What's new

Folding@Home

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've been meaning to try this for a while, actually. Consider me inspired enough to give it a shot tonight.

Maybe we should start a CF Team... :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Consider the team created! https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/265545

Joining is pretty easy, just enter 265545 into the team ID under Configure->Identity. If you're booting into the Folding@Home app for the first time, you can enter the Team ID at the login screen as well.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Wow, pretty sure I participated in this with my PS3 way back when... gotta be what, 2007? Or am I getting it mixed up with something else?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Wow, pretty sure I participated in this with my PS3 way back when... gotta be what, 2007? Or am I getting it mixed up with something else?
Nope, exact same thing! Sadly PS3 doesn't support any more, but same software, which you can run passively in the background. I usually run in "light" mode while gaming.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Nope, exact same thing! Sadly PS3 doesn't support any more, but same software, which you can run passively in the background. I usually run in "light" mode while gaming.
What are the network requirements like? I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with a GTX 1660 that I’ve managed to play on all of twice in the last 2 weeks... (We’re renovating the beer garden in anticipation of that being our main trading area with the bulk of our capacity when we reopen.) But our internet out in the countryside is SHOCKING.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
What are the network requirements like? I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with a GTX 1660 that I’ve managed to play on all of twice in the last 2 weeks... (We’re renovating the beer garden in anticipation of that being our main trading area with the bulk of our capacity when we reopen.) But our internet out in the countryside is SHOCKING.
That’s a great set up! Networking is minimal - each work unit appears to be ~ 30 megabytes; this isn’t a high speed internet-type-of-operation. Well worth giving it a go, especially with such a powerful computer!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
That’s a great set up! Networking is minimal - each work unit appears to be ~ 30 megabytes; this isn’t a high speed internet-type-of-operation. Well worth giving it a go, especially with such a powerful computer!
Thanks I got it mainly for Planet Coaster ??

Ok so my connection should be fine then, it peaks around 16 Mb, I’ll go get set up.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Grrr Bloody bullguard just binned 2 components ?? So gonna try again...

UPDATE: got it working again, but now my points per day is much lower... never mind, at least it’s contributing to a great cause.

FFDFC442-D5D8-4CB3-AEB8-26284AE18AA5.jpeg

E1272C88-0BA2-49B9-A194-71EDAC00347E.jpeg

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You'll see the estimated points per day and work time will jump up once the work gets churning. It's totally a matter of letting your computer and workload settle in, and it will update it's estimation.

My work is cut out @Nicky Borrill! I personally am sporting a Ryzen 5 2600x and Vega 56, so a bit behind you spec wise. ;)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
You'll see the estimated points per day and work time will jump up once the work gets churning. It's totally a matter of letting your computer and workload settle in, and it will update it's estimation.

My work is cut out @Nicky Borrill! I personally am sporting a Ryzen 5 2600x and Vega 56, so a bit behind you spec wise. ;)
Yeh it went back up since... Did I read that the points are weighted against your specs?

It’s totally not about points... But already I’m like “must earn more!!!” Wondering how to go about setting the Macbook Pro up to run at the same time on the same account ??

Edited to add... We could break into the top 10% of teams very soon... So quick!

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeh it went back up since... Did I read that the points are weighted against your specs?

It’s totally not about points... But already I’m like “must earn more!!!” Wondering how to go about setting the Macbook Pro up to run at the same time on the same account ??

Edited to add... We could break into the top 10% of teams very soon... So quick!
The gamification is working. :p

I actually do have a Macbook Pro that is folding as well - emphasis on "Light" so it doesn't take flight with the fans running at full RPM lol

I do know there's a consideration of points and awarding workunits to higher specced computers/computers that complete tasks quickly. Haven't read up as much on that, but there's a great folding community out there with lots of articles.

Personally, I'll be leaving on vacation for the Memorial Day weekend, and will leave the computer folding... and hosting a new Open RCT server :p

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The gamification is working. :p

I actually do have a Macbook Pro that is folding as well - emphasis on "Light" so it doesn't take flight with the fans running at full RPM lol

I do know there's a consideration of points and awarding workunits to higher specced computers/computers that complete tasks quickly. Haven't read up as much on that, but there's a great folding community out there with lots of articles.

Personally, I'll be leaving on vacation for the Memorial Day weekend, and will leave the computer folding... and hosting a new Open RCT server :p
Wow... Think I’m gonna switch down to Medium... Processor temp was 87c, Max is 95c ??? I am only using the bundled processor cooker (that was typo, but I’m leaving it as it’s fitting) though, need to get round to upgrading that.

How does it know you’re you, on your second system, without an actual account system to log in to? Does it just go on Username entered?

I found the folding crypto currency earlier, seems you can earn while folding, quite what that currency is worth when traded though I have zero clue.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It's a program you can run on your computer, which takes a little chunk of medical research to calculate, and then sent back to be stitched alongside other research calculations. Essentially a way to crowdsource a supercomputer, using hundreds of thousands of personal computers instead. :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
How come your WU's are so much more valuable than mine/Nicky's?

You're hitting about 42000 points/unit, whereas we're down at like 6000-7000. :p

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I
How come your WU's are so much more valuable than mine/Nicky's?

You're hitting about 42000 points/unit, whereas we're down at like 6000-7000. :p
He will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think it’s trust based... The more active you are, for the longer period, and with the higher completion ratio, the more you’re trusted... Not only do you get bonus points then, but you also get served bigger blocks :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah I tried to look it up but I don't find their FAQ particularly easy to navigate (e.g. the "power slider" FAQ doesn't appear in the menu if I navigate from their home page, but I can get to it from a Google search?).

I resent not being considered trustworthy, mind... :p

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yeah I tried to look it up but I don't find their FAQ particularly easy to navigate (e.g. the "power slider" FAQ doesn't appear in the menu if I navigate from their home page, but I can get to it from a Google search?).

I resent not being considered trustworthy, mind... :p

Have you seen this page? It’s as clear as mud, but may help...

Seems benchmarking is a factor too...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, did see that, read it once and realised I didn't really care enough to read it a second time to understand it. :p