What's new

Flamingo Land | Sik | Intamin 10 Inversion Coaster | 2022

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I doubt Flamingoland will be worried about seemingly "copying" other coasters, they'll be lucky enough to get any coaster at all!

This rumour seems too ridiculous to be true but we'll see.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I've been looking at the pictures of that 10 Inversion coaster, and they were taken in January 2012, which likely means the ride was manufactured in 2011. Would a ride that has been in storage for around 8 years still be fit for operation?

Last edited:

T0M

Hyper Poster
I've been looking at the pictures of that 10 Inversion coaster, and they were taken in January 2012, which likely means the ride was manufactured in 2011. Would a ride that has been in storage for 8 years still be fit for operation?
Absolutely - more fit than one that had been in use in a lot of ways.

Matt N

CF Legend
Matt N it is on their rumours page http://riderater.co.uk/rumours/
SilverArrow where were you searching for planning applications? I know Flamingo Land falls under Ryedale county so was searching planning applications on there but I don’t think it’s accurate/up to date as when you search ‘coaster’ the most recent one was magnum force in 1999 lol - and if you search flamingo land it’s usually applications for extending tourism dates etc?

Edit: what’s the Malaysian one? Does anyone have RCDB link?
Ah right, thanks @Pierre!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I've been looking at the pictures of that 10 Inversion coaster, and they were taken in January 2012, which likely means the ride was manufactured in 2011. Would a ride that has been in storage for around 8 years still be fit for operation?
Go on RCDB and have a look at the coasters built in the UK in recent years. There's a lot of stuff put up in recent years that was manufactured in the 1980s. 8 years is nothing for a second-(third?)-hand coaster.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
Go on RCDB and have a look at the coasters built in the UK in recent years. There's a lot of stuff put up in recent years that was manufactured in the 1980s. 8 years is nothing for a second-(third?)-hand coaster.
But its been in storage and not functioned well ever, if that same logic applies why haven't we seen KSGM out at Dreamland?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
But its been in storage and not functioned well ever, if that same logic applies why haven't we seen KSGM out at Dreamland?
Are you comparing a ride that opened in 1960 and operated almost non stop until 2000 with a ride that was built in 2011 and hasnt operated yet?

I am definitely excited for this if its true! Someone replied on my Insta about this and they said that footers are already going up and construction has started and the children's rides that are in the way of the development have been relocated to their new locations, which we don't know where abouts they are relocated to in the park as of yet. It's looking very likely!

Matt N

CF Legend
I am definitely excited for this if its true! Someone replied on my Insta about this and they said that footers are already going up and construction has started and the children's rides that are in the way of the development have been relocated to their new locations, which we don't know where abouts they are relocated to in the park as of yet. It's looking very likely!
Very exciting if true; certainly slipped under everyone's radar!

Flamingo Land never really announce anything in that much advance. Compared to the bigger parks, they don't do months of teasing and they'll straight up announce it with a couple of months to go. 2013 with the two coasters and Zamperla Magic Bikes ride is a prime example

Sandman

Giga Poster
Are ride rater at all reliable though? No specific source? I mean it's somewhat possible that a new coaster could be in the works but I can't really (at this stage) see where the 10 inversion thing comes into play aside from the fact there is one just knocking about in Malaysia. Does anyone have any idea of approximate cost of said coaster?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Does anyone have any idea of approximate cost of said coaster?
Colossus was £13.5 million back in 2002. When accounting for inflation by adding 50 % to that number, and then subtracting two thirds of the sum because it's a third-hand ride, we're being overly optimistic, but still end up with more money than Flamingoland has ever spent on anything before: £7 million, give or take (or: halve it or double it).

That being said, Kumali was £6 million in 2006. If Flamingoland managed to secure a good deal, and have the financial backing from their camping resort(?), and a touch of eccentric ambition, it's not completely unfeasible that they could build a ride of that size.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Colossus was £13.5 million back in 2002. When accounting for inflation by adding 50 % to that number, and then subtracting two thirds of the sum because it's a third-hand ride, we're being overly optimistic, but still end up with more money than Flamingoland has ever spent on anything before: £7 million, give or take (or: halve it or double it).

I'm guessing that you got that number off Wikipedia (just from a quick online search)? As I know with a large degree of certainty that Colossus only cost ~£8m in 2002, including the landscaping, etc. In today's money that's just under £13m

I don't know how cheap they'd be able to get it, but assuming they got a 10 inversion coaster on a flat piece of land, they might be able to get it for around £5-7m. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility for the park; they do get quite large visitor numbers (possibly the biggest out of all the non-Merlin parks), and they've spent that much in the past like you say.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Am I being naive or couldn't they get something in a similar realm of size/significance for a similar-ish price without having to ship parts from Asia etc? Without a direct source it's hard to link that specific coaster to Flamingoland, so I look forward to any further information. Skepticism aside, I would love Flamingo Land to get a new major cred. They love a good Vekoma up there... something like Lech Coaster would be great for them. And that cost just under £4 mill I think.

shawnoc

Mega Poster
This is Flamingoland tho, they will pull a Six Flags and build a Larson Loop and run so it inverts 10 times then claim it’s a coaster. ;)