What's new

Flamingo Land | Sik | Intamin 10 Inversion Coaster | 2022

Dar

Hyper Poster
What was left to do on it? They'd started the pull-through before everything went to pot, so I guess it's mostly just the area and landscape? If so, tarmac doesn't take a couple of months to sort :p

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The ride still needs to test, be re-painted, and landscaped (well as much as FL are prepared to do). That can't be done overnight, so an August opening would require work to resume NOW, otherwise, there's no chance.

Peet

Giga Poster
This conversation is going in circles! I suppose I might as well join in the speculation. To the best of my recollection, pull-through tests are typically 1-2 months in advance of ride opening so there is probably now 1-2 months of work left to do. Opening the coaster for the summer seems like a reasonable possibility if they start work soon.

However they may well decide (like Alton) that there's little point launching a big new attraction this year when attendance will be so limited, so I wouldn't be surprised (but I will be disappointed) if they delay it to 2021.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If it’s wild speculation you’re after how about this... They throw up the tin can of a station... leave the painting and any ‘none essential’ works until next year... And open it in July. Just because.

MillenniumT

Roller Poster
I personally think similar to other parks around the UK it would make allot more sense to hold off and wait till a 2021 opening. Gives them the rest of the year to finish work and possibly improve on their original plans in sense of landscaping and the overall finish of the area. Instead of rushing it to get it open, As lets be honest the new addition probably wont increase the attendance as much as what it would of done under normal circumstances (Because of covid-19). So in my opinion it would be best to wait, Use the winter to advertise the ride more to the GP and then have it open with the park next season. Hopefully the world will be back to some sort of normal and gives them a full season to fully reap the rewards of the new ride and celebrate it instead of it being overshadowed by whats happened this year.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
I could see Flamingo Land rush to get it open to be honest, but who knows.

Can imagine painting it would take quite a long time and they obviously cant do testing at the same time.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I could see Flamingo Land rush to get it open to be honest, but who knows.

Can imagine painting it would take quite a long time and they obviously cant do testing at the same time.

Really? I see the opposite happening...
The whole point in a new attraction is to bring in more people and increase a parks attendance, whilst the capacity is limited it would be pointless trying to push to get this open for this season as they wouldn’t get the proper benefit of opening a new major coaster.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
Really? I see the opposite happening...
The whole point in a new attraction is to bring in more people and increase a parks attendance, whilst the capacity is limited it would be pointless trying to push to get this open for this season as they wouldn’t get the proper benefit of opening a new major coaster.

Flamingo Land generally make wierd decisions in my experience though, lol.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Mingo make their money from the campsite, not the zoo and park.
They will want the new ride open for their autumn campers I think.

TheMaverick

Roller Poster
Mingo make their money from the campsite, not the zoo and park.
They will want the new ride open for their autumn campers I think.

They want people to believe they spent 20 million on this ride. I don't think they're going to open it without absolutely everything done beforehand given they've already claimed that almost definitely exaggerated cost.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
As discussed elsewhere, that pricetag for Flight of the Phoenix covers hardware costs exclusively. Deconstruction, shipping reconstruction, landscaping, etc will certainly inflate that price to familiar numbers, but by no means near Flamingoland's claimed $20m number.

owenjohn

Roller Poster
While 20 million does sound overpriced, you have to remember the site the ride sits on was concrete, and this had to be removed before construction started. Waste removal isn't a cheap business .The 2 holes the cobra roll sit in won't have been cheap to dig either, due to having to get rid of the waste. Colossus cost £13,500,000 back in 2002, factor in inflation and you soon hit 20m

Ethan

Strata Poster
While 20 million does sound overpriced, you have to remember the site the ride sits on was concrete, and this had to be removed before construction started. Waste removal isn't a cheap business .The 2 holes the cobra roll sit in won't have been cheap to dig either, due to having to get rid of the waste. Colossus cost £13,500,000 back in 2002, factor in inflation and you soon hit 20m
Yeah you're right but then you remember that this coaster was sat in a swamp for years and was probably heavily discounted because of it. Colossus was not.

TheMaverick987

Roller Poster

I used to work at Flamingo Land until the end of summer in 2019. The roumor that was going round the entire rides department including management was that Gordon got it for about 2 or 3 million. Landscaping alone isnt going to cost 17 or 18 million. I dont think even Nemesis cost that much for landscaping.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Is the £20m figure just for this ride though? I accept there are a lot of costs involved with concrete disposal and stuff (site clearing is expensive stuff), but is this not a total park investment? It's not unlikely that the assets beyond the park are being worked on too, or has the figure been mixed up with the Flamingoland Coast project?