What's new

Flooding at Busch Gardens Tampa

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It really came down when Taylor, AJ & I visited the park nearly a month ago, but nothing like this! :shock:

10171075_552717851513185_4910517027981597115_n.jpg

From Theme Park Thrillgeek's Facebook page.

Here's what some of the surrounding streets looked like at the time.

Bmow9c-IEAA5xxs.jpg:large

From the Weather Channel.

marc

CF Legend
I've been reading that the water parks shut in Orlando and the main parks were on reduced hours.

Never knew it was that bad :(

Cheers for posting that.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
OMG that's kind of awesome! I didn't think my #1 could get any better...but it now has a splashdown! :p

I want to see the other trenches now!

Smithy

Strata Poster
I imagine the somewhat sudden deceleration probably wouldn't feel too fun in truth, nor would valleying back under the water whislt harnessed in :p

aquatrax, water coaster yadda yadda I really missed my cue with the obvious cliche jokes

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Judging from the CF POV of the ride on YouTube, the surveillance cameras seen to the right of the trench are a little lower than the eyes of an adult rider, so you probably wouldn't drown. Probably. Better pump out a couple of decimetres and try then.

Lofty

CF Legend
Wow. That's incredible, could this cause a lot of physical damage to the track and/or LSM launch system?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Lofty said:
Wow. That's incredible, could this cause a lot of physical damage to the track and/or LSM launch system?
It would be hard to say, but I wouldn't imagine it would be too bad. Typically when things are designed to be 'waterproof' they're made to be very waterproof. It's my understanding that (and this is based off the electronics designed for the offshore cranes that I did some research into for my thesis, so not exactly comparable but relatively close) electronic components are often rated to many many tens of meters (minimum). If you're going to go to the effort of making it waterproof you have to do enough sealing and pressure testing to mean that it's likely going to be able to withstand much more than the few meters of water here. Obviously there's dirt and grime that's going to get in there, but if it's all sealed up well enough I can't imagine it'll do too much damage.

As for the track/supports, I really can't imagine this sort of thing would too much damage. Overall I think it'll probably just need some cleaning up.

bmac

Giga Poster
Hixee said:
As for the track/supports, I really can't imagine this sort of thing would too much damage. Overall I think it'll probably just need some cleaning up.

Hershey does this every time there's flooding. Parts of Great Bear, Storm Runner, Soops, and the Comet have been underwater multiple times and nothing has really come of it. The last time they were flooded was during Irene in 2011.

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Was in Florida during this.. Was extremely fun! Nearly had a car crash because of the flash floods (Only thing to describe them!) Rainfall only lasted 4-5 hours the first day in Orlando, Waterparks were open until the storms threatened to hit, which was good. Main parks were open as normal, until, again, lightning was overhead, only really outside rides and water rides that closed then reopened when they eventually passed.