What's new

Fly Outta Here - NL2 Comp - Results Pg 4

Snow

Roller Poster
Re: Fly Outta Here NL2 Comp

I've got nothing to enter unfortunately. Had lots of ideas but couldn't construct them well enough.

jay37415

Mega Poster

is anyone else having problems with NL2 freezing up when trying to load some coasters?

I tried to get my votes in last night. will try again when I get off of work.

Snow

Roller Poster

^not really, just having serious lag on some coasters (specifically the one with all the custom buildings) and I'd expect it to run better

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I can only assume it might be that your PC spec isn't up to it? Mine usually holds around 100fps on simple coasters, but was dropping to like 50fps on some of the busy ones.

It's probably not helped by some of the tracks not being packaged up properly, so NL2 starts throwing errors as it can't find the scenery files. That possibly didn't help things if your memory was already struggling.

I'm only hypothesising mind...

Snow

Roller Poster

Hixee said:
I can only assume it might be that your PC spec isn't up to it? Mine usually holds around 100fps on simple coasters, but was dropping to like 50fps on some of the busy ones.

It's probably not helped by some of the tracks not being packaged up properly, so NL2 starts throwing errors as it can't find the scenery files. That possibly didn't help things if your memory was already struggling.

I'm only hypothesising mind...

I have an overclocked i7 950, HD 7950 and 12GB of RAM, and this is pretty much the only thing I have trouble running. I also get around 100 with the simple coasters, but the Columbia Flyer (I think it's called that) with all the custom scenery brought it down to 20 or below. The other entries usually stay above 30. Ironically, my old graphics card seemed to run NL just as well despite being much older and slower.

And to be fair, I should probably try turning down the graphics settings, I have them on max.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Congratulations to all those entered! This was a fantastic round and we have some great coasters included. The Top 2 were clear cut above the rest and there was a slight margin of victory, as well as a tie!Instead of averaging the scores, I just added them all up, as it ends up being the same. Before I ramble more...onto the rankings!

6. Dawn of Justice-Jay: 52 Points

This was truly a fantastic idea, just poorly executed. It seemed there was too much of an effort to hit the length limit.

4t. Mammoth-Colossus: 59 Points

The first inversion! If it weren't for that, it would have been a point up in my opinion, and it wouldn't be a tie. Other than that, it was quite unique, just missing on execution. Great ideas.

4t. Soaring over the Sky-Hixee: 59 points

I personally loved this, but others not so much. It felt real to me. Flowed wonderfully, the first inversions were odd, but enjoyable.

3. Horis-Error: 65 Points

In his return to the comps, he is back at 3! A very unique flyer, felt more dutchman to me, with quite a few pumps, but an overall fantastic design.

2. Sentinel-Tomahawk: 79.5 Points

I thought I was going to win my third in a row. I was convinced, but didn't happen. So that leaves...

1. Columbia-Antinos: 81 Points

Absolutely fantastic coaster. Only issue may have been the briefness of the launch, but beautiful with the theming. When we return for Phase 3 we may need to scale it down significantly with the scenery, but time will tell.

Scorecard

Fantastic job, and next contest will be up in the next 24 hours.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Looks like a fab round! Now with school being(almost) over, I think I might actually be able to participate in the next one.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This was a great round. Like, even the losing entry is leagues better than some of the losing entries we've had in the past. This shows really promising progression by everyone!

Brilliant!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's probably worth mentioning that anyone can vote on the coasters! Don't feel like you're not allowed to vote because you didn't enter. If you do enter, you do have to vote, but we'd encourage as many people to vote as possible.

As the voting only takes minutes, the "can't find the time" isn't really an excuse! :p

EDIT: Wait, where did Pink Panther's post go? :lol:

jay37415

Mega Poster
I knew about a week before the comp ended that mine was a mess. I didnt have the time to restart from scratch.

Its nice to see everyone stepping up their game in terms of scener, station, etc. The level is a lot higher than last year. However, one thing I noticed about this competition is that IMHO the realism wasnt there. The competition was to build a B&M Flying Coaster and a majority of rides had more of a Vekoma Feel to it. (all the turns in a laydown position vs. flying). I only know of one B&M flyer that has one turn on its back (Galactica). However all these coasters seemed to score well in the realism category. So I would like some clarification on how "realism" is defined. Is it realism to the coaster type actually produced bby the manufacturer or realism in the sense that the coaster couldn't physically be possible in the real world.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
jay37415 said:
Is it realism to the coaster type actually produced bby the manufacturer or realism in the sense that the coaster couldn't physically be possible in the real world.
I think a bit of both. If it's not possible in the real world due to the forces being skeleton crushing and structure not being sensible, then you're going to lose points very rapidly. If you've shaped a B&M corkscrew like a circular Arrow corkscrew rather than a B&M flatspin, then you'll probably lose fewer points, however the little details do matter in designing a good ride.

I always take realism to mean "make it feel like it's from the specific manufacturer".

It would seem a bit odd to me to go into these competitions not being able to innovate new ride ideas and elements, simply because that manufacturer hasn't done something like that before. I think the difference is more the feel and shaping of elements.

You could make a 300ft tall floater filled hyper coaster running Eurofighter trains and it could be perfectly supported and with all the forces in check. Would that be realistic? Probably not. You could make a B&M flyer with a few more of the "lying" turns than we've currently seen on existing models. Would that be realistic? Probably.

Unfortunately this isn't very black and white, and one ends up rambling a lot when discussing it, but does that at least make some sort of sense?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
See the ones that spent more time on their back I dinged for the reason of feeling venom vekoma but it's hard to take away from the build quality, as being realistic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk