What's new

Flamingo Land | Sik | Intamin 10 Inversion Coaster | 2022

spicy

Giga Poster
The site doesn't exactly seem like a hive of activity at the moment judging from Crash Coaster's pics. Seems like they are in no rush.

I would imagine if groundwork is now underway digging out for the cobra roll pit/trenches will have to take place pretty soon? That's one of the more major parts of the groundwork I would assume and every 10 inversion model seems to go below ground level at that point.

otwidalepda

Roller Poster
Could Merlin have been in touch regarding the use of their coaster in promotional material and that has resulted in signs/posters being removed?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
There's a lot of pile drilling going on at the moment, that seems to be the main focus for now.

If I'm being honest, I actually think the coaster will be elevated above ground so they won't have to dig trenches for it, not to mention the coaster has to go over a path twice.

Crazyspike

Roller Poster
The trenches are on the drawing submitted for approval so it will go below ground I'd assume.. And hi by the way long time lurker hoping flamingoland might finally put in a signature coaster that moves it up a notch as so far this year it has been the quietest in memory..

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
Pile drilling and pouring footers shouldn't take take too long as they can get large pieces of equipment in (The opposite of course being the case with Icon).

Pierre

Strata Poster
I have heard from my original source the Malaysian park still haven’t paid Hopi Hari the full balance for the coaster and there is a bit of legal contention going on regarding who actually owns the coaster(!)

I’m assuming this bypasses Flamingo Land and it’s between the other two parks to settle otherwise planning, groundwork and promotion of the coaster would be silly?

Edit: I have just seen their competition winner has been announced and the answer was ‘C’ apparently costing Flamingo Land just over £20m?! That can’t be right surely!

Edit 2: they changed the original question to how much the project cost and not just the actual coaster. Even with the change to the question I can’t help but feel they’ve been ripped off or it’s BS.

Attachments

• D61C9878-9A97-4D77-8728-0C49A324C848.png
    D61C9878-9A97-4D77-8728-0C49A324C848.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Pierre

Strata Poster
They changed the original question. The whole project is costing that (not just the coaster) so construction, groundwork etc but still doesn’t add up.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
They changed the original question. The whole project is costing that (not just the coaster) so construction, groundwork etc but still doesn’t add up.

As you say, that still doesn't add up.

For some perspective, when Merlin market their big rides, the cost is for the overall project, not just the ride. At £20.4m, that would be more expensive than any other Merlin project (except maybe Ghost Train). Which makes it ridiculous.

Surely there's something wrong with outright lying in a competition based on facts? And if they're not wrong, they've completely ripped themselves off. Surely be better off buying a smaller, new model requiring less groundwork and working out cheaper overall?

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
£20million for a coaster that's basically not even unique in our small country... That's either bull**** or terrible negotiating from the park! ?

Mind you, the exchange rate is bloody terrible at the moment!

MakoMania

Mega Poster
When they say that £20m is the total project cost, that may include the purchase of the ride, planning application costs, groundwork costs, coaster construction costs, staff training costs, marketing budget for the ride and any theming that is planned. So a lot more than the ride itself.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
When they say that £20m is the total project cost, that may include the purchase of the ride, planning application costs, groundwork costs, coaster construction costs, staff training costs, marketing budget for the ride and any theming that is planned. So a lot more than the ride itself.

Smiler as a project cost £18m, and included purchase of the ride, planning application costs, (significant) groundwork costs, coaster construction costs, staff training costs (significant) marketing costs, theming, etc. Even adjusting with inflation, this project is still more than Smiler.

Simply put, if that cost is accurate, Flamingo Land have mugged themselves off.

GregBoxall

Roller Poster
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I heard the coaster was brought at auction for around £3,000,000. Painting, shipping, installation and theming will cost money, but surely not another £17,000,000...