What's new

Flamingo Land | Sik | Intamin 10 Inversion Coaster | 2022

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
This was all I could get out of Flamingo Land- "The cost given is the full project cost of the ride."
So I guess the £20 million includes everything involved with the coaster (training, construction etc) but nothing else- in other words no flat rides or new enterance...

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
This was all I could get out of Flamingo Land- "The cost given is the full project cost of the ride."
So I guess the £20 million includes everything involved with the coaster (training, construction etc) but nothing else- in other words no flat rides or new enterance...
I don't buy it.
But they are probably not the only ones to have told porkies about such projects. I also don't believe the tall SLC at Fantasy Island cost £28 million. Galactica opened the same year for £12 million. Duel loading station, first B&M flying coaster, difficult area to install and deliver steel to. Fantasy Island's coaster is literally standing on a car park.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Remember a park like Flamingo (and fanny island) will need loans to make investments like this. Will probably be £20m after they finished paying the loan off... With interest etc.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ok, so I haven't been able to take any more photos, but basically what has happened in this past week is pretty much just pile driving so nothing really interesting. They are really early in construction, so I don't expect track/supports to arrive for another couple of months, or any vertical construction until the park closes for the winter at the rate they seem to be going.

Last edited:

jjwitton94

Roller Poster
Most companies exaggerate the price of things. Many companies say they are investing £20million over the next five years where in reality it's more like £5million. I cannot imagine a rollercoaster from a few years ago that has not been built and sat about for a few years is going to cost £20million. I would imagine it is costing Flamingo Land probably 50% to 60% the value of it's original value as 'assets' depreciate over time. Only one way to find out is to view Flamingo Lands accounts next year to see the exact figure which will sit within the accounts as a new asset and of-course the debt increase.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Depends on how much they are planning on spending on theming. Then legal fees may have spiralled, then there is the extra cost of getting the equipment and track to a difficult site (the park is not on a major road). Costs can shoot up in really unexpected areas.

rob666

Hyper Poster
The park has easy flat access on main roads until the last couple of miles.
They don't do theming!
The numbers are made up, for hype, as a great number of small parks tend to do.
A ride op on the park laughed when I told her twenty million.
She suggested about a quarter of that, in total, including delivery and construction.
The whole park is run on a shoestring budget, and it really shows when you walk round the park.
Many cracked windows in the zoo, theming crumbling, extremely poor operations, the whole place looks very well worn.

Peet

Giga Poster

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
This may be my overactive imagination - it is very hard to tell - but I think one of the yellow blobs might be getting smaller.

Photo from 22nd Aug:
View attachment 6094

And from 27th Aug:
View attachment 6092

Thanks @roomraider for the tutorial! For those that missed it a couple of pages back, the link is here: https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/?lat=4.664567&lng=101.082265&zoom=18&time=2019-08-07&preset=1_TRUE_COLOR&datasource=Sentinel-2 L1C

And a copy of the Google Earth image from roomraider's post:
View attachment 6095
I'd agree with you - However its worth baring in mind that it can take around 2 weeks for things to be shipped from Malaysia to the UK, then the track/supports have to be repainted.

Peet

Giga Poster
There is no chance that this is being painted at Hopi Hari and we can no longer see the yellow supports because they are now grey?
No I think it's unlikely they would ship it from Malaysia back to Brazil just to paint it :p .

There's also no chance they would paint it on-site in Malaysia; it will almost certainly go to some kind of workshop.