What's new

Free entry to Alton Towers for people with flashy phones!

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
[url=http://www.altontowers.com/events-and-info/facebook-deals/:s18y4iyp]Alton Towers (click for source)[/url] said:
Enter the Alton Towers Theme Park with up to three friends completely free on 18 February 2011!
On Friday 18th February, the Alton Towers Theme Park will open a day earlier than planned for the Half Term holiday, offering exclusive use for anyone who checks in on that day only.

Located in Staffordshire, the UK’s number one theme park will offer a selection of its iconic rides and attractions, including the twists and turns of Nemesis, the intense vertical drop of Oblivion and a range of family favourites, completely free!

To take advantage of free entry to the Alton Towers theme park, visit on Friday 18th February from 10am until 4pm and use Places on touch.facebook.com or Facebook for iPhone to check-in and receive your free tickets!

Stay over for free too - but be quick!
The first 100 to check in will also receive a free one night stay in one of the fantastically themed Resort Hotels - located on the doorstep of the action! After an exhilarating day, relax with a stay in the unique Alton Towers Hotel or the fun-filled Caribbean-themed Splash Landings Hotel.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
This is a nice piece of marketing. To get the free entry, you basically have to tell the world you're at AT. You're doing the advertising for them.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
marc said:
All well and good but cannot get 3G at Alton lol.

Whilst this is probably dependant on your network the amount of 3G possible at the Towers, they said that they'll be setting up a Wi-Fi point at the park for the day...

Expect that to break down due to the wealth of people using it...

Enicomb

Mega Poster
And if you're not lucky enough to get free tickets, you'll pay to get in, which you would as you'd already have travelled there. I can only see this as win for AT.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Altough it's free entry, not all the rides a open so if I do go, I will be taken out of school still not being able to get on Thirteen. :(

T0M

Hyper Poster
Can't get time off work but I think you'd be daft not to, especially if you live close by. Please report back how busy it was!

Brookes

Giga Poster
Did anybody get to this? By the sheer amount of confusion on the Alton Towers facebook page last night, seems like it was more trouble that it was worth.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I didn't go on the facebook, but it actually ran very smoothly. Attendants on the monorail-replacement bus gave out full details and killed off any doubts about checking in, also offered a chace to ask any questions before actually getting to the park entrance. Getting tickets ran smoothly too, with berly any queues to the booths.

It wasn't busy, but as only a small number of rides were open, a few queues were bigger than expected, but they operations were really impressive especially on Oblivion, which only had half the station running, and even with the queue looking fairly look, we only waited 15 minutes.

The biggest annoyance was Air breaking down a lot and taking-off trains/putting them back on, it even ran with 1 train at one point, which seriously slowed things. But all-in-all it was a great day to have for free! I'd be happy if they did it again, maybe with Rita/Thirteen open perhaps. The staff were also surprisingly perky considering the cold weather!

Ollie

CF Legend
I don't see why it's so confusing.
Use the facebook app to 'check-in' while you're by the gates of Alton Towers and it'll load a page which you show to get you and 3 friends in for free.

Also I was saying to Maddie that I don't think it would be too busy today as everyone has school/college/uni/work to go to on a Friday.