 2017 and 2019, it is likely that Walibi Belgium will invest anytime soon. It is rumoured that a successor for Pulsar is planned next or within two years!

Walibi Belgium also wants to be a pioneer in themepark industry by opening other world firsts or unique rides, as Pulsar was, keeping loyal to what they did in their history. Walibi Belgium opened the first Vekoma-rollercoaster and coaster with inversions in Europe, first European launch coaster, highest and fastest ride in Europe (Dalton Terror in 1997), first European Mine Train,...

As both men stated: "We can conclude one thing: Walibi Belgium is back in the game!"

TilenB

Strata Poster
...and they were the first ones (and the only ones) that thought ski lifts have a roller coaster potential.

But otherwise, that's nice news, hopefully we can see another good ride coming in. :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Good. Several years ago, the park's under the Compagnie des Alpes (CdA) umbrella looked bleak and, I think, last year they promised investment. And I laughed. This years investment at Walibi Holland and Belgium was obviously a statement that they're keeping to their word. Ok, so they've not set the world alight but it's good for CdA. I see them like they're taking their first steps after being injured in a car crash - one step at a time.

I've been lucky enough to meet some of the CdA management and they do come across as enthusiastic people who want the best for the park, not their careers. Maybe that's filtering down to us as the end user? I'm glad they're confident they're back in the game. I hope they can put their limited money where their mouth it.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
TilenB said:
...and they were the first ones (and the only ones) that thought ski lifts have a roller coaster potential.

But otherwise, that's nice news, hopefully we can see another good ride coming in. :)

Vertigo wasn't a choice made by Walibi Belgium. When StarParks was running the former Six Flags parks, Walibi Belgium was their best running park, having 1.350.000 visitors. As some sort of 'reward', StarParks set up the plan to give them Vertigo, which was offered to Bill Muirhead, CEO from Six Flags Europe/StarParks by 3DBA, distributor for the Mountain Glider for Doppelmayr . Walibi Belgium had no choice than accept the ride. I remember that the park was happy with them getting a new ride, yet they were furious for non-stop problems with the ride. After the ride opened and the ride was not able to run without any problems, Walibi Belgium required three demands: the ride had to operate on a normal base, had to be reliable and not to expensive in maintenance. Doppelmayr couldn't live up to these demands and Walibi Belgium asked them to remove the ride during the next winter.

Walibi Belgium also said they have been very satisfied cooperating with Mack Rides and they will work together more in the future. Mack Mega Coaster? Yes please!