What's new

Frankie Boyle, Comedy genius or Rude, ignorant idiot?

Frankie Boyle and his extreme material

• Yup, seen it and love it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, heard of it, not a huge fan but not offended/wanting it banned

• Seen it, hated it and agree it should be banned

• I hate Frankie Boyle and infact all forms of humour except crap American sitcoms and Roller Coaster

• Total voters

Sam

Giga Poster
Firstly, I had a really witty title for this topic made up but you can only put a certain amount letters in the title which ****ing ruined my plans. I would like to please raise this complaint with the CoasterForce management team, thank you.

Now then,

Before you answer this I implore you to watch Frankie Boyles latest DVD 'If I Could Reach Out Through Your TV and Strangle You I Would'. If you are not a fan of standup or even if you don't think you like Frankie Boyle then I still suggest you watch it.... it's ****ing hilarious. That is obviously my point of view (and the view of anyone else with a sense of humour that I know has seen it) but even if you don't really enjoy it, it is a showing of what is probably the most 'extreme' comedian in the spotlight at the moment.

It is, pretty outrageous stuff, there's stuff in there that even I put my hand over my mouth at whilst thinking "how the **** can he possibly get away with saying that"....

It has had many people complaining about it and critisising it, the latest being Katie Price aka Jordan http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=katie+ ... =firefox-a - a list of different newspapers analysis of the whole situation. Basically, Boyle made a few jokes about Jordan's son Harvey, one of which suggested he sexually abuses her which have pissed her and the Daily Mail brigage off and they are complaining to the high heavens.

Below is a quote from The Mail:

'I (Katie Price about her son Harvey) love him and am deeply proud to be his mother. If Mr Boyle had a tenth of his courage and decency he would know that to suggest, let alone think funny, that Harvey may sexually attack me is vile and deeply unfair.'

In my opinion it's all hilarious, I think this kind of humour/comedian is hilarious, I don't laugh out loud at stuff like Lee Evans or Michael Macintyre (who I will admit are both very good, just not laugh out loud stuff) whereas Frankie Boyle is.

So what are your views? Is over the top extreme on the edge material like Frankie Boyle acceptable? Or should it be banned as what seems a fair few people are gunning for....

nealbie

CF Legend
Now, I love racism and controversy as much as (if not more so) than the next man. But Frankie Boyle's just not funny.

He's been doing the same routine and jokes for years, merely changing the names of the people depending on who's popular atm.

Al Murray's Pub Landlord is the one that gets this brand of humour spot on. As at the same time as being highly offensive it's also sarcastically and satirically hilarious! Boyle just throws in swear words and outrageous comments in an attempt to go for the 'well we're all thinking it, I'm the only one with the balls to say it' angle.

He amused on Mock the Week, his stand-up is, as previously noted, poor and ridiculously recycled.

I don't think it should be banned; but nor is it funny. So I spit on your poll options. :p

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I hate the man himself, but I like his humour. I usually prefer the controversial type of humour so that's probably why I find his jokes so funny.

But Michael Mcintyre is still my favourite comedian.

nealbie

CF Legend
Really? That comment made me do a sick in my face and I just had the unstoppable URGE to tell you! :p

spicy

Giga Poster
I think Frankie Boyles hilarious and was by far the funniest when he was on Mock the Week. I agree with Neal though he does repeat alot of his jokes, on his last stand up dvd alot of the jokes I had heard before on Mock the Week but still as funny second time around.

Although it has to be said his new series Frankie Boyles Tramadol Nights has to be the biggest load of bollocks I have ever had the displeasure to sit through.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Shock humour is only funny for a very small amount of time.

The more shocking it gets, the less funny it becomes.

Not a fan.

Dave

CF Legend
He was refreshing when he first was around but the humour has become more personal and harsh. Then its down to where you draw the line. I've drawn my line and find him unfunny.

Ollie

CF Legend
I dislike him and don't find him funny at all. I like dark humour and controversial stuff but Frankie Boyle just isn't funny. Anyone can just stand up and swear, insult and bully people.
If you like it then fair enough. But I just don't find Frankie even the slightest but funny even though I usually find dark humour and stuff hilarious.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I have said this before, but I'll repeat myself.

If you're at his gig, its probably hilarious, but watching him recorded isn't. He just comes across as being a dick. I have no problem with his comedy other than that it isn't funny.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
He's brilliant for a show like MTW, but on a single show by himself it wears thin. The shock factor goes after a while as you become used to it.

Ether way, he says what we are all thinking/ what we want to hear and then blows it up to a new level. Thats what makes it funny. But it works only in short bursts for me.

Ben

CF Legend
I LOVED him on Mock the Week, but, I've never seen any of his stand-up.

And you want to talk about people repeating jokes, Micheal McIntyre is the WORST for that.

So, I literally don't know. I just wanted to piss on the McIntyre bonfire a little bit, he's gotten terrible.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I would prefer it if Boyle kept his offensive digs as really good one-liners, and just do some regular stand-up stuff inbetween. However, he just deals out insult after insult and it eventually wears thin. I think it would work a lot better if they were thinner on the ground.

jayjay

Giga Poster
He's alright. I don't like it when he's shocking but not funny. I always think, if you make an offensive joke, you absolutely must make it funny. In fact, I think some of Frankie's best moments come from when he's not being very offensive. One of my favourite Frankie jokes was the "EXTERMINATE DAFFODILLS!" one for "things you wouldn't hear on Dr Who."

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
nealbie said:
Now, I love racism and controversy as much as (if not more so) than the next man. But Frankie Boyle's just not funny.

He's been doing the same routine and jokes for years, merely changing the names of the people depending on who's popular atm.

Al Murray's Pub Landlord is the one that gets this brand of humour spot on. As at the same time as being highly offensive it's also sarcastically and satirically hilarious! Boyle just throws in swear words and outrageous comments in an attempt to go for the 'well we're all thinking it, I'm the only one with the balls to say it' angle.

He amused on Mock the Week, his stand-up is, as previously noted, poor and ridiculously recycled.

I don't think it should be banned; but nor is it funny. So I spit on your poll options. :p

Couldn't agree more. Frankie Boyle is to wit what Kim Jong-Il is to world peace. I'm sure it has it's possibilities, but gets lost in the bile. Someone like Charlie Brooker can get away with nasty humour, because it is wrapped in dark intelligence, Frankie Boyle on the other hand
is just Chubby Brown for the Comedy roadshow generation.

Frankie Boyle just appeals to the same masochistic 'British love to be abused' streak that Simon Cowell has built his career on.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A-Kid said:
The shock factor goes after a while as you become used to it.

Pretty much this.

I love poor-taste humour. As far as I'm concerned, there's basically nothing off limits. However, that kind of humour always works best in small doses in a forum where it is considered a bit controversial: the occasional "can he say that on TV" moment on Mock the Week or in a TV interview for example.

When you pay to see the live show, or buy the DVD, it's on the promise that it will be more extreme than can be gotten away with on TV. Sounds Great! However, when you're subjected to 90 minutes of it, it starts to wear really thin and you can start to see through it; it's really not that funny once you've stopped being shocked by it.

kimahri

CF Legend
I've not really heard of him enought to have an oppinion on whether it's funny or not I think I can say that I'm not really all that bothered about what he's said. This is probably due to 4chan and the internet but It's really not all that shocking or what ever.

Hell at work he have a couple of clients at work that are being done for sexual assault and stuff have mental disability's It's not like it doesn't happen and stuff.

Meh?

RJM

Roller Poster
Got the DVD, I love it. It's difficult to say whether it's too offensive or not because where can you draw the line with offensive material? But yeah, as far as I'm concerned Frankie Boyle is great.