What's new

Four New Coasters for Cedar Fair Opening 2018

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
There's been a recent announcement from Cedar Fair that they'll be opening four new coasters in 2018.

They've said there will be "a dramatic transformation of two of our historical wooden coasters," "a completely new type of coaster," and "a renewed relationship with a manufacturer that we haven't worked with in recent history."

We know by now what those first two will be (Mean Streak and Hurler), but care to speculate on the latter two? The "completely new type of coaster" is the one that really gets the imagination firing.

Last edited:

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I'd imagine the last would be an intamin, I'm no cedar fair expert but didn't they used to be a go to manufacturer until a few reliability issues occurred? As for the other an RMC raptor or T. rex is a reasonable assumption given hurler and mean streak.

Hutch

Strata Poster
That's pretty exciting. Wasn't expecting anything more than the RMC hybrids for next year, but that's nice that they're planning to dish out more than 1-2 coasters a year. The T-Rex or Raptor model might be the "completely new type of coaster," atm can't really think of anything else that we could expect from that statement. Hoping that the old manufacture relationship is Intamin, because Intamin is awesome and some of their newest coasters look amazing.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I'd imagine the last would be an intamin, I'm no cedar fair expert but didn't they used to be a go to manufacturer until a few reliability issues occurred? As for the other an RMC raptor or T. rex is a reasonable assumption given hurler and mean streak.
Yes, there has already been a fair amount of speculation that the "completely new" coaster would be an RMC Raptor at Knott's, where the Boomerang coaster was. That's a really exciting prospect for me (I visit L.A. twice a year, so that would be an easy cred for me), but the footprint of the old Boomerang is rather small and narrow. They could perhaps tear out the building that borders the rear side of the space and then perhaps have the ride veer off in and around other areas/rides, like Xcelerator, but I remain skeptical -- hopeful but skeptical.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Yes, there has already been a fair amount of speculation that the "completely new" coaster would be an RMC Raptor at Knott's, where the Boomerang coaster was. That's a really exciting prospect for me (I visit L.A. twice a year, so that would be an easy cred for me), but the footprint of the old Boomerang is rather small and narrow. They could perhaps tear out the building that borders the rear side of the space and then perhaps have the ride veer off in and around other areas/rides, like Xcelerator, but I remain skeptical -- hopeful but skeptical.
It also might be a smoother Boomerang :p

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I don't know much about CF parks but could it be Vekoma?
I'm not sure if this is a joke (Vekoma's bad reputation) or serious (Vekoma's much improved), but the Boomerang that was just ripped out of Knott's was a Vekoma, and if that's one of the spots that may be getting a new coaster, it seems at least slightly odd that they'd choose to hype the manufacturer.

ASteelersMidget

Roller Poster
It says "a completely new type of coaster" but while it's assumed to mean a coaster type never seen, it's not clear that it couldn't just be a type of coaster never seen at a cedar fair park. Just something to think about.

Canada's Wonderland has been rumored to get another coaster in 2018 too.

IG9887

Roller Poster
Just gonna put this out there as a crazy theory and hear me out on this, but didn't Cedar Fair work with MACK not that far ago for a couple of smaller family rides (particularly looking at KNOTTS in this case, but there are others)? Could I be possible, just in the slightest, that KBF will get a Mack DIVE COASTER using the BigDipper trains or get a Lost Gravity kinda ride? Just sayin...

BigBad

Mega Poster
If it's correct that Cedar Fair has worked with Mack for smaller rides, then they're my guess for that manufacturer to deepen the pool. I just can't see Intamin fitting the criteria. They haven't worked together since I305 in 2010, right?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'm pretty certain that KBF is getting a Mack or Intamin hyper. They've gone family for 10 straight years.

I'd love Worlds of Fun to be that fourth park, but I highly doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edward M

Strata Poster
Actually, KBF worked with Mack Rides in 2013 for Coast Rider. That may be too soon for them to have "not worked in recent history." I really do hope I'm wrong though because I would love a Mack launched or hyper coaster so so much. I would also love an Intamin coaster though, and the 2010 I305 falls into the "not recent history" a bit better than Mack. My bet would be a Mack or Intamin Hyper at CA's Great America, and RMC getting the RMC Raptor/T-Rex. However, I may say a Mack is more likely simply because they've had so much trouble with Intamin.

Either way, it seems like a win for a Cedar Fair park.

EDIT: Just realized that CA's Great America's plan includes a water coaster. It is possible that they could be getting a Mack water coaster next year. Just thought it was worth a mention.
Photo of proposed plan below

Expansion-map.jpg

Last edited:

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The Raptor is going to Silverwood. Not Cedar Fair. This year at least...

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
There's some (pretty loose) speculation that CGA is getting CP's Wicked Twister next (based on some of the descriptions used in CGA's zoning requests). If this turns out to be true, CGA would be out of the picture as I doubt they'd get two in one year (and this would not count as one of the four coasters as it's not new to Cedar Fair). Seems like pure conjecture there, though.

I do think Worlds of Fun has some kind of shot at being one of the four recipient parks.

I don't see how there's room for an Intamin hyper at Knott's. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
2006 there were blueprints floating around that had a turning drop around Sky Cabin, racing out to the edge of the park, over Bigfoot rapids, and coming back. Original station is where Iron Reef is now, so obviously it won't happen, but it's possible. Silver Bullet makes no sense where it is, but it works as a lot is over pathways. Just like what this hyper would be.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
2006 there were blueprints floating around that had a turning drop around Sky Cabin, racing out to the edge of the park, over Bigfoot rapids, and coming back. Original station is where Iron Reef is now, so obviously it won't happen, but it's possible. Silver Bullet makes no sense where it is, but it works as a lot is over pathways. Just like what this hyper would be.

Yeah, as I was saying about the possibility of an RMC Raptor at Knott's, an Intamin hyper only seems possible if it's quite entangled with other rides.

It would be fantastic if they could pull it off.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Has S&S put anything in a Cedar Fair park in 'recent history'? The only thing I can think of are the towers, which would have been late 90's/early 00s. An S&S Free Fly, perhaps?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It's been a while since Cedar Fair has worked with Reverchon or Pinfari, hasn't it? If you consider relocations, even defunct manufacturers aren't completely out of the picture. Arrow loopers, anybody?