What's new

Forth Times the Charm - Energylandia June 2022

James F

Hyper Poster
It was January 2020 when I had booked to go to the one park every enthusiast was migrating to. A 200ft+ RMC and an Intamin Hyper in a European park? too good to pass up and then that *thing* happened, time had passed and then in October the thing struck again. I thought to myself, third times the charm and almost October 2021, before realising the park is only open weekends and I couldn't get the time off work. Well S🤬t.

I had almost given up hope and I had even booked Belgium in April so I could ride something of substance, with the inevitability that my Poland trip would be cancelled due to the ongoing war in the Ukraine and then the months got closer and closer and somehow, someway I found myself on the plane to Krakow.

The slight bummer was that Legendia was closed during my trip, so no Lech for Jimmy. Oh well, there is a reason to go back I guess.

How was Energylandia?

A mixed bag.

A very mixed bag.

To summarise some of my main points I have created a bingo card.

Energylandia Bingo​
"Vekoma's, Vekoma's everywhere""Zadra's Zero G Stall OMG!""Hyperion's Hills of Death OMG!""Tackiness""Smooth SLC?!"
"Queue Jumping...""Abyssus is solid, but not elite..""Zadra has a 10 mile queue line""Intamin water coasters are weird""Not much shade"
"Quick operations""Lots of gift shops, selling tack""Hyperion's pointless feeling queue""Strange boarding process""Awesome 1-2 punch"
"Formula is underrated and fun""2 Jr Boomarangs?!""Annoying, but catchy theme song""Extended opening hours""The Back of the park is more pretty."
"No single rider, until the end of the queue.""Queue lines are too wide""I saw construction work taking place on the new coaster(s)""only adding a second train an hour into a busy day""Mostly kiddie creds"

I have absolutely nothing to add to the Engerylandia discussion.

I am too late to the party. It's been and gone and everyone involved has already been fined.

So I am just going to use this opportunity to crush over Hyperion and Zadra and repeat what has already been said a 1000x over.

20220614_093716.jpg
I had two days on park, which was good thinking as today happened to be a school trip day. I have only got myself to blame on this one, I should have done more research.

20220614_102112.jpg
The First order of business ... ZADRA!

- Awesome coaster, as expected. My first RMC and despite all the hype it didn't disappoint. I gave my long legs a workout as I speed walked over to this beast on opening. My first ride was in the back row and my second was towards the front. Similar to Kondaa this hybrid monster warms up quick and my second ride of the day already felt more aggressive as I received the iconic "RMC shin bruise". I wasn't sure where to rank it initially, but I already knew it was a for sure top 5 contender. The First drop, the zero-G stall, the outward bank, airtime hill and final inversion all made for a perfect coaster. The way all those elements are sequenced together 👌*chefs kiss*

20220614_102138.jpg
Twisty goodness
20220614_102141.jpg
Headchopper.

20220614_105032.jpg
My second of many coasters here was "Abyssus"

This also happened to be my #160 credit, which is no real milestone number, but it's a nice round figure innit?

I had muted expectations of this ride as other enthusiasts I have met told me it was an average ride. A solid coaster, but not matching the levels of hype that it was given by the community.

I agree.

On my first ride it did seem a little underwhelming even with the opinions I had heard. Don't get me wrong it's a really fun and enjoyable coaster, but I didn't come off it thinking that Vekoma were the new gods of the industry.

As you would expect it's smooth (except for the rattle after the main drop). The inversions are well executed, even if the aren't as intense as on other coasters. It has great pacing and I found the trains to be comfortable even with the vest restraints. I think Vekoma and Energylandia have a great ride in Abyssus even if it's not what some of us had hoped for.

I am sounding a little negative here, but I actually think it's a great ride.

20220614_110722.jpg
Loop-de-loop.
20220614_110726.jpg
Arr missed it! - This hill/turn is the highlight for me. An fairly aggressive pop of air I wasn't ready for.

20220614_111750.jpg
Up next it was the first of two Jr Boomerangs I would be experiencing. "Light Explores"
20220614_174955.jpg
Not very thrilling, but I like the setting with most of track being over the water.

20220614_120427.jpg
Time to feed my curiosity with "Mayan: The Smooth SLC?!".

It was indeed, very smooth for an SLC. :eek: There was some shuffling, but it was still an enjoyable ride.

However it was during my 35 minute wait when I first noticed the bad habit of queue jumping at this park. The queues are waaay to wide, so it only encourages people to walk in front of you. Now I could live with that, but the real problem is how someone in a group would be towards the front of the queue and they would have the rest of there party just cut in front of everyone else to meet up with them.

It was the typical "Dave!! Dave is that you?!!" technique and it was grinding my gears.

20220615_161853.jpg
The more modern trackwork and newer trains transform a regretful experience into a fun one. Shocker. Now can Infusion finally get some new trains? pretty please?

20220614_125553.jpg
Boomerang is the parks original Jr boomerang and it rides how you expect. It's fine, good for it's market.

20220614_131654.jpg
Holy Cow! this thing is big. You can see it for miles outside of the park.

Hyperion for me was secondary to Zadra when it came to what I was most excited for. The consensuses is that Zadra is the king and Hyperion is it's fun; not to be taken as seriously brother.

I knew it was going to be great, but hearing about it's rattle and looking at the layout itself, my expectations were that it would rank around the 7-10 mark for me.

I had experienced Kondaa earlier this year and loved it, but I felt like that was mostly due to the varied layout and looking at Hyperion, it just didn't have those qualities.

After waiting 30 minutes in a questionable queue line and trying to make my way through the somewhat confusing boarding process. I took my seat on the 6th row and I started to feel apprehensive.

What if this coaster is ruined by it's roughness? what if going on Kondaa has spoiled the experience? It was as if I was wanting the experience to be over, just so I knew what to expect.

Then the first drop came.

Whaaaat?! This can't be real can it? how is this reality? I feel like I am standing up on a hyper coaster. Where the hell is my seat? I feel like it's back in Manchester.

I fly under the tunnel and the positive G's hit and before I even have time to think I am launched out of my seat again as the train crests the first hill.

Then the dive drop came. The Dive Drop. Oh Lord the dive drop. Sweet Mary Berry the dive drop. My body was suddenly contorted 180° and felt the most bizarre sideways airtime I have ever experienced.

The following little dip gave a cute pop of air and then it came into it's second airtime hill which I have dubbed as "The Intermission hill" as it's so much calmer than the rest of ride and while I get why this element disappoints people, personally I was grateful for it.

The Over-banked curve gives a great sense of speed and the finale few elements are just pure Intamin magic.

I came off with a certain buzz I had not felt since I rode Karnan. This had already made it to my number 2 after just one ride.

20220614_135718.jpg
This is the odd loading system the park uses, the screens above count how many people can make it through the turnstiles to board the train.

It is split up into three separate queues, one for the front row, one for single riders and one for everyone else, except I don't think people understand the concept of single rider as that queue is equally as busy and it will still let on 6 people through that line each cycle.

It keeps the queue moving I guess, but I just found it a bit odd.

20220614_132433.jpg
Ejector.
20220614_093720.jpg
The Drop of Doom.
20220614_140647.jpg
Feel the need. The need for G's.

20220614_142147.jpg
Energuś aka The fruity kiddie coaster. One of many +1 and done coasters here.

20220614_144320.jpg
Speed is my first Intamin Water Coaster. It's different, I'll give it that.

Smoother than the older Mack models, the 160ft drop doesn't do much, but the ride does get you soaked, even if your sat in the middle of the boat like me.

20220614_151914.jpg
Up next was Formula. The coaster that truly kicked off the Vekoma renaissance. It's a great ride for it's smaller size and tight footprint.

The launch is quite punchy and the sidewinder delivers some decent hangtime if you sat towards the back. There are two quality airtime moments and the corkscrews are fairly whippy.

It's been said many times over, but one of these would do wonders at Drayton Manor.

20220614_152052.jpg
corkscrew-ing.
20220614_153305.jpg
Such fun.
20220614_155513.jpg
I spy a pop of airtime.

20220614_160507.jpg
"GRRR .. You better be glad this tree's in the way!"
20220614_163246.jpg
I am really upping my Vekoma count on this trip. Dragon is the first ones of these I have done and I can say that it's a solid coaster model. Quite thrilling for adults, but tame enough for younger kids.

20220614_164041.jpg
The "Dragon Zone" is really quite impressive.

20220615_101447.jpg
The trains were out on Choco Chip Creek, it wasn't testing round the circuit during my visit, but was interesting to see the train loaded with test dummies.

20220615_103502.jpg

The Wonder Wheel is almost ready, the queue line have been paved and the cabins are stored behind Zadra's station.

- Remaining coasters

I didn't see the point in reviewing the rest of the coasters as there are all kiddie coasters which ride like you expect them too. The only exception is ...

20220615_154710.jpg
Viking Coaster.

I didn't even bother taking a proper picture of it because it's not worth it. Everyone who has ridden this has the same universal opinion. It's trash. Just horrid.

Attachments

• 20220615_133607.jpg
    20220615_133607.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
20220615_112634.jpg
20220615_112705.jpg
After getting on more re-rides; Abyssus definitely improved. While I wouldn't put it in my top 10, it is certainly a stand out coaster in my view and makes for my top 15.

20220615_121112.jpg20220614_174850.jpgZadra was riding even more relentless later on and it made it's way to third place in my rankings, beating out Karnan.

20220614_201245.jpg
20220614_201216.jpg
I ended my two day trip with a final ride on Hyperion. Which is now my new number 1! after the usual internal debating, Hyperion won over Helix. The power of this coaster is what won it over for me. I don't think I have come of something where I was confused by just how good it was.

20220614_202955.jpg
Is there a better sight than a McDonald's and an Intamin hyper?

20220615_094625.jpg
Alas, here is the proof that I have actually been here.

Overall Energylandia is a "good" park with two outstanding coasters, another two great ones and a whole lot of filler.

The operations are good, but I wish they would enforce anti queue jumping.

I would come back here, but not in a heartbeat as I prefer the more complete experience at parks like Europa, however the top two coasters were worth it so I can see why @Nicky Borrill loves it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You see? I told you this report would add absolutely nothing.